1. T. Shimelis, K. Lemma, H. Ambachew and E. Tadesse, "Syphilis among people with
HIV infection in southern Ethiopia: sero-prevalence and risk factors," BMC infectious diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 189, 2015.
2. L. Vera, D. Milka, S.-L. Nurith and S. Eilat, "Prevalence and incidence of syphilis
among volunteer blood donors in Israel," Journal of blood transfusion, vol. 2014, 2014.
3. O. Loza, T. L. Patterson, M. Rusch, G. A. Martínez, R. Lozada, H. Staines‐Orozco,
C. Magis‐Rodríguez and S. A. Strathdee, "Drug‐related behaviors independently associated
with syphilis infection among female sex workers in two Mexico–US border cities,"
Addiction, vol. 105, no. 8, pp. 1448-1456, 2010.
4. G. Elyamany, "Prevalence of Syphilis among Blood and Stem Cell Donors in Saudi
Arabia: An Institutional Experience," Electronic physician, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2747, 2016.
5. WHO, "Global Health Observatory (GHO) data-Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
", Ed., 2018.
6. WHO, "Blood Donor Selection-Guidelines on Assessing Donor Suitability for Blood
Donation ", Ed., 2012.
7. E. L. Korenromp, G. Mahiané, J. Rowley, N. Nagelkerke, L. Abu-Raddad, F. Ndowa,
A. El-Kettani, H. El-Rhilani, P. Mayaud and R. M. Chico, "Estimating prevalence trends
in adult gonorrhoea and syphilis in low-and middle-income countries with the Spectrum-STI
model: results for Zimbabwe and Morocco from 1995 to 2016," Sex Transm Infect, pp. sextrans-2016-052953, 2017.
8. T. Deressa, W. Birhan, B. Enawgaw, M. Abebe, H. W. Baynes, M. Desta, B. Terefe
and M. Melku, "Proportion and predictors of transfusion-transmissible infections among
blood donors in North Shewa Zone, Central North Ethiopia," PloS one, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. e0194083, 2018.
9. E. Quintas, A. D. C. Cogle, A. Sebastião, A. da Costa Pereira, A. Sarmento, J.
Van-Dúnem and L. Cordeiro, "Prevalence of syphilis in blood donors in angola from
2011 to 2016," 2018.
10. F. Sarkodie, O. Hassall, E. Owusu-Dabo, S. Owusu-Ofori, I. Bates, I. C. Bygbjerg,
J. K. Ansah and H. Ullum, "Syphilis screening practices in blood transfusion facilities
in Ghana," International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 43, pp. 90-94, 2016.
11. NACP, "2017 HIV Sentinel Reports," Ed., 2018.
12. G. B. Gomez, M. L. Kamb, L. M. Newman, J. Mark, N. Broutet and S. J. Hawkes, "Untreated
maternal syphilis and adverse outcomes of pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis,"
Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 91, pp. 217-226, 2013.
13. N. S. Wijesooriya, R. W. Rochat, M. L. Kamb, P. Turlapati, M. Temmerman, N. Broutet
and L. M. Newman, "Global burden of maternal and congenital syphilis in 2008 and 2012:
a health systems modelling study," The Lancet Global health, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. e525-e533, 2016.
14. CDC, "Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance 2017," Ed., 2018.
15. JUNP/WHO, "Guidelines for conducting HIV sentinel serosurveys among pregnant women
and other groups," Ed., 2003.
16. J. Osei-Yeboah, S. Y. Lokpo, F. A. Ussher, V. N. Orish, A.-W. M. Hamid, M. P.
Dakorah, T. Ntoni, E. A. Nani, F. Ayroe and D. Adigbli, "The Epidemiology of Human
Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Syphilis in Ghana: A Five-Year Single Urban Site
Parallel Population-Based Analysis vis-à-vis the Sentinel Survey," Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 2018, 2018.
17. GAC, "Summary of the 2017 HIV Sentinel Survey Report, Ghana AIDS Commission, Ghana,"
18. A. Amsalu, G. Ferede and D. Assegu, "High seroprevalence of syphilis infection
among pregnant women in Yiregalem hospital southern Ethiopia," BMC infectious diseases, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 109, 2018.
19. M. Melku, A. Kebede and Z. Addis, "Magnitude of HIV and syphilis seroprevalence
among pregnant women in gondar, northwest ethiopia: a cross-sectional study," HIV/AIDS (Auckland, NZ), vol. 7, pp. 175, 2015.
20. Y. C. Manabe, G. Namale, E. Nalintya, J. Sempa, R. P. Ratanshi, N. Pakker and
E. Katabira, "Integration of antenatal syphilis screening in an urban HIV clinic:
a feasibility study," BMC infectious diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 15, 2015.
21. H. Frickmann, N. G. Schwarz, M. Girmann, R. M. Hagen, S. Poppert, S. Crusius,
A. Podbielski, J. N. Heriniaina, T. Razafindrabe and J. P. Rakotondrainiarivelo, "Serological
survey of HIV and syphilis in pregnant women in Madagascar," Tropical Medicine & International Health, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 35-39, 2013.
22. R. O. Swai, M. I. Matee, J. Killewo, E. F. Lyamuya, G. Kwesigabo, T. Tulli, T.
K. Kabalimu, R. Isingo and J. Ndayongeje, "Surveillance of HIV and syphilis infections
among antenatal clinic attendees in Tanzania-2003/2004," BMC Public Health, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 91, 2006.
23. D. Kassa, G. Gebremichael, T. Tilahun, A. Ayalkebet, Y. Abrha, G. Mesfin, Y. Belay,
M. Demissie, A. Gebrexiabher and Y. Assefa, "Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections
(HIV, hepatitis B virus, herpes simplex virus type 2, and syphilis) in pregnant women
in Ethiopia: Trends over 10 years (2005–2014)," International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 79, pp. 50-57, 2019.
24. R. S. Kularatne, R. Niit, J. Rowley, T. Kufa-Chakezha, R. P. Peters, M. M. Taylor,
L. F. Johnson and E. L. Korenromp, "Adult gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis prevalence,
incidence, treatment and syndromic case reporting in South Africa: Estimates using
the Spectrum-STI model, 1990-2017," PloS one, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. e0205863, 2018.
25. F. Magaji, A. Ocheke, V. Pam, T. Afolaramin, J. Musa, A. Sagay and A. Zoakah,
"Coverage and Uptake of Syphilis Screening among Pregnant Women Attending Antenatal
Care: A 5-Year Review in Plateau State, Nigeria," International Journal of Advanced Research in Gynaecology and Obstetrics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 6-10, 2018.
26. E. Balla and G. G. Donders, "Features of syphilis seropositive pregnant women
raising alarms in Hungary, 2013–2016," European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 228, pp. 274-278, 2018.
27. WHO, "The global elimination of congenital syphilis: rationale and strategy for
action; 2007," Ed., 2007.
28. M. Borgdorff, L. Barongo, A. Klokke, K. Senkoro, J. Newell, A. Nicoll, F. Mosha,
H. Grosskurth and R. Swai, "Sentinel surveillance for HIV-1 infection: how representative
are blood donors, outpatients with fever, anaemia, or sexually transmitted diseases,
and antenatal clinic attenders in Mwanza Region, Tanzania?," AIDS (London, England), vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 567-572, 1993.
29. G. Kwesigabo, J. Z. Killewo, W. Urassa, E. Mbena, F. Mhalu, J. Lugalla, C. Godoy,
G. Biberfeld, M. Emmelin and S. Wall, "Monitoring of HIV-1 infection prevalence and
trends in the general population using pregnant women as a sentinel population: 9
years experience from the Kagera region of Tanzania," Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes (1999), vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 410-417, 2000.
30. J. Changalucha, H. Grosskurth, W. Mwita, J. Todd, D. Ross, P. Mayaud, A. Mahamoud,
A. Klokke, F. Mosha and R. Hayes, "Comparison of HIV prevalences in community-based
and antenatal clinic surveys in rural Mwanza, Tanzania," Aids, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 661-665, 2002.
31. A. H. Kilian, S. Gregson, B. Ndyanabangi, K. Walusaga, W. Kipp, G. Sahlmüller,
G. P. Garnett, G. Asiimwe-Okiror, G. Kabagambe and P. Weis, "Reductions in risk behaviour
provide the most consistent explanation for declining HIV-1 prevalence in Uganda,"
Aids, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 391-398, 1999.
32. K. Fylkesnes, Z. Ndhlovu, K. Kasumba, R. M. Musonda and M. Sichone, "Studying
dynamics of the HIV epidemic: population-based data compared with sentinel surveillance
in Zambia," Aids, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1227-1242, 1998.
33. E. Boisson, A. Nicoll, B. Zaba and L. C. Rodrigues, "Interpreting HIV seroprevalence
data from pregnant women," JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 434-439, 1996.
34. B. Zaba and S. Gregson, "Measuring the impact of HIV on fertility in Africa,"
AIDS (London, England), vol. 12, pp. S41-50, 1998.
35. S. Gregson, T. Zhuwau, R. M. Anderson, T. Chimbadzwa and S. K. Chiwandiwa, "Age
and religion selection biases in HIV-1 prevalence data from antenatal clinics in Manicaland,
Zimbabwe," The Central African journal of medicine, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 339-346, 1995.
36. E. Gonese, J. Dzangare, S. Gregson, N. Jonga, O. Mugurungi and V. Mishra, "Comparison
of HIV prevalence estimates for Zimbabwe from antenatal clinic surveillance (2006)
and the 2005–06 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey," PLoS one, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. e13819, 2010.
37. M. Endris, T. Deressa, Y. Belyhun and F. Moges, "Seroprevalence of syphilis and
human immunodeficiency virus infections among pregnant women who attend the University
of Gondar teaching hospital, Northwest Ethiopia: a cross sectional study," BMC infectious diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 111, 2015.
38. L. Pham, G. Woelk, Y. Ning, S. Madzime, S. Mudzamiri, K. Mahomed and M. Williams,
"Seroprevalence and risk factors of syphilis infection in pregnant women delivering
at Harare Maternity Hospital, Zimbabwe," The Central African journal of medicine, vol. 51, no. 3-4, pp. 24-30, 2005.
39. L.-G. Yang, J. D. Tucker, F.-Y. Liu, X.-Q. Ren, X. Hong, C. Wang, M. M. McLaughlin,
C. H. Bien, X.-S. Chen and B. Yang, "Syphilis screening among 27,150 pregnant women
in South Chinese rural areas using point-of-care tests," PloS one, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. e72149, 2013.
40. D. E. Noyola, O. Malacara-Alfaro, V. Lima-Rogel and A. Torres-Montes, "Seroprevalence
of syphilis in pregnant women in San Luis Potosí," Salud publica de Mexico, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 151-154, 2006.
41. GAC, "Summary of the 2016 HIV Sentinel Survey Report, Ghana AIDS Commission, Ghana,"
42. E. Maclean, "Sex and the Cities: The Impact of Urbanisation on Sexually Transmitted
Disease," Ed., 2016.
43. F. Anwar, I. A. Shah and M. Zeeshan, "Prevalence of Syphilis in Blood Donors in
District Mardan Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Pakistan," International Journal of Contemporary Research and Review, vol. 9, no. 07, pp. 20257-20261, 2018.
44. L. S. Coffin, A. Newberry, H. Hagan, C. M. Cleland, D. C. Des Jarlais and D. C.
Perlman, "Syphilis in drug users in low and middle income countries," International Journal of Drug Policy, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 20-27, 2010.
45. J. Gao, J. Xu, Y. Sheng, X. Zhang, C. Zhang, Y. Li, B. Liang, L. Sun, S. Yang
and X. Zhang, "Increasing trend of syphilis and infection resistance: a retrospective
study," International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. e971-e976, 2013.