1. Comprehensive Medical Evaluation and Assessment of Comorbidities: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2020. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(Supplement 1):S37-S47.
2. Huo L, Harding JL, Peeters A, Shaw JE, Magliano DJ. Life expectancy of type 1 diabetic patients during 1997–2010: a national Australian registry-based cohort study. Diabetologia. 2016;59(6):1177-85.
3. Angus VC, Waugh N. Hospital admission patterns subsequent to diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children : a systematic review. BMC Health Services Research. 2007;7(1):199.
4. McIntyre HD, Knight BA, Harvey DM, Noud MN, Hagger VL, Gilshenan KS. Dose adjustment for normal eating (DAFNE) - an audit of outcomes in Australia. Med J Aust. 2010;192(11):637-40.
5. Elliott J, Jacques RM, Kruger J, Campbell MJ, Amiel SA, Mansell P, et al. Substantial reductions in the number of diabetic ketoacidosis and severe hypoglycaemia episodes requiring emergency treatment lead to reduced costs after structured education in adults with Type 1 diabetes. Diabet Med. 2014;31(7):847-53.
6. Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT) Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. New England Journal of Medicine. 1993;329(14):977-86.
7. Nathan DM, DCCT/EDIC Research Group. The diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications study at 30 years: overview. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(1):9-16.
8. Lv J, Perkovic V, Foote CV, Craig ME, Craig JC, Strippoli GF. Antihypertensive agents for preventing diabetic kidney disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012;12:CD004136.
9. Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ (CTT) Collaborators, Kearney PM, Blackwell L, Collins R, Keech A, Simes J, et al. Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18,686 people with diabetes in 14 randomised trials of statins: a meta-analysis. Lancet. 2008;371(9607):117-25.
10. Craig M, Twigg S, Donaghue K, Cheung N, Cameron F, Conn J, et al. National evidence-based clinical care guidelines for type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents and adults. Canberra: Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. 2011;346.
11. National Clinical Guideline Centre. Type 1 diabetes in adults: diagnosis and management (NG 17). London: NICE; 2015.
12. Australian National Diabetes Audit - Australian Quality Clinical Audit Final Report. NADC; 2017.
13. Australian National Diabetes Audit - Australian Quality Self-Management Audit. NADC; 2018.
14. Gupta A, Taylor F, O'Sullivan T, Simmons D. Characteristics of young adults with multiple episodes of diabetic ketoacidosis. Intern Med J. 2019;49(7):911-4.
15. Burns K, Farrell K, Myszka R, Park K, Holmes-Walker DJ. Access to a youth-specific service for young adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus is associated with decreased hospital length of stay for diabetic ketoacidosis. Intern Med J. 2018;48(4):396-402.
16. Bryant, Wendy, Greenfield, Jerry R, Chisholm DJ, Campbell LV. Diabetes guidelines: easier to preach than to practise? Medical Journal of Australia. 2006;185(6):305-9.
17. McKnight JA, Wild SH, Lamb MJ, Cooper MN, Jones TW, Davis EA, et al. Glycaemic control of Type 1 diabetes in clinical practice early in the 21st century: an international comparison. Diabet Med. 2015;32(8):1036-50.
18. National Diabetes Audit - Report 1 Care Processes and Treatment Targets 2017-18. NHS Digital; 2019.
19. National Diabetes Audit Complications and Mortality 2015-2016. NHS Digital; 2017.
20. RACGP. General practice management of type 2 diabetes: 2016-18. East Melbourne, Vic: RACGP; 2016.
21. Lyons SK, Libman IM, Sperling MA. Diabetes in the Adolescent: Transitional Issues. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2013;98(12):4639-45.
22. Maahs DM, Hermann JM, Holman N, Foster NC, Kapellen TM, Allgrove J, et al. Rates of Diabetic Ketoacidosis: International Comparison With 49,859 Pediatric Patients With Type 1 Diabetes From England, Wales, the U.S., Austria, and Germany. Diabetes Care. 2015;38(10):1876-82.
23. De Bock M, Jones TW, Fairchild J, Mouat F, Jefferies C. Children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes in Australasia: An online survey of model of care, workforce and outcomes. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2019;55(1):82-6.
24. Foster NC, Beck RW, Miller KM, Clements MA, Rickels MR, DiMeglio LA, et al. State of type 1 diabetes management and outcomes from the T1D Exchange in 2016–2018. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics. 2019;21(2):66-72.
25. Swasey KK, Orchard TJ, Costacou T. Trends in cardiovascular risk factor management in type 1 diabetes by sex. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications. 2018;32(4):411-7.
26. Syed A, Hussain S, Nightingale P, De P, Charlton MH, Gangopadhyay K, et al. Cardiovascular risk factors and their management in 1282 adult people with type 1 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2007;23(12):2921-7.
27. Association AD. 1. Improving Care and Promoting Health in Populations: <em>Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes</em>—<em>2020</em>. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(Supplement 1):S7-S13.
28. Goenka N, Turner B, Vora J. Commissioning specialist diabetes services for adults with diabetes: summary of a Diabetes UK Task and Finish group report. Diabet Med. 2011;28(12):1494-500.
29. Dafne Study G. Training in flexible, intensive insulin management to enable dietary freedom in people with type 1 diabetes: dose adjustment for normal eating (DAFNE) randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2002;325(7367):746-.
30. Osuagwu UL, Osuagwu J, Piya MK, Wong V, Simmons D. Prevalence of Diabetes Mellitus and Risk Factors in South Western Sydney: Where Are We Now? 2019.
31. District SWSLH. Health Profiles of Local Communities. In: District SWSLH, editor.: NSW Health; 2014.
32. Petrak F, Baumeister H, Skinner TC, Brown A, Holt RIG. Depression and diabetes: treatment and health-care delivery. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. 2015;3(6):472-85.
33. Diabetes U. Minding the Gap: the provision of psychological support and care for people with diabetes in the UK. 2008.
34. Peyrot M, Rubin RR, Lauritzen T, Snoek FJ, Matthews DR, Skovlund SE. Psychosocial problems and barriers to improved diabetes management: results of the Cross-National Diabetes Attitudes, Wishes and Needs (DAWN) Study. Diabetic Medicine. 2005;22(10):1379-85.
35. Simmons D, Wenzel H, Zgibor JC. Integrated Diabetes Care: A Multidisciplinary Approach: Springer; 2016.
36. Digital N. National Pregnancy in Diabetes (NPID) Audit Report 2018. UK; 2019.
37. Health AIo, Welfare. Diabetes. Canberra: AIHW; 2019.
38. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2019 Abridged for Primary Care Providers. Clinical Diabetes. 2019;37(1):11-34.
39. Cardiovascular disease: risk assessment and reduction, including lipid modification [CG181]. NICE; 2014.
40. Ray JG, O'Brien TE, Chan WS. Preconception care and the risk of congenital anomalies in the offspring of women with diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis. Qjm. 2001;94(8):435-44.
41. Sina M, Macmillan F, Dune T, Balasuriya N, Khouri N, Nguyen N, et al. Development of an integrated, district-wide approach to pre-pregnancy management for women with pre-existing diabetes in a multi-ethnic population. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2018;18(1).
42. Lines S, Natarajan B. Proteinuria: The Renal Association; 2017 [Available from: https://renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/proteinuria/.
43. Chadban S, Howell M, Twigg S, Thomas M, Jerums G, Alan C, et al. National Evidence Based Guideline for Diagnosis, Prevention, and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease in Type 2 Diabetes. Canberra: Diabetes Australia and the NHMRC; 2009.