1. Cortez R. Hispanic Heritage Month. Not Am Math Soc. 2018;65(08):1.
2. Passel JS, Cohn D, Lopez MH. Hispanics Account for More than Half of Nation’s Growth in Past Decade | Pew Research Center. Pew Hisp Cent [Internet]. 2011; Available from: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2011/03/24/hispanics-account-for-more-than-half-of-nations-growth-in-past-decade/
3. Jacquez F, Vaughn L, Zhen-Duan J, Graham C. Health care use and barriers to care among Latino immigrants in a new migration area. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2016;27(4):1761–78.
4. Jacquez F, Vaughn LM, Pelley T, Topmiller M. Healthcare Experiences of Latinos in a Nontraditional Destination Area. J Community Pract. 2015;23(1):76–101.
5. DeJonckheere MJ, Vaughn LM, Jacquez F. Latino Immigrant Youth Living in a Nontraditional Migration City: A Social-Ecological Examination of the Complexities of Stress and Resilience. Urban Educ. 2017;
6. Zamor R, Byczkowski T, Zhang Y, Vaughn L, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Language Barriers and the Management of Bronchiolitis in a Pediatric Emergency Department. Acad Pediatr. 2020;20(3):356–63.
7. Levas MN, Dayan PS, Mittal MK, Stevenson MD, Bachur RG, Dudley NC, et al. Effect of hispanic ethnicity and language barriers on appendiceal perforation rates and imaging in children. J Pediatr. 2014;164(6).
8. Valet RS, Gebretsadik T, Carroll KN, Minton PA, Woodward KB, Liu Z, et al. Increased healthcare resource utilization for acute respiratory illness among Latino infants. J Pediatr. 2013;163(4):1186–91.
9. Lassetter JH, Baldwin JH. Health care barriers for latino children and provision of culturally competent care. J Pediatr Nurs. 2004;19(3):184–92.
10. Hampers LC, Cha S, Gutglass DJ, Binns HJ, Krug SE. Language barriers and resource utilization in a pediatric emergency department. Pediatrics. 1999;103(6 I):1253–6.
11. Payne NR, Puumala SE. Racial disparities in ordering laboratory and radiology tests for pediatric patients in the emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013;29(5):598–606.
12. Jacquez F, Vaughn LM, Suarez-Cano G. Implementation of a Stress Intervention with Latino Immigrants in a Non-traditional Migration City. J Immigr Minor Heal. 2019;21(2):372–82.
13. Topmiller M, Zhen-Duan J, Jacquez FJ, Vaughn LM. Place Matters in Non-Traditional Migration Areas: Exploring Barriers to Healthcare for Latino Immigrants by Region, Neighborhood, and Community Health Center. J Racial Ethn Heal Disparities. 2017;4(6):1214–23.
14. Zhen-Duan J, Jacquez F, Vaughn L. Demographic characteristics associated with barriers to health care among Mexican and Guatemalan immigrants in a nontraditional destination area. Fam Community Heal. 2017;40(2):101–11.
15. Biolsi R. Our Diverse Society: Race and Ethnicity—Implications for 21 st Century American Society, by David W. Engstrom and Lissette M. Piedra, (eds.) . Adm Soc Work [Internet]. 2009 Jan 5;33(1):129–31. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/03643100802508700
16. McDermott KW, Stocks C, Freeman WJ. Overview of Pediatric Emergency Department Visits, 2015: Statistical Brief #242 [Internet]. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs. Rockville, MD; 2006 [cited 2020 Aug 31]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30277692
17. Cincinnati Children’s Hospitals. Cincinnati Children’s: International Patients and Families [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2018 Oct 8]. Available from: https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/patients/visit/international
18. Moustakas C. Phenomenological research methods. Phenomenological research methods. 2011.
19. Crotty M. The foundations of social research: Meaning and perspective in the research process. Sage. 1998.
20. Bowen GA. Naturalistic inquiry and the saturation concept: A research note. Qual Res. 2008;8(1):137–52.
21. Hsieh HF, Shannon SE. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qual Health Res. 2005;15(9):1277–88.
22. Braun V, Clarke V. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qual Res Psychol. 2006;3(2):77–101.
23. Dedoose version 8.0.35. Dedoose. dedoose.com. 2018.
24. Samuels-Kalow M, Hardy E, Rhodes K, Mollen C. “Like a dialogue”: Teach-back in the emergency department. Patient Educ Couns. 2016;99(4):549–54.
25. Karliner LS, Jacobs EA, Chen AH, Mutha S. Do professional interpreters improve clinical care for patients with limited english proficiency? A systematic review of the literature. Health Serv Res. 2007;42(2):727–54.
26. Casey Lion K, Brown JC, Ebel BE, Klein EJ, Strelitz B, Gutman CK, et al. Effect of telephone vs video interpretation on parent comprehension, communication, and utilization in the pediatric emergency department a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2015;169(12):1117–25.
27. Vaughn LM, Jacquez F. Characteristics of newly immigrated, Spanish-speaking Latinos who use the pediatric emergency department: Preliminary findings in a secondary migration city. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012;28(4):345–50.
28. Fields A, Abraham M, Gaughan J, Haines C, Hoehn KS. Language matters: Race, trust, and outcomes in the pediatric emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2016;32(4):222–6.
29. Mayo RM, Sherrill WW, Sundareswaran P, Crew L. Attitudes and perceptions of hispanic patients and health care providers in the treatment of hispanic patients: A review of the literature. Vol. 5, Hispanic Health Care International. 2007. p. 64–72.