Total 96 records of discharged patents were reviewed. The overall mean age of discharged patients was 53.83 ± 12.89 years. Median hospital stay was 8(IQR = 6–11) days. Majority of the discharged patients were males (n = 75, 78.1%) and nearly quarter of the patients had no co morbid (n = 26, 27.1%). The commonest co morbid condition among discharged patients was diabetes (n = 48, 50%) followed by hypertension (n = 43, 44.8%), ischemic heart disease (n = 16, 16.7%), asthma (n = 7, 7.3%), chronic kidney disease (n = 2, 2.1%), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (n = 2, 2.1%), cerebrovascular accident (n = 2, 2.1%), chronic liver disease (n = 1, 1%), depression (n = 1, 1%), brain tumor (n = 1, 1%), psoriasis (n = 1, 1%), Parkinson’s syndrome (n = 1, 1%), hypothyroidism (n = 1, 1%). Almost half of the discharged patients were initially admitted to ward (n = 49, 51%), and remaining were initially admitted to high dependency unit (n = 30, 31.3%) and intensive care unit (n = 17, 17.7%). On last hospitalization day, median NLR, ALC, CRP levels, LDH levels, d.dimer, ferritin was 4 (IQR = 3–7), 1606 (IQR = 1030–2369), 1.26 (IQR = 0.53–3.04), 385 (IQR = 322.5–504.75), 1.07 (IQR = 0.66–2.68), 791 (IQR = 496–1186) respectively.
25 (26%) patients had normal chest x-ray findings on discharge day whereas remaining (n = 71, 74%) patients had improved x-ray with infiltrates. One week after discharge, 30 patients showed normal x-ray which was statistically significant (p = 0.031). Out of 96 discharged patients, 77(80.2%) patients had improved symptoms at the time of discharge with most frequent symptom of fatigue (n = 67, 69.8%) followed by shortness of breath (n = 33, 34.4%), cough (n = 22, 22.9%) and had two liters of oxygen requirement (n = 22, 22.9%). 22 (22.29%) patients who were discharged on two liters of oxygen requirement needed one liter of domiciliary oxygen. Patient who had no symptoms at the time of discharge had significantly lower median length of stay than patients who discharged with improve symptoms (6 days vs 9 days) (p = 0.001). Patients’ age (p = 0.160), gender (p = 0.757), co-existence of any co morbidity (p = 0.622), specific co morbidities such as diabetes (p = 0.442), hypertension (p = 0.437), ischemic heart diseases (n = 0.182) were not significantly different among patients who were symptomatic and asymptomatic at the time of discharge. Patients who were either symptomatic or asymptomatic on discharge day also did not significantly differ on basis of laboratory findings on discharge day which included following laboratory investigations; CRP levels (p = 0.372), d.dimer (p = 0.290), LDH (p = 0.850), ferritin (p = 0.825) NLR (p = 0.721) and ALC (p = 0.854).
Out of 19(19.8%) patients who were asymptomatic at the time of discharge, none developed symptoms later either. Out of 77 patients who were symptomatic at the time of discharge, 27(35.1%) were persistently symptomatic till fourth week whereas 50(64.9%) of these patients became asymptomatic on fourth week. Patients’ age (p = 0.072), gender (p = 0.413), co-existence of any comorbidity (p = 0.581), particularly comorbid conditions like diabetes (p = 0.345), hypertension (p = 0.510), ischemic heart diseases (p = 0.294) were not significantly different among patients who were persistently symptomatic and found to be asymptomatic on fourth week. Among symptomatic patients, the median number of symptoms per patients at discharge day was 2 (range: 1–4) whereas at fourth week median number of symptoms among these patients was 0 (range: 0–3). The lower number of symptoms at fourth week compared to discharge time was statistically significant (p < 0.001).
Figure 1 displays pattern of symptoms persistence from first week to fourth week post-discharge. The most commonly persisted symptom till fourth week was fatigue (n = 22, 33%), followed by shortness of breath (n = 6, 18%), cough (n = 1, 5%) and 1 liter of oxygen requirement (n = 1, 5%). Graphical pattern shows that there was decrease in symptoms including cough (p < 0.001), fatigue (p < 0.001), shortness of breath (p < 0.001) and 1 liters of oxygen requirement (p < 0.001) from discharge till fourth week which was also found to be statistically significant when tested with Cochrane Q-test. On post-hoc multiple comparison test, it was found that all of the symptoms significantly decreased from discharge day to every week excluding first week only.