1. Anderson I, Robson B, Connolly M et al. Indigenous and tribal peoples’ health: a population study. The Lancet 2016;6736(16): 1–27 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00345-7.
2. Balarajan Y, Selvaraj S, Subramanian SV. Health care and equity in India. The Lancet 2011;377(9764):505–15 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61894-6.
3. Das MB, Hall GH, Kapoor S et al. India: The Scheduled Tribes. In Hall GH & Patrinos HA eds, Indigenous peoples, poverty, and development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2012;205-48 doi:10.1017/CBO9781139105729.006.
4. Maity B. Comparing health outcomes across Scheduled Tribes and Castes in India. World Development 2017;96:163-81.
5. Ministry of Tribal Affairs. Report of the high-level committee on socio-economic, health and educational status of tribal communities of India. New Delhi 2014. http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/Tribal%20Committee%20Report,%20May-June%202014.pdf. (accessed 24 June 2019).
6. United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). Nourishing India’s tribal children: The nutrition situation of children of India’s scheduled tribes. New Delhi: UNICEF 2014. http://unicef.in/Uploads/Resources/Tribal-low-res-for-view.pdf (accessed 13 September 2019).
7. International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) and ICF. National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), 2015-16: India. Mumbai: IIPS. 2017. International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) and ICF. National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), 2015-16: India. Mumbai: IIPS 2017 (accessed 13 September 2019).
8. Stephens C, Porter J, Willis R, et al. Indigenous people’s health-why are they behind everyone, everywhere? The Lancet 2005;366:10–13 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66801-8.
9. Chandramouli C. Scheduled Tribes in India as revealed in Census 2011. New Delhi 2013. https://www.tribal.nic.in/ST/3-STinindiaascensus2011_compressed.pdf. (accessed on 24 June 2019).
10. Ministry of Tribal Affairs. Statistical profile of Scheduled Tribes in India. New Delhi 2010. http://22.214.171.124/bitstream/123456789/2563/1/Statistical%20Profile%20of%20Scheduled%20Tribes%20in%20India%202010.pdf (accessed on 13 September 2019).
11. Watkins WS et al. Diversity and divergence among the tribal populations of India. Annals of human genetics 2005;69(6):680–92 doi:10.1046/j.1529-8817.2005.00200.x.
12. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and Ministry of Tribal Affairs. Report of the expert committee on tribal health: Tribal health in India: Bridging the gap and a roadmap for the future. New Delhi 2018. http://tribalhealthreport.in/full-report/ (accessed on 12 September 2019).
13. Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Primary census abstract for total population, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes 2011. http://censusindia.gov.in/pca/. (accessed on 13 September 2019).
14. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Rural health statistics. New Delhi 2015. https://wcd.nic.in/sites/default/files/RHS_1.pdf. (accessed on 13 September 2019)
15. Durlauf SN. Neighbourhood effects. In Henderson JV and Thisse JF eds. Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics. Volume 4. Cities and Geography. Amsterdam 2003:2173–242.
16. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. National Health Policy. New Delhi 2017. https://mohfw.gov.in/sites/default/files/9147562941489753121.pdf (accessed on 24 June 2019).
17. Mohanty BB. Land distribution among scheduled castes and tribes. Economic and Political Weekly 2001;36(40):3857-68.
18. Bose P, Arts BJM, van Dijk H. 'Forest governmentality': A genealogy of subject-making of forest-dependent 'scheduled tribes' in India. Land Use Policy 2012;29(3):664-673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.11.002 (accessed on 24 June 2019).
19. Kothari A, Pathak-Broom N. Conservation and rights in India: Are we moving towards any kind of harmony? In: Radhakrishna M, ed. First citizens: Studies on Adivasis, tribals and indigenous peoples in India . Washington, DC: Oxford India Studies in Contemporary Society 2016:337-369.
20.Xaxa V. Formation of Adivasi/indigenous peoples' identity in India. In: Radhakrishna M, ed. First citizens: Studies on Adivasis, tribals and indigenous peoples in India . Washington, DC: Oxford India Studies in Contemporary Society 2016:33-52.
21. Forest Survey of India. State of forest report 2017. Dehradun 2017. http://fsi.nic.in/details.php?pgID=sb_64. (accessed on 13 September 2019).
22. Velho N, DeFries RS, Tolonen A et al. Aligning conservation efforts with resource use around protected areas. Ambio 2019;48 (2):160-171 doi:10.1007/s13280-018-1064-5.
23. Lasgorceix A, Kothari A. Displacement and relocation of Protected Areas: A synthesis and analysis of case Studies. Economic & Political Weekly 2009;49:37-47.
24. Tatpati M, Pathak-Broome N. Asserting community forest rights on forest land in India: Emerging paradigms under the Forest Rights Act of India. Chapter 13. Land rights in India: Politics, movements and challenges. Shimla: Indian Institute of Advanced Study 2016.
25. Desai G, Anand A, Modi D et al. Rates, indications, and outcomes of caesarean section deliveries: A comparison of tribal and non-tribal women in Gujarat, India. PLoS ONE 2017;12(12): e0189260. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0189260 (accessed 24 June 2019).
26. Nandi S, Sinha D, Joshi D, et al. Evaluation of the Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram: Findings on inequity in access from Chhattisgarh, India. BMJ Global Health 2016;1:A4.
27. Chatterjee K, Sinha RK, Kundu AK, Shankar D, Gope R et al. Social determinants of inequities in under-nutrition (weight-for-age) among under-5 children: A cross sectional study in Gumla district of Jharkhand, India. Int. J. Equity Health 2016;15(1):104.
28. Jain Y, Kataria R, Patil S et al. Burden & pattern of illnesses among the tribal communities in central India: A report from a community health programme. Indian J Med Res 2015;141(5):663-72.
29. Das MB, Kapoor S, Nikitin D. A closer look at child mortality among Adivasis in India. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 5231 2010. https://ssrn.com/abstract=1565992 (accessed on 24 June 2019).
30. Niti Ayog. Healthy starts: Progressive India. Report on the rank of states and union territories. 2019 June. http://social.niti.gov.in/uploads/sample/health_index_report.pdf (accessed on 14 Sep 2019)
31. Subramanian SV, Smith GD, Subramanyam M. Indigenous health and socioeconomic status in India. PLOS Medicine 2006;3(10):e421. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030421 (accessed on 13 September 2019).
32. Mohan, P, Lando HA, & Panneer S. Assessment of tobacco consumption and control in India. Indian Journal of Clinical Medicine 2018;9:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1179916118759289 (accessed on 13 September 2019).
33. Jha P, Jacob B, Gajalakshmi V et al. A nationally representative case-control study of smoking and death in India. N Engl J Med 2008;358(11):1137–47.
34. Ravindran TKS, Seshadri T. A health equity research agenda for India: results of a consultative exercise. Health Res Policy Syst 2018;16(1): 94 doi:10.1186/s12961-018-0367-0