1. Cechnicki A, Angermeyer MC, Bielańska A. Anticipated and experienced stigma among people with schizophrenia: its nature and correlates. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2011 Jul;46(7):643-50.
2. Nolen-Hoeksema S, Marroquin B. Neurodevelopmental and neurocognitive disorders. Abnormal Psychology (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill. 2014.
3. World Health Organization. World health statistics 2016: monitoring health for the SDGs sustainable development goals. World Health Organization; 2016 Jun 8.
4. Roberts M, Mogan C, Asare JB. An overview of Ghana’s mental health system: results from an assessment using the World Health Organization’s Assessment Instrument for Mental Health Systems (WHO-AIMS). International journal of mental health systems. 2014 Dec;8(1):1-3.
5. Duah, J. The State of Mental Health Services Delivery in Ghana; A Call to Pay Attention to Mental Health Situation. (2017). Accra: Graphic Online. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
6. Lysaker PH, Lysaker JT. Narrative structure in psychosis: Schizophrenia and disruptions in the dialogical self. Theory & Psychology. 2002 Apr;12(2):207-20.7. Gordon, F. (2007). Personal Hygiene. Key Nursing Skills, 60.
8. Orem DE, Vardiman EM. Orem's nursing theory and positive mental health: practical considerations. Nursing science quarterly. 1995 Oct;8(4):165-73.
9. Orem DE. Nursing concepts of practice (6 uppl.). St Louis: Mosby. 2001;10.
10. Werner S. Needs assessment of individuals with serious mental illness: can it help in promoting recovery?. Community Mental Health Journal. 2012 Oct;48(5):568-73.
11. Vandyk AD, Baker C. Qualitative descriptive study exploring schizophrenia and the everyday effect of medication‐induced weight gain. International journal of mental health nursing. 2012 Aug;21(4):349-57.
12. Hernandez M, Barrio C. Perceptions of subjective burden among Latino families caring for a loved one with schizophrenia. Community mental health journal. 2015 Nov;51(8):939-48.
13. Zhang GF, Tsui CM, Lu AJ, Yu LB, Tsang HW, Li D. Integrated supported employment for people with schizophrenia in mainland China: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2017 Nov 1;71(6):7106165020p1-8.
14. Pasadas C, Manso F. Psychoeducation: A strategy for preventing relapse in patients with schizophrenia. International journal of nursing. 2015 Jun;2(1):89-102.
15. Dadson DA, Annor F, Salifu Yendork J. The burden of care: Psychosocial experiences and coping strategies among caregivers of persons with mental illness in Ghana. Issues in mental health nursing. 2018 Nov 2;39(11):915-23.16. Aryeequaye, R. (2016). Experiences and Coping Strategies among Families of Patients with Schizophrenia in Accra (Doctoral dissertation, University of Ghana).
17. Gloria O, Osafo J, Goldmann E, Parikh NS, Nonvignon J, Kretchy IM. The experiences of providing caregiving for patients with schizophrenia in the Ghanaian context. Archives of psychiatric nursing. 2018 Dec 1;32(6):815-22.
18. Ae-Ngibise KA, Doku VC, Asante KP, Owusu-Agyei S. The experience of caregivers of people living with serious mental disorders: a study from rural Ghana. Global health action. 2015 Dec 1;8(1):26957.
19. Opoku-Boateng YN. Economic Burden and Quality Of Life of Family Caregivers of Schizophrenic Patients Attending Out Patient Department of Psychiatric Hospitals in Ghana (Doctoral dissertation, University of Ghana).
20. Patterson T, Mullen R, Gale C, Gray A. Compulsory community treatment and patients' perception of recovery in schizophrenia. Australasian Psychiatry. 2011 Oct;19(5):431-3.
21. Mezey GC, Kavuma M, Turton P, Demetriou A, Wright C. Perceptions, experiences and meanings of recovery in forensic psychiatric patients. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology. 2010 Oct 1;21(5):683-96.
22. Koschorke M, Padmavati R, Kumar S, Cohen A, Weiss HA, Chatterjee S, Pereira J, Naik S, John S, Dabholkar H, Balaji M. Experiences of stigma and discrimination of people with schizophrenia in India. Social Science & Medicine. 2014 Dec 1;123:149-59.
23. Gerlinger G, Hauser M, De Hert M, Lacluyse K, Wampers M, Correll CU. Personal stigma in schizophrenia spectrum disorders: a systematic review of prevalence rates, correlates, impact and interventions. World Psychiatry. 2013 Jun;12(2):155-64.
24. Lv Y, Wolf A, Wang X. Experienced stigma and self-stigma in Chinese patients with schizophrenia. General hospital psychiatry. 2013 Jan 1;35(1):83-8.
25. Brohan E, Elgie R, Sartorius N, Thornicroft G, GAMIAN-Europe Study Group. Self-stigma, empowerment and perceived discrimination among people with schizophrenia in 14 European countries: The GAMIAN-Europe study. Schizophrenia research. 2010 Sep 1;122(1-3):232-8.
26. Owoo JE. Experiences of Stigma against Persons with Schizophrenia in the Okaikoi South District (Doctoral dissertation, University of Ghana).
27. Read J, Haslam N, Sayce L, Davies E. Prejudice and schizophrenia: a review of the ‘mental illness is an illness like any other’approach. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2006 Nov;114(5):303-18.
28. Morse JM, Field PA. Nursing research: The application of qualitative approaches. Nelson Thornes; 1995 Jan 19.
29. Lincoln YG, Guba E. Naturalistic Inquiry. London, Sage Publications. Contextualization: Evidence from Distributed Teams.”. Information Systems Research. 1985;16(1):9-27.
30. Colaizzi PF. Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it.
31. Bejerholm U, Eklund M. Engagement in occupations among men and women with schizophrenia. Occupational Therapy International. 2006 Jun;13(2):100-21.
32. Tang JY, Wong GH, Hui CL, Lam MM, Chiu CP, Chan SK, Chung DW, Tso S, Chan KP, Yip KC, Hung SF. Early intervention for psychosis in Hong Kong–the EASY programme. Early Intervention in Psychiatry. 2010 Aug;4(3):214-9.
33. Weisman A. Integrating Culturally Based Approaches With Existing Interventions for Hispanic/Latino Families Coping With Schizophrenia. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training. 2005;42(2):178.
34. Ano GG, Vasconcelles EB. Religious coping and psychological adjustment to stress: A meta‐analysis. Journal of clinical psychology. 2005 Apr;61(4):461-80.
35. Cheng C. The Process of Symptoms and Coping Strategies Experienced in the Prodromal Schizophrenia: A Grounded Theory (Doctoral dissertation).
36. Dickerson FB, Sommerville J, Origoni AE, Ringel NB, Parente F. Experiences of stigma among outpatients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia bulletin. 2002 Jan 1;28(1):143-55.
37. Granerud A, Severinsson E. The struggle for social integration in the community–the experiences of people with mental health problems. Journal of psychiatric and mental health nursing. 2006 Jun;13(3):288-93.
38. Karanci, N.A., Aras, A., Kumpasoğlu, G.B., Can, D., Çakır, E., Karaaslan, C., Semerci, M. and Tüzün, D., 2019. Living with schizophrenia: Perspectives of Turkish people with schizophrenia from two Patient Associations on how the illness affects their lives. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 65(2), pp.98-106.
39. Shrestha S, Shibanuma A, Poudel KC, Nanishi K, Koyama Abe M, Shakya SK, Jimba M. Perceived social support, coping, and stigma on the quality of life of people living with HIV in Nepal: a moderated mediation analysis. AIDS care. 2019 Apr 3;31(4):413-20.
40. Ammirati RJ, Lamis DA, Campos PE, Farber EW. Optimism, well-being, and perceived stigma in individuals living with HIV. AIDS care. 2015 Jul 3;27(7):926-33.
41. Chaudoir SR, Norton WE, Earnshaw VA, Moneyham L, Mugavero MJ, Hiers KM. Coping with HIV stigma: do proactive coping and spiritual peace buffer the effect of stigma on depression?. AIDS and Behavior. 2012 Nov;16(8):2382-91.