1. General Medical Council. The state of medical education and practice in the UK 2021: Experiences and challenges in postgraduate medical education [Internet]. 2021. Available from: https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/somep-2021-full-report_pdf-88509460.pdf?la=en&hash=058EBC55D983925E454F144AB74DEE6495ED7C98
2. Ellis R, Oeppen RS, Brennan PA. Virtual postgraduate exams and assessments: the challenges of online delivery and optimising performance. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2021 Feb 1;59(2):233–7.
3. Heeneman S, Jong LH de, Dawson LJ, Wilkinson TJ, Ryan A, Tait GR, et al. Ottawa 2020 consensus statement for programmatic assessment – 1. Agreement on the principles. Medical Teacher. 2021;43(10):1149-1160.
4. The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa: Colleges [Internet]. [cited 2021 Oct 4]. Available from: https://www.cmsa.co.za/view_college_list.aspx
5. The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa: Documents: Transactions [Internet]. [cited 2021 Oct 4]. Available from: https://www.cmsa.co.za/view_document_list.aspx?Keyword=Transactions
6. Jefferies A, Simmons B, Ng E, Skidmore M. Assessment of multiple physician competencies in postgraduate training: Utility of the structured oral examination. Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2011 Dec;16(5):569–77.
7. Read South Africa’s full level 4 lockdown restrictions here [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 30]. Available from: https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/392831/read-south-africas-full-level-4-lockdown-restrictions-here/
8. Eskom details plans for winter load shedding in South Africa [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 5]. Available from: https://businesstech.co.za/news/energy/404615/eskom-details-plans-for-winter-load-shedding-in-south-africa/
9. Safety in the workplace | South African Government [Internet]. [cited 2021 Sep 5]. Available from: https://www.gov.za/covid-19/companies-and-employees/safety-workplace
10. Thiessen N, Fischer MR, Huwendiek S. Assessment methods in medical specialist assessments in the DACH region-overview, critical examination and recommendations for further development. GMS Journal for Medical Education. 2019;36(6). Available from: https://www.aerztekammer.at/]
11. Warner DO, Lien CA, Wang T, Zhou Y, Isaak RS, Peterson-Layne C, et al. First-year results of the American Board of Anesthesiology’s objective structured clinical examination for initial certification. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2020;1412–8.
12. Warner DO, Isaak RS, Peterson-Layne C, Lien CA, Sun H, Menzies AO, et al. Development of an Objective Structured Clinical Examination as a Component of Assessment for Initial Board Certification in Anesthesiology. Anesthesia and analgesia. 2020 Jan 1;130(1):258–64.
13. Pettit M, Shukla S, Zhang J, Sunil Kumar KH, Khanduja V. Virtual exams: has COVID-19 provided the impetus to change assessment methods in medicine? Bone & Joint Open. 2021;2(2), 111–118. https://doi.org/10.1302/2633-1462.22.bjo-2020-0142.r1
14. Iyengar KP, Jain VK, Vaishya R. Virtual postgraduate orthopaedic practical examination: a pilot model. Postgraduate Medical Journal. BMJ Publishing Group. 2021, Oct 1. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2020-138726
15. Shebrain S, Nava K, Munene G, Shattuck C, Collins J, Sawyer R. Virtual Surgery Oral Board Examinations in the Era of COVID-19 Pandemic. How I Do It! Journal of Surgical Education. 2021 May 1;78(3):740–5.
16. Andreou V, Peters S, Eggermont J, Wens J, Schoenmakers B. Remote versus on-site proctored exam: comparing student results in a cross-sectional study. BMC Medical Education 2021 21:1 [Internet]. 2021 Dec 20 [cited 2021 Dec 29];21(1):1–9. Available from: https://bmcmededuc.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12909-021-03068-x
17. Morin M, Alves C, Champlain A de. The Show Must Go On: Lessons Learned from using Remote Proctoring in a High-stakes Medical Licensing Exam Program in Response to Severe Disruption. Journal of Applied Testing Technology [Internet]. 2021 Nov 30 [cited 2021 Dec 29];0(0). Available from: http://jattjournal.com/index.php/atp/article/view/165790
18. Sathekge MM. Work-based assessment: A critical element of specialist medical training. South African Medical Journal. 2017;107(9):728.
19. ten Cate O. Competency-Based Postgraduate Medical Education: Past, Present and Future. GMS Journal for Medical Education. 2017;34(5).
20. Caretta-Weyer HA, Chan T, Bigham BL, Kinnear B, Huwendiek S, Schumacher DJ. If we could turn back time: Imagining time-variable, competency-based medical education in the context of COVID-19. Medical Teacher. 2021;43(7):774-779.