1. Pallitto CC, García-Moreno C, Jansen HAFM, Heise L, Ellsberg M, Watts C. Intimate partner violence, abortion, and unintended pregnancy: Results from the WHO Multi-country Study on Women’s Health and Domestic Violence. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2013 Jan 1;120(1):3–9.
2. World Health Organisation and Pan American Health Organisation. Understanding and addressing violence against women. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organisation and Pan American Health Organisation; 2012.
3. World Health Organisation. Violence against women prevalence estimates, 2018. Global, regionaland national prevalence estimates for intimate partner violence against women and global and regional estimates for non-partner sexual violence against women. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2021.
4. Finer LB, Zolna MR. Declines in Unintended Pregnancy in the United States, 2008-2011. N Engl J Med. 2016 Mar 3;374(9):843–52.
5. Bearak J, Popinchalk A, Ganatra B, Moller A-B, Tunçalp Ö, Beavin C, et al. Unintended pregnancy and abortion by income, region, and the legal status of abortion: estimates from a comprehensive model for 1990–2019. Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Sep 1;8(9):e1152–61.
6. Ameyaw EK. Prevalence and correlates of unintended pregnancy in Ghana: Analysis of 2014 Ghana Demographic and Health Survey. Matern Health Neonatol Perinatol. 2018 Sep 5;4(1):17.
7. Faisal-Cury A, Menezes PR, Quayle J, Matijasevich A. Unplanned pregnancy and risk of maternal depression: secondary data analysis from a prospective pregnancy cohort. Psychol Health Med. 2017 Jan 2;22(1):65–74.
8. Maxwell L, Nandi A, Benedetti A, Devries K, Wagman J, García-Moreno C. Intimate partner violence and pregnancy spacing: results from a meta-analysis of individual participant time-to-event data from 29 low-and-middle-income countries. BMJ Glob Health. 2018 Jan;3(1):e000304.
9. Acharya K, Paudel YR, Silwal P. Sexual violence as a predictor of unintended pregnancy among married young women: evidence from the 2016 Nepal demographic and health survey. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019 Dec;19(1):196.
10. Barbara G, Collini F, Cattaneo C, Marasciuolo L, Chiappa L, Fedele L, et al. Sexual violence and unwanted pregnancies in migrant women. Lancet Glob Health. 2017 Apr;5(4):e396–7.
11. Ismayilova L. Intimate partner violence and unintended pregnancy in Azerbaijan, Moldova, and Ukraine. Calverton, Maryland, USA: ICF Macro; 2010. 1 p. (DHS working papers).
12. Stephenson R, Koenig MA, Acharya R, Roy TK. Domestic Violence, Contraceptive Use, and Unwanted Pregnancy in Rural India. Stud Fam Plann. 2008;39(3):177–86.
13. Titilayo A, Ekundayo O, J. O-O, Anuodo O. Sexual Violence as a Predictor of Unwanted Pregnancy: Evidence from the 2013 Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey. Eur Sci J. 2017 Jul 31;13.
14. World Health Organisation, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, South African Medical Research Council. Global and regional estimates of violence against women: prevalence and health impacts of intimate partner violence and non-partner sexual violence. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, London school of hygiene & tropical medicine, South African medical research council; 2013.
15. Christofides NJ, Jewkes RK, Dunkle KL, Nduna M, Shai NJ, Sterk C. Early adolescent pregnancy increases risk of incident HIV infection in the Eastern Cape, South Africa: a longitudinal study. J Int AIDS Soc. 2014;17(1):18585.
16. Maharaj P, Munthree C. Coerced first sexual intercourse and selected reproductive health outcomes among young women in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. J Biosoc Sci. 2007 Mar;39(2):231–44.
17. Pallitto CC, O’Campo P. The Relationship between Intimate Partner Violence and Unintended Pregnancy: Analysis of a National Sample from Colombia. Int Fam Plan Perspect. 2004;30(4):165–73.
18. Silverman J, Gupta J, Decker M, Kapur N, Raj A. Intimate partner violence and unwanted pregnancy, miscarriage, induced abortion, and stillbirth among a national sample of Bangladeshi women. BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;114(10):1246–52.
19. Geda NR, Lako TK. Unintended pregnancy among married women in Damot Gale District, Southern Ethiopia: Examining the prevalence and risk factors. Afr Popul Stud [Internet]. 2012 Apr 30 [cited 2022 Feb 8];26(1). Available from: https://aps.journals.ac.za/pub/article/view/222
20. Tebekaw Y, Aemro B, Teller C. Prevalence and determinants of unintended childbirth in Ethiopia. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014 Sep 18;14(1):326.
21. Palamuleni ME, Adebowale AS. Prevalence and Determinants of Unintended Pregnancies in Malawi. Afr Popul Stud. 2014 Apr 29;551–63.
22. Zambia Statistics Agency, Ministry of Health (MOH) Zambia, and ICF. Zambia Demographic and Health Survey 2018. Lusaka, Zambia, and Rockville, Maryland, USA: Zambia Statistics Agency, Ministry of Health, and ICF; 2019.
23. Gomez AM. Sexual violence as a predictor of unintended pregnancy, contraceptive use, and unmet need among female youth in Colombia. J Womens Health 2002. 2011 Sep;20(9):1349–56.
24. Kumwenda A, Vwalika B. Outcomes and factors associated with adolescent pregnancies at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia. Med J Zambia. 2017;44(4):244–9.
25. Chanda M, Ortblad K, Mwale M, Chongo S, Kanchele C, Kamungoma N, et al. Contraceptive use and unplanned pregnancy among female sex workers in Zambia. Contraception. 2017;96(3):196–202.
26. Zimbwa I, Vwalika B. Association Between Unplanned Pregnancy and HIV Seropositivity Disclosure to Marital/Cohabitating Partner Among Post-natal Women in Lusaka, Zambia. 2010;
27. Ahinkorah BO. Individual and contextual factors associated with mistimed and unwanted pregnancies among adolescent girls and young women in selected high fertility countries in sub-Saharan Africa: A multilevel mixed effects analysis. PLOS ONE. 2020 Oct 22;15(10):e0241050.
28. Ajayi AI, Ezegbe HC. Association between sexual violence and unintended pregnancy among adolescent girls and young women in South Africa. BMC Public Health. 2020 Dec;20(1):1370.
29. Khan ME, Townsend JW, Sinha R, Lakhanpal S. Sexual Violence within Marriage: A Case Study of Rural Uttar Pradesh, India. Int Q Community Health Educ. 2002 Jul 1;21(2):133–46.
30. Karaoglu L, Celbis O, Ercan C, Ilgar M, Pehlivan E, Gunes G, et al. Physical, emotional and sexual violence during pregnancy in Malatya, Turkey. Eur J Public Health. 2006;16(2):149–56.
31. Population Reference Bureau. World Population Data Sheet, 2013 [Internet]. Washington DC: UNDP; 2013. Available from: http://www.prb.org
32. Dutta M, Shekhar C, Prashad L. Level, Trend and Correlates of Mistimed and Unwanted Pregnancies among Currently Pregnant Ever Married Women in India. PLOS ONE. 2015 Dec 2;10(12):e0144400.