1. Stewart S, Hart CL, Hole DJ, McMurray JJ. A population-based study of the long-term risks associated with atrial fibrillation: 20-year follow-up of the Renfrew/Paisley study. The American journal of medicine 2002;113:359-364.
2. Chung MK. Randomized trials of rate vs. rhythm control for atrial fibrillation. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology 2004;10:45-53.
3. Lim DJ, Ambale-Ventakesh B, Ostovaneh MR et al. Change in left atrial function predicts incident atrial fibrillation: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging 2019;20:979-987.
4. Kuppahally SS, Akoum N, Burgon NS et al. Left atrial strain and strain rate in patients with paroxysmal and persistent atrial fibrillation: relationship to left atrial structural remodeling detected by delayed-enhancement MRI. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging 2010;3:231-239.
5. Sitges M, Teijeira VA, Scalise A et al. Is there an anatomical substrate for idiopathic paroxysmal atrial fibrillation? A case–control echocardiographic study. Europace 2007;9:294-298.
6. Ari H, Ari S, Sarigül OY et al. A novel index combining diastolic and systolic tissue doppler parameters for prediction of atrial fibrillation recurrence. Echocardiography 2016;33:1009-1015.
7. Kurt M, Wang J, Torre-Amione G, Nagueh SF. Left atrial function in diastolic heart failure. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging 2009;2:10-15.
8. Boudoulas H, Boudoulas D, Sparks E, Pearson A, Nagaraja H, Wooley C. Left atrial performance indices in chronic mitral valve disease. The Journal of heart valve disease 1995;4:S242-7; discussion S248.
9. Hindricks G, Potpara T, Dagres N et al. 2020 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS) The Task Force for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA) of the ESC. European heart journal 2021;42:373-498.
10. Lang RM, Badano LP, Mor-Avi V et al. Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging 2015;16:233-271.
11. Anwar AM, Soliman OI, Nemes A, Geleijnse ML, Folkert J. An integrated approach to determine left atrial volume, mass and function in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy by two-dimensional echocardiography. The international journal of cardiovascular imaging 2008;24:45-52.
12. Boudoulas KD, Sparks EA, Rittgers SE, Wooley CF, Boudoulas H. Factors determining left atrial kinetic energy in patients with chronic mitral valve disease. Herz 2003;28:437-444.
13. Stefanadis C, Dernellis J, Lambrou S, Toutouzas P. Left atrial energy in normal subjects, in patients with symptomatic mitral stenosis, and in patients with advanced heart failure. The American journal of cardiology 1998;82:1220-1223.
14. Triposkiadis F, Harbas C, Sitafidis G, Skoularigis J, Demopoulos V, Kelepeshis G. Echocardiographic assessment of left atrial ejection force and kinetic energy in chronic heart failure. The international journal of cardiovascular imaging 2008;24:15-22.
15. Dernellis J, Panaretou M. Effects of digoxin on left atrial function in heart failure. Heart 2003;89:1308-1315.
16. Chrysohoou C, Kotroyiannis I, Antoniou C-C et al. Left atrial function predicts heart failure events in patients with newly diagnosed left ventricular systolic heart failure during short-term follow-up. Angiology 2014;65:817-823.
17. Yoon YE, Kim H-J, Kim S-A et al. Left atrial mechanical function and stiffness in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Journal of cardiovascular ultrasound 2012;20:140-145.
18. Fornengo C, Antolini M, Frea S et al. Prediction of atrial fibrillation recurrence after cardioversion in patients with left-atrial dilation. European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging 2015;16:335-341.