1. Cuthbert MO, Taylor RG, Favreau G, Todd MC, Shamsudduha M, Villholth KG, et al. Observed controls on resilience of groundwater to climate variability in sub-Saharan Africa. Nature 572(7768), 230-234 (2019).
2. Jasechko S, Perrone D, Befus KM, Bayani Cardenas M, Ferguson G, Gleeson T, et al. Global aquifers dominated by fossil groundwaters but wells vulnerable to modern contamination. Nat Geosci 10, 425 (2017).
3. Hughes CE, Cendón DI, Johansen MP, Meredith KT. Climate Change and Groundwater. In: Jones JAA (ed). Sustaining Groundwater Resources. (Springer, Dordrecht, 2011).
4. Cuthbert MO, Gleeson T, Moosdorf N, Befus KM, Schneider A, Hartmann J, et al. Global patterns and dynamics of climate–groundwater interactions. Nat Clim Chang 9(2), 137-141 (2019).
5. Dragoni W, Sukhija BS, London GSo. Climate Change and Groundwater. (Geological Society, 2008).
6. Kløve B, Ala-Aho P, Bertrand G, Gurdak JJ, Kupfersberger H, Kværner J, et al. Climate change impacts on groundwater and dependent ecosystems. J Hydrol 518(PB), 250-266 (2014).
7. Hughes JD, Petrone KC, Silberstein RP. Drought, groundwater storage and stream flow decline in southwestern Australia. Geophys Res Lett 39(3), (2012).
8. Taylor RG, Scanlon B, Döll P, Rodell M, van Beek R, Wada Y, et al. Ground water and climate change. Nat Clim Chang 3, 322 (2012).
9. Cochand F, Brunner P, Hunkeler D, Rössler O, Holzkämper A. Cross-sphere modelling to evaluate impacts of climate and land management changes on groundwater resources. Sci Total Environ 798, (2021).
10. Wöhling T, Wilson S, Wadsworth V, Davidson P. Detecting the cause of change using uncertain data: Natural and anthropogenic factors contributing to declining groundwater levels and flows of the Wairau Plain aquifer, New Zealand. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies 31, (2020).
11. Mahmud K, Mariethoz G, Baker A, Treble PC, Markowska M, McGuire E. Estimation of deep infiltration in unsaturated limestone environments using cave lidar and drip count data. Hydrol Earth Syst Sci 20, 359–373 (2016).
12. Beal LK, Wong CI, Bautista KK, Jenson JW, Banner JL, Lander MA, et al. Isotopic and geochemical assessment of the sensitivity of groundwater resources of Guam, Mariana Islands, to intra- and inter-annual variations in hydroclimate. J Hydrol 568, 174-183 (2019).
13. Jukić D, Denić-Jukić V. Groundwater balance estimation in karst by using a conceptual rainfall-runoff model. J Hydrol 373(3-4), 302-315 (2009).
14. Baker A, Hartmann A, Duan W, Hankin S, Comas-Bru L, Cuthbert MO, et al. Global analysis reveals climatic controls on the oxygen isotope composition of cave drip water. Nature Communications 10(1), 2984 (2019).
15. Zheng Y, Jong LM, Phipps SJ, Roberts JL, Moy AD, Curran MAJ, et al. Extending and understanding the South West Western Australian rainfall record using a snowfall reconstruction from Law Dome, East Antarctica. Clim Past Discuss 2020, 1-32 (2020).
16. Delworth TL, Zeng F. Regional rainfall decline in Australia attributed to anthropogenic greenhouse gases and ozone levels. Nat Geosci 7(8), 583-587 (2014).
17. Hope P, Timbal B, Fawcett R. Associations between rainfall variability in the southwest and southeast of Australia and their evolution through time. International Journal of Climatology 30(9), 1360-1371 (2010).
18. Bryan E, Meredith KT, Baker A, Post VEA, Andersen MS. Island groundwater resources, impacts of abstraction and a drying climate: Rottnest Island, Western Australia. J Hydrol 542, 704-718 (2016).
19. Ali R, McFarlane D, Varma S, Dawes W, Emelyanova I, Hodgson G, et al. Potential climate change impacts on groundwater resources of south-western Australia. J Hydrol 475, 456-472 (2012).
20. McFarlane D, Stone R, Martens S, Thomas J, Silberstein R, Ali R, et al. Climate change impacts on water yields and demands in south-western Australia. J Hydrol 475, 488-498 (2012).
21. Barron O, Froend R, Hodgson G, Ali R, Dawes W, Davies P, et al. Projected risks to groundwater-dependent terrestrial vegetation caused by changing climate and groundwater abstraction in the Central Perth Basin, Western Australia. Hydrological Processes 28(22), 5513-5529 (2014).
22. Barron O, Silberstein R, Ali R, Donohue R, McFarlane DJ, Davies P, et al. Climate change effects on water-dependent ecosystems in south-western Australia. J Hydrol 434-435, 95-109 (2012).
23. Lachniet MS. Climatic and environmental controls on speleothem oxygen-isotope values. Quat Sci Rev 28(5), 412-432 (2009).
24. Fairchild IJ, Smith CL, Baker A, Fuller L, Spötl C, Mattey D, et al. Modification and preservation of environmental signals in speleothems. Earth-Sci Rev 75(1), 105-153 (2006).
25. Deininger M, Hansen M, Fohlmeister J, Schröder-Ritzrau A, Burstyn Y, Scholz D. Are oxygen isotope fractionation factors between calcite and water derived from speleothems systematically biased due to prior calcite precipitation (PCP)? Geochim Cosmochim Acta 305, 212-227 (2021).
26. Treble PC, Baker A, Abram NJ, Hellstrom JC, Crawford J, Gagan MK, et al. Ubiquitous karst hydrological control on speleothem oxygen isotope variability in a global study. Communications Earth & Environment 3(1), 29 (2022).
27. Griffiths AD, Treble P, Hope P, Rudeva I. Rainfall Stable Water Isotope Variability in Coastal Southwestern Western Australia and Its Relationship to Climate on Multiple Timescales. J Geophys Res Atmos 127(1), 31 (2022).
28. Philip P, Yu B. Interannual variations in rainfall of different intensities in South West of Western Australia. International Journal of Climatology 40(6), 3052-3071 (2020).
29. Ireson AM, Butler AB, Wheater HS. Evidence for the onset and persistence with depth of preferential flow in unsaturated fractured porous media. Hydrology Research 43(5), 707-719 (2012).
30. Leopold M, Gupanis-Broadway C, Baker A, Hankin S, Treble P. Time lapse electric resistivity tomography to portray infiltration and hydrologic flow paths from surface to cave. J Hydrol 593, 125810 (2021).
31. Bureau of Meterology. Climate Data Online. 2020 [cited 2020 August 2020]http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/index.shtml#tabs=Tracker]. Available from: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/index.shtml#tabs=Tracker
32. Asrat A, Baker A, Leng MJ, Hellstrom J, Mariethoz G, Boomer I, et al. Paleoclimate change in Ethiopia around the last interglacial derived from annually-resolved stalagmite evidence. Quat Sci Rev 202, 197-210 (2018).
33. Treble PC, Baker A, Ayliffe LK, Cohen TJ, Hellstrom JC, Gagan MK, et al. Hydroclimate of the Last Glacial Maximum and deglaciation in southern Australia's arid margin interpreted from speleothem records (23-15 ka). Clim Past 13(6), 667-687 (2017).
34. van Ommen TD, Morgan V. Snowfall increase in coastal East Antarctica linked with southwest Western Australian drought. Nat Geosci 3, 267 (2010).
35. Fowler HJ, Wasko C, Prein AF. Intensification of short-duration rainfall extremes and implications for flood risk: current state of the art and future directions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 379(2195), 20190541 (2021).
36. IPCC. Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to
the Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. (Cambridge University Press, 2021).
37. Baker A, Mariethoz G, Comas-Bru L, Hartmann A, Frisia S, Borsato A, et al. The Properties of Annually Laminated Stalagmites-A Global Synthesis. Reviews of Geophysics 59(2), e2020RG000722 (2021).
38. McDonough L, Treble P, Baker A, Borsato A, Frisia S, Nagra G, et al. Past fires and post-fire impacts reconstructed from a southwest Australian stalagmite. Earth ArXiv, (2021).
39. Treble P, Shelley JMG, Chappell J. Comparison of high resolution sub-annual records of trace elements in a modern (1911–1992) speleothem with instrumental climate data from southwest Australia. Earth Planet Sci Lett 216(1), 141-153 (2003).
40. Nagra G, Treble PC, Andersen MS, Bajo P, Hellstrom J, Baker A. Dating stalagmites in mediterranean climates using annual trace element cycles. Scientific Reports 7(1), 621 (2017).
41. Markowska M, Fohlmeister J, Treble PC, Baker A, Andersen MS, Hua Q. Modelling the 14C bomb-pulse in young speleothems using a soil carbon continuum model. Geochim Cosmochim Acta 261, 342-367 (2019).
42. Treble P, Chappell J, K. Gagan M, McKeegan K, Mark Harrison T. In situ measurement of seasonal δ18O variations and analysis of isotopic trends in a modern speleothem from southwest Australia. Earth Planet Sci Lett 233, 17-32 (2005).
43. Hollins SE, Hughes CE, Crawford J, Cendón DI, Meredith KT. Rainfall isotope variations over the Australian continent – Implications for hydrology and isoscape applications. Sci Total Environ 645, 630-645 (2018).
44. Lavery B, Joung G, Nicholls N. An extended high-quality historical rainfall dataset for Australia. Australian Meteorological Magazine 46(1), 27-38 (1997).
45. Frost AJ, Ramchurn A, Smith A. The Australian Landscape Water Balance model (AWRA-L v6). Technical Description of the Australian Water Resources Assessment Landscape model version 6: Bureau of Meteorology Technical Report; 2018).
46. Treble PC, Bradley C, Wood A, Baker A, Jex CN, Fairchild IJ, et al. An isotopic and modelling study of flow paths and storage in Quaternary calcarenite, SW Australia: implications for speleothem paleoclimate records. Quat Sci Rev 64, 90-103 (2013).
47. Yoshimura K, Kanamitsu M, Noone D, Oki T. Historical isotope simulation using Reanalysis atmospheric data. J Geophys Res Atmos 113(D19), (2008).
48. Priestley SC, Meredith KT, Treble PC, Cendón DI, Griffiths AD, Hollins SE, et al. A 35 ka record of groundwater recharge in south-west Australia using stable water isotopes. Sci Total Environ 717, 135105 (2020).