1. Gannon B, O'Shea E, Hudson E. The economic costs of falls and fractures in people aged 65 and over in Ireland technical report to NCAOP/HSE/DOHC. Health Service Executive (HSE), 2007.
2. Iglesias C, Manca A, Torgerson D. The health related quality of life and cost implications of falls in elderly women. Osteoporosis Int. 2009;20(6):869-78.
3. Gill T, Taylor AW, Pengelly A. A population-based survey of factors relating to the prevalence of falls in older people. Gerontology. 2005;51(5):340-5.
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fatalities and Injuries From Falls Among Older Adults—United States, 1993-2003 and 2001-2005. JAMA. 2007;297(1):32-3.
5. Tinetti ME, Baker DI, McAvay G, Claus EB, Garrett P, Gottschalk M, et al. A multifactorial intervention to reduce the risk of falling among elderly people living in the community. N Engl J Med. 1994;331(13):821-7.
6. Lord SR, Bashford GM. Shoe characteristics and balance in older women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996;44(4):429-33.
7. Menz HB, Lord SR. Footwear and postural stability in older people. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1999;89(7):346-57.
8. Dyer CA, Watkins CL, Gould C, Rowe J. Risk-factor assessment for falls: from a written checklist to the penless clinic. Age Ageing. 1998;27(5):569-72.
9. Frey C, Kubasak M. Faulty footwear contributes to why seniors fall. Biomechanics. 1998;5:45-7.
10. Sherrington C, Menz HB. An evaluation of footwear worn at the time of fall-related hip fracture. Age Ageing. 2003;32(3):310-4.
11. Kelsey JL, Berry SD, Procter-Gray E, Quach L, Nguyen US, Li W, et al. Indoor and outdoor falls in older adults are different: the maintenance of balance, independent living, intellect, and Zest in the Elderly of Boston Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58(11):2135-41.
12. Davis A, Haines T, Williams C. Do footwear styles cause falls or increase falls risk in healthy older adults? A systematic review. Footwear Sci. 2019;11(1):13-23.
13. Menant JC, Steele JR, Menz HB, Munro BJ, Lord SR. Effects of footwear features on balance and stepping in older people. Gerontology. 2008;54(1):18-23.
14. Chaffin DB, Woldstad JC, Trujillo A. Floor/shoe slip resistance measurement. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J. 1992;53(5):283-9.
15. Wilson M. “Development of SATRA Slip Test and Tread Pattern Design Guidelines.” In Slips, Stumbles, and Falls: Pedestrian Footwear and Surfaces, edited by B. E. Gray, 113–123. Philadelphia, PA: ASTM. 1990.
16. Aboutorabi A, Bahramizadeh M, Arazpour M, Fadayevatan R, Farahmand F, Curran S, et al. A systematic review of the effect of foot orthoses and shoe characteristics on balance in healthy older subjects. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2016;40(2):170-81.
17. Snow RE, Williams KR. High heeled shoes: their effect on center of mass position, posture, three-dimensional kinematics, rearfoot motion, and ground reaction forces. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994;75(5):568-76.
18. Tencer AF, Koepsell TD, Wolf ME, Frankenfeld CL, Buchner DM, Kukull WA, et al. Biomechanical properties of shoes and risk of falls in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004;52(11):1840-6.
19. Masnoon N, Shakib S, Kalisch-Ellett L, Caughey GE. What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions. BMC Geriatr. 2017;17:230.
20. Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed "Up & Go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991;39(2):142-8.
21. Nouri F, Lincoln N. An extended activities of daily living scale for stroke patients. Clin Rehabil. 1987;1(4):301-5.
22. Chantelau E, Gede A. Foot dimensions of elderly people with and without diabetes mellitus - a data basis for shoe design. Gerontology. 2002;48(4):241-4.
23. Menz HB, Sherrington C. The Footwear Assessment Form: a reliable clinical tool to assess footwear characteristics of relevance to postural stability in older adults. Clin Rehabil. 2000;14(6):657-64.
24. Burns SL, Leese GP, McMurdo ME. Older people and ill fitting shoes. Postgrad Med J. 2002;78(920):344-6.
25. Menz HB, Morris ME. Footwear characteristics and foot problems in older people. Gerontology. 2005;51(5):346-51.
26. Nixon BP, Armstrong DG, Wendell C, Vazquez JR, Rabinovich Z, Kimbriel HR, et al. Do US veterans wear appropriately sized shoes?: the Veterans Affairs shoe size selection study. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2006;96(4):290-2.
27. Buldt AK, Menz HB. Incorrectly fitted footwear, foot pain and foot disorders: a systematic search and narrative review of the literature. J Foot Ankle Res. 2018;11:43.
28. Spink MJ, Menz HB, Fotoohabadi MR, Wee E, Landorf KB, Hill KD, et al. Effectiveness of a multifaceted podiatry intervention to prevent falls in community dwelling older people with disabling foot pain: randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2011;342:d3411.
29. Jepson RG, Harris FM, Platt S, Tannahill C. The effectiveness of interventions to change six health behaviours: a review of reviews. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:538.
30. Cockayne S, Adamson J, Clarke A, Corbacho B, Fairhurst C, Green L, et al. Cohort Randomised Controlled Trial of a Multifaceted Podiatry Intervention for the Prevention of Falls in Older People (The REFORM Trial). PLoS One. 2017;12(1):e0168712.
31. Wylie G, Torrens C, Campbell P, Frost H, Gordon AL, Menz HB, et al. Podiatry interventions to prevent falls in older people: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Age Ageing. 2019;48(3):327-36.
32. Central Statistics Office. Census of Population 2016 - Profile 3 An Age Profile of Ireland. [online]. Available at: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp3oy/cp3/agr/ [Accessed 6 May 2019]. 2016.