(1) Herzog CA, Asinger RW, Berger AK, Charytan DM, Dı´ez J, Hart RG, et al. Cardiovascular disease in chronic kidney disease. A clinical update from Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). Kidney Int. 2011; 80: 572–86.
(2) Samad Z, Sivak JA, Phelan M, Schulte PJ, Patel U, Velazquez EJ. Prevalence and Outcomes of Left-Sided Valvular Heart Disease Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6: e006044.
(3) Sarnak MJ, Levey AS, Schoolwerth AC, Coresh J, Culleton B, Hamm LL, et al.; American Heart Association Councils on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, High Blood Pressure Research, Clinical Cardiology, and Epidemiology and Prevention. Kidney disease as a risk factor for development of cardiovascular disease: a statement from the American Heart Association Councils on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, High Blood Pressure Research, Clinical Cardiology, and Epidemiology and Prevention. Circulation. 2003;108:2154-69.
(4) Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D, McCulloch CE, Hsu CY. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1296-305.
(5) Clavel MA, Pibarot P, Messika-Zeitoun D, Capoulade R, Malouf J, Aggarval S, et al. Impact of aortic valve calcification, as measured by MDCT, on survival in patients with aortic stenosis: results of an international registry study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64:1202–13.
(6) Thomassen HK, Cioffi G, Gerdts E, Einarsen E, Midtbø HB, Mancusi C, et al. Echocardiographic aortic valve calcification and outcomes in women and men with aortic stenosis. Heart. 2017; 103:1619–24.
(7) Owens DS, Budoff MJ, Katz R, Takasu J, Shavelle DM, Carr JJ, et al. Aortic valve calcium independently predicts coronary and cardiovascular events in a primary prevention population. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012; 5: 619–25.
(8) Blaha MJ, Budoff MJ, Rivera JJ, Khan AN, Santos RD, Shaw LJ, et al. Relation of aortic valve calcium detected by cardiac computed tomography to all-cause mortality. Am J Cardiol. 2010; 106: 1787–91.
(9) Raggi P, Bellasi A, Gamboa C, Ferramosca E, Ratti C, Block GA, et al. All-cause mortality in hemodialysis patients with heart valve calcification. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6:1990–5.
(10) Hensen LCR, Mahdiui ME, van Rosendael AR, Smit JM, Jukema JW, Bax JJ, et al. Prevalence and Prognostic Implications of Mitral and Aortic Valve Calcium in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2018; 122: 1732–7.
(11) Owens DS, Budoff MJ, Katz R, Takasu J, Shavelle DM, Carr JJ, et al. Aortic valve calcium independently predicts coronary and cardiovascular events in a primary prevention population. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012; 5: 619–25.
(12) Hoffmann U, Massaro JM, D'Agostino RB Sr, Kathiresan S, Fox CS, O'Donnell CJ. Cardiovascular Event Prediction and Risk Reclassification by Coronary, Aortic, and Valvular Calcification in the Framingham Heart Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5: e003144.
(13) Hisamatsu T, Miura K, Fujiyoshi A, Kadota A, Miyagawa N, Satoh A, et al.; SESSA Research Group. Serum magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium levels and subclinical calcific aortic valve disease: A population-based study. Atherosclerosis. 2018; 273: 145–52.
(14) Linefsky JP, O'Brien KD, Sachs M, Katz R, Eng J, Michos ED, et al. Serum phosphate is associated with aortic valve calcification in the Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233: 331–7.
(15 ) Boon A, Cheriex E, Lodder J, Kessels F. Cardiac valve calcification: characteristics of patients with calcification of the mitral annulus or aortic valve. Heart. 1997; 78: 472–4.
(16) Ix JH, Shlipak MG, Katz R, Budoff MJ, Shavelle DM, Probstfield JL, et al. Kidney function and aortic valve and mitral annular calcification in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Am J Kidney Dis. 2007; 50: 412–20.
(17) Ribeiro S, Ramos A, Brandão A, Rebelo JR, Guerra A, Resina C, et al. Cardiac valve calcification in haemodialysis patients: role of calcium-phosphate metabolism. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1998; 13: 2037–40.
(18) Wang AY, Ho SS, Wang M, Liu EK, Ho S, Li PK, et al. Cardiac valvular calcification as a marker of atherosclerosis and arterial calcification in end-stage renal disease. Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 327–32.
(19) Takahashi H, Ishii H, Aoyama T, Kamoi D, Kasuga H, Ito Y, et al. Association of cardiac valvular calcifications and C-reactive protein with cardiovascular mortality in incident hemodialysis patients: a Japanese cohort study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 61: 254–61.
(20) Ikee R, Honda K, Ishioka K, Oka M, Maesato K, Moriya H, et al. Differences in associated factors between aortic and mitral valve calcification in hemodialysis. Hypertens Res. 2010; 33: 622–6.
(21) Kim IY, Kim MJ, Lee DW, Lee SB, Shin MJ, Rhee H, et al. Cardiac valve calcification is associated with presence and severity of coronary artery disease in patients with pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2015; 19: 1090–7
(22) Piers LH, Touw HR, Gansevoort R, Franssen CF, Oudkerk M, Zijlstra F, et al. Relation of aortic valve and coronary artery calcium in patients with chronic kidney disease to the stage and etiology of the renal disease. Am J Cardiol. 2009; 103: 1473–7.
(23) Adeney KL, Siscovick DS, Ix JH, Seliger SL, Shlipak MG, Jenny NS, et al. Association of serum phosphate with vascular and valvular calcification in moderate CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 381–7.
(24) Stewart BF, Siscovick D, Lind BK, Gardin JM, Gottdiener JS, Smith VE, et al. Clinical factors associated with calcific aortic valve disease. Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997; 29: 630–4.
(25) Leskinen Y, Paana T, Saha H, Groundstroem K, Lehtimäki T, Kilpinen S, et al. Valvular calcification and its relationship to atherosclerosis in chronic kidney disease. J Heart Valve Dis. 2009; 18: 429–38.
(26) Hirata T, Arai Y, Takayama M, Abe Y, Ohkuma K, Takebayashi T. Carotid Plaque Score and Risk of Cardiovascular Mortality in the Oldest Old: Results from the TOOTH Study. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2018; 25: 55–64.
(27) Hamburg NM, Creager MA. Pathophysiology of Intermittent Claudication in Peripheral Artery Disease. Circ J. 2017; 81: 281–9.
(28) Mohler ER 3rd. Mechanisms of aortic valve calcification. Am J Cardiol. 2004; 94: 1396–402.
(29) Freeman RV, Otto CM. Spectrum of calcific aortic valve disease: pathogenesis, disease progression, and treatment strategies. Circulation. 2005; 111: 3316–26.
(30) Small A, Kiss D, Giri J, Anwaruddin S, Siddiqi H, Guerraty M, et al. Biomarkers of Calcific Aortic Valve Disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017; 37: 623–32.
(31) Sathyamurthy I, Alex S. C alcific aortic valve disease: is it another face of atherosclerosis? Indian Heart J. 2015; 67: 503–6.
(32) Rattazzi M, Bertacco E, Del Vecchio A, Puato M, Faggin E, Pauletto P. Aortic valve calcification in chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013; 28: 2968–76.
(33) Matsuo S, Imai E, Horio M, Yasuda Y, Tomita K, Nitta K, et al.; Collaborators developing the Japanese equation for estimated GFR: Revised equations for estimated GFR from serum creatinine in Japan. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 53: 982–92.
(34) Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) CKD Work Group. KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int Suppl. 2013;3:S1–150.
(35) Yoshitomi R, Nakayama M, Ura Y, Kuma K, Nishimoto H, Fukui A, et al. Ankle-brachial blood pressure index predicts cardiovascular events and mortality in Japanese patients with chronic kidney disease not on dialysis. Hypertens Res. 2014; 37: 1050–5.
(36) Naqvi AZ, Davis RB, Mukamal KJ. Nutrient intake and peripheral artery disease in adults: key considerations in cross-sectional studies. Clin Nutr. 2014; 33: 443–7.
(37) Sumida Y, Nakayama M, Nagata M, Nakashita S, Suehiro T, Kaizu Y, et al. Carotid artery calcification and atherosclerosis at the initiation of hemodialysis in patients with end-stage renal disease. Clin Nephrol. 2010; 73: 360–9.
(38) Yoshitomi R, Fukui A, Nakayama M, Ura Y, Ikeda H, Oniki H, et al. Sex differences in the association between serum uric acid levels and cardiac hypertrophy in patients with chronic kidney disease. Hypertens Res. 2014; 37: 246–52.
(39) Fox CS, Larson MG, Vasan RS, Guo CY, Parise H, Levy D, et al. Cross-sectional association of kidney function with valvular and annular calcification: the Framingham heart study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 17: 521–7.
(40) Guerraty MA, Chai B, Hsu JY, Ojo AO, Gao Y, Yang W, et al.; CRIC Study Investigators. Relation of aortic valve calcium to chronic kidney disease (from the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort Study). Am J Cardiol. 2015; 115: 1281–6.
(41) Di Lullo L, Gorini A, Bellasi A, Morrone LF, Rivera R, Russo L, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 23 and parathyroid hormone predict extent of aortic valve calcifications in patients with mild to moderate chronic kidney disease. Clin Kidney J. 2015; 8: 732–6.
(42) Maher ER, Young G, Smyth-Walsh B, Pugh S, Curtis JR. Aortic and mitral valve calcification in patients with end-stage renal disease. Lancet. 1987; 2: 875–7.
(43) Messika-Zeitoun D, Aubry MC, Detaint D, Bielak LF, Peyser PA, Sheedy PF, et al. Evaluation and clinical implications of aortic valve calcification measured by electron-beam computed tomography. Circulation. 2004;110:356-62.