(1) McGaghie WC, Issenberg SB, Cohen ER, Barsuk JH, Wayne DB. Does simulation-based medical education with deliberate practice yield better results than traditional clinical education? A meta-analytic comparative review of the evidence. Acad Med 2011;86:706-711.
(2) Weinger MB, Banerjee A, Burden AR et al. Simulation-based Assessment of the Management of Critical Events by Board-certified Anesthesiologists. Anesthesiology 2017;127:475-489.
(3) Durning SJ, Artino AR, Boulet JR, Dorrance K, van der Vleuten C, Schuwirth L. The impact of selected contextual factors on experts' clinical reasoning performance (does context impact clinical reasoning performance in experts?). Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 2011.
(4) Norman G, Bordage G, Page G, Keane D. How specific is case specificity? Medical Education 2006;40:618-623.
(5) Van Der Vleuten CP. The assessment of professional competence: developments, research and practical implications. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 1996;1(1):41-67.
(6) Swanson DB, Norcini JJ, Grosso LJ. Assessment of clinical competence: written and computer-based simulations. Assess Eval High Educ 1987;12(3):220 – 246.
(7) Swanson DB, Norcini JJ. Factors influencing reproducibility of tests using standardized patients. Teach Learn Med 1989: 1(3)158-166.
(8) Guiton G, Hodgson CS, Delandshere G, Wilkerson L. Communication skills in standardized-patient assessment of final-year medical students: a psychometric study. Adv Health Sci Educ 2004: 9:179-187.
(9) Blum RH, Muret-Wagstaff SL, Boulet JR et al. Simulation-based Assessment to Reliably Identify Key Resident Performance Attributes. Anesthesiology 2018;128:821-831.
(10) Murray DJ, Boulet JR, Avidan M et al. Performance of residents and anesthesiologists in a simulation-based skill assessment. Anesthesiology 2007;107:705-713.
(11) Blum RH, Boulet JR, Cooper JB, Muret-Wagstaff SL. Simulation-based assessment to identify critical gaps in safe anesthesia resident performance. Anesthesiology 2014;120.
(12) McIvor WR, Banerjee A, Boulet JR et al. A Taxonomy of Delivery and Documentation Deviations During Delivery of High-Fidelity Simulations. Simul Healthc 2017;12:1-8.
(13) Watkins SC, Roberts DA, Boulet JR, McEvoy MD, Weinger MB. Evaluation of a Simpler Tool to Assess Nontechnical Skills During Simulated Crisis Events. Simul Healthc 2017; 12(2): 69-75.
(14) Boulet JR. Generalizability theory: Basics. In: Everitt BS, Howell DC, eds. Encyclopedia of Statistics in Behavioral Science. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2005;704-711.
(15) Bloch R, Norman G. Generalizability theory for the perplexed: a practical introduction and guide: AMEE Guide No. 68. Med Teach 2012;34:960-992.
(16) Nunnally J, Bernstein L. Psychometric theory. New York: McGraw-Hill Higher, INC, 1994.
(17) van der Vleuten CP. When I say ... context specificity. Med Educ 2014;48:234-235.
(18) Eva KW, Rosenfeld J, Reiter HI, Norman GR. An admissions OSCE: the multiple mini-interview. Med Educ 2004;38:314-326.
(19) Oermann MH, Kardong-Edgren S, Rizzolo MA. Summative Simulated-Based Assessment in Nursing Programs. J Nurs Educ 2016;55:323-328.
(20) Ryall T, Judd BK, Gordon CJ. Simulation-based assessments in health professional education: a systematic review. J Multidiscip Healthc 2016;9:69-82.
(21) Holmboe E, Rizzolo MA, Sachdeva AK, Rosenberg M, Ziv A. Simulation-based assessment and the regulation of healthcare professionals. Simul Healthc 2011;6 Suppl:S58-S62.
(22) Boulet JR, Murray D. Review article: Assessment in anesthesiology education. Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia 2012;59:182-192.
(23) Rathmell JP, Lien C, Harman A. Objective structured clinical examination and board certification in anesthesiology. Anesthesiology 2014;120:4-6.
(24) The American Board of Anesthesiology. http://www.theaba.org/Exams/APPLIED-(Staged-Exam)/About-APPLIED-(Staged-Exam). Accessed June 21, 2018.
(25) Chiu M, Tarshis J, Antoniou A et al. Simulation-based assessment of anesthesiology residents' competence: development and implementation of the Canadian National Anesthesiology Simulation Curriculum (CanNASC). Can J Anaesth 2016;63:1357-1363.
(26 Gingerich A, Kogan J, Yeates P, Govaerts M, Holmboe E. Seeing the ‘black box’ differently: assessor cognition from three research perspectives. Med Educ 2014;48:1055-1068.
(27) Boyle WA, Murray DJ, Beyatte MB et al. Simulation-Based Assessment of Critical Care "Front-Line" Providers. Crit Care Med 2018;46:e516-e522.
(28) Fehr JJ, McBride ME, Boulet JR, Murray DJ. The Simulation-Based Assessment of Pediatric Rapid Response Teams. J Pediatr 2017;188:258-262.
(29) Tanaka P, Park YS, Liu L, Varner C, Kumar AH, Sandhu C, Yumul R, McCartney KT, Spilka J, Macario A. Assessment Scores of a Mock Objective Structured Clinical Examination Administered to 99 Anesthesiology Residents at 8 Institutions, Anesthesia & Analgesia: March 5, 2020 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print - doi:10.1213/ANE.0000000000004705
(30) Boulet JR, Swanson DB. Psychometric challenges of using simulations for high-stakes assessment. In: Dunn WF, ed. Simulations in critical care education and beyond. Des Plains, IL: Society of Critical Care Medicine; 2004;119-130.
(31) van Zanten M, Boulet JR, McKinley DW, De Champlain A, Jobe AC. Assessing the communication and interpersonal skills of graduates of international medical schools as part of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) Exam. Acad Med 2007;82:S65-S68.
(32) Bussard ME. Self-Reflection of Video-Recorded High-Fidelity Simulations and Development of Clinical Judgment. J Nurs Educ 2016;55:522-527.
(33) McIvor W, Burden A, Weinger MB, Steadman R. Simulation for maintenance of certification in anesthesiology: the first two years. J Contin Educ Health Prof 2012;32:236-242.
(34) Steadman RH, Burden AR, Huang YM, Gaba DM, Cooper JB. Practice improvements based on participation in simulation for the maintenance of certification in anesthesiology program. Anesthesiology 2015;122:1154-1169.
(35) Motola I, Devine LA, Chung HS, Sullivan JE, Issenberg SB. Simulation in healthcare education: a best evidence practical guide. AMEE Guide No. 82. Med Teach 2013;35:e1511-e1530.
(36) Sellers MM, Niknam BA, Kelz RR. A Framework for the Assessment of Graduate Medical Education. JAMA Surg 2017;152:715-716.