1. Argyriou AA, Kyritsis AP, Makatsoris T, Kalofonos HP. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy in adults: a comprehensive update of the literature. Cancer Manag Res. 2014;6:135–47.
2. Han Y, Smith MT. Pathobiology of cancer chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN). Front Pharmacol. 2013 Dec 18;4:156.
3. Hershman DL, Lacchetti C, Dworkin RH, Smith EML, Bleeker J, Cavaletti G, et al. Prevention and Management of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Survivors of Adult Cancers: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jun 20;32(18):1941–67.
4. Gutiérrez-Gutiérrez G, Sereno M, Miralles A, Casado-Sáenz E, Gutiérrez-Rivas E. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: clinical features, diagnosis, prevention and treatment strategies. Clin Transl Oncol Off Publ Fed Span Oncol Soc Natl Cancer Inst Mex. 2010 Feb;12(2):81–91.
5. Stubblefield MD, Burstein HJ, Burton AW, Custodio CM, Deng GE, Ho M, et al. NCCN task force report: management of neuropathy in cancer. J Natl Compr Cancer Netw JNCCN. 2009 Sep;7 Suppl 5:S1–26; quiz S27-28.
6. Windebank AJ, Grisold W. Chemotherapy-induced neuropathy. J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2008;13(1):27–46.
7. Pike CT, Birnbaum HG, Muehlenbein CE, Pohl GM, Natale RB. Healthcare costs and workloss burden of patients with chemotherapy-associated peripheral neuropathy in breast, ovarian, head and neck, and nonsmall cell lung cancer. Chemother Res Pract. 2012;2012:913848.
8. Asbury A, Thomas P. Peripheral Nerve Disorders 2. Butterworth-Heinemann; 1995. 336 p.
9. Tofthagen C, Overcash J, Kip K. Falls in persons with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Support Care Cancer. 2012;20(3):583–9.
10. Wampler MA, Topp KS, Miaskowski C, Byl NN, Rugo HS, Hamel K. Quantitative and Clinical Description of Postural Instability in Women With Breast Cancer Treated With Taxane Chemotherapy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007 Aug;88(8):1002–8.
11. Winters-Stone KM, Horak F, Jacobs PG, Trubowitz P, Dieckmann NF, Stoyles S, et al. Falls, Functioning, and Disability Among Women With Persistent Symptoms of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Aug 10;35(23):2604–12.
12. Herman HK, Monfort SM, Pan XJ, Chaudhari AMW, Lustberg MB. Effect of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy on postural control in cancer survivors. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Feb 10;35(5_suppl):128–128.
13. Marshall TF, Zipp GP, Battaglia F, Moss R, Bryan S. Chemotherapy-induced-peripheral neuropathy, gait and fall risk in older adults following cancer treatment. J Cancer Res Pract. 2017 Dec 1;4(4):134–8.
14. Monfort SM, Pan X, Patrick R, Ramaswamy B, Wesolowski R, Naughton MJ, et al. Gait, balance, and patient-reported outcomes during taxane-based chemotherapy in early-stage breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Jul 1;164(1):69–77.
15. Gewandter JS, Fan L, Magnuson A, Mustian K, Peppone L, Heckler C, et al. Falls and functional impairments in cancer survivors with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN): a University of Rochester CCOP study. Support Care Cancer. 2013 Jul;21(7):2059–66.
16. Bao T, Basal C, Seluzicki C, Li SQ, Seidman AD, Mao JJ. Long-term chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy among breast cancer survivors: prevalence, risk factors, and fall risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Sep;159(2):327–33.
17. Kolb NA, Smith AG, Singleton JR, Beck SL, Stoddard GJ, Brown S, et al. The Association of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy Symptoms and the Risk of Falling. JAMA Neurol. 2016 Jul 1;73(7):860–6.
18. Mols F, Beijers T, Vreugdenhil G, van de Poll-Franse L. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy and its association with quality of life: a systematic review. Support Care Cancer. 2014 Aug;22(8):2261–9.
19. Cesari M, Kritchevsky SB, Newman AB, Simonsick EM, Harris TB, Penninx BW, et al. Added value of physical performance measures in predicting adverse health-related events: results from the Health, Aging And Body Composition Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009;57(2):251–9.
20. Cesari M, Cerullo F, Zamboni V, Palma RD, Scambia G, Balducci L, et al. Functional Status and Mortality in Older Women With Gynecological Cancer. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013;68(9):1129–33.
21. Klepin HD, Geiger AM, Tooze JA, Newman AB, Colbert LH, Bauer DC, et al. Physical performance and subsequent disability and survival in older adults with malignancy: results from the health, aging and body composition study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Jan;58(1):76–82.
22. Onder G, Penninx BWJH, Ferrucci L, Fried LP, Guralnik JM, Pahor M. Measures of physical performance and risk for progressive and catastrophic disability: results from the Women’s Health and Aging Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Jan;60(1):74–9.
23. Alekna V, Stukas R, Tamulaitytė-Morozovienė I, Šurkienė G, Tamulaitienė M. Self-reported consequences and healthcare costs of falls among elderly women. Med Kaunas Lith. 2015;51(1):57–62.
24. Alexander BH, Rivara FP, Wolf ME. The cost and frequency of hospitalization for fall-related injuries in older adults. Am J Public Health. 1992;82(7):1020–3.
25. Kneis S, Wehrle A, Freyler K, Lehmann K, Rudolphi B, Hildenbrand B, et al. Balance impairments and neuromuscular changes in breast cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Feb;127(2):1481–90.
26. Bonnet C, Carello C, Turvey MT. Diabetes and Postural Stability: Review and Hypotheses. J Mot Behav. 2009 Mar;41:172–92.
27. Dickstein R, Peterka RJ, Horak FB. Effects of light fingertip touch on postural responses in subjects with diabetic neuropathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003 Jan 5;74(5):620–6.
28. Dickstein R, Shupert CL, Horak FB. Fingertip touch improves postural stability in patients with peripheral neuropathy. Gait Posture. 2001 Dec;14(3):238–47.
29. Simmons RW, Richardson C, Pozos R. Postural stability of diabetic patients with and without cutaneous sensory deficit in the foot. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1997 Jun;36(3):153–60.
30. Horak FB, Hlavacka F. Somatosensory loss increases vestibulospinal sensitivity. J Neurophysiol. 2001 Aug;86(2):575–85.
31. Fitzpatrick R, McCloskey DI. Proprioceptive, visual and vestibular thresholds for the perception of sway during standing in humans. J Physiol. 1994 Jul 1;478 ( Pt 1):173–86.
32. Nashner LM, Black FO, Wall C. Adaptation to altered support and visual conditions during stance: patients with vestibular deficits. J Neurosci. 1982 May;2(5):536–44.
33. Peterka RJ, Benolken MS. Role of somatosensory and vestibular cues in attenuating visually induced human postural sway. Exp Brain Res. 1995;105(1):101–10.
34. Corna S, Tarantola J, Nardone A, Giordano A, Schieppati M. Standing on a continuously moving platform: is body inertia counteracted or exploited? Exp Brain Res. 1999 Feb;124(3):331–41.
35. Schieppati M, Giordano A, Nardone A. Variability in a dynamic postural task attests ample flexibility in balance control mechanisms. Exp Brain Res. 2002 May;144(2):200–10.
36. Engelhart D, Pasma JH, Schouten AC, Meskers CGM, Maier AB, Mergner T, et al. Impaired standing balance in elderly: a new engineering method helps to unravel causes and effects. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014 Mar;15(3):227.e1-6.
37. Pasma JH, Engelhart D, Maier AB, Schouten AC, van der Kooij H, Meskers CGM. Changes in sensory reweighting of proprioceptive information during standing balance with age and disease. J Neurophysiol. 2015 Dec;114(6):3220–33.
38. Wiesmeier IK, Dalin D, Maurer C. Elderly Use Proprioception Rather than Visual and Vestibular Cues for Postural Motor Control. Front Aging Neurosci. 2015;7:97.
39. Schwenk M, Grewal GS, Holloway D, Muchna A, Garland L, Najafi B. Interactive Sensor-Based Balance Training in Older Cancer Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Gerontology. 2016;62(5):553–63.
40. Streckmann F, Zopf EM, Lehmann HC, May K, Rizza J, Zimmer P, et al. Exercise Intervention Studies in Patients with Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review. Sports Med. 2014 Jun 14;44(9).
41. Zimmer P, Trebing S, Timmers-Trebing U, Schenk A, Paust R, Bloch W, et al. Eight-week, multimodal exercise counteracts a progress of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy and improves balance and strength in metastasized colorectal cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial. Support Care Cancer. 2017 Sep 30;26(2):615–24.
42. Kneis S, Wehrle A, Müller J, Maurer C, Ihorst G, Gollhofer A, et al. It’s never too late - balance and endurance training improves functional performance, quality of life, and alleviates neuropathic symptoms in cancer survivors suffering from chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: results of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Cancer. 2019 May 2;19(1):414.
43. Allet L, Armand S, de Bie RA, Golay A, Monnin D, Aminian K, et al. The gait and balance of patients with diabetes can be improved: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia. 2010 Mar;53(3):458–66.
44. Lee K, Lee S, Song C. Whole-body vibration training improves balance, muscle strength and glycosylated hemoglobin in elderly patients with diabetic neuropathy. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2013;231(4):305–14.
45. Song CH, Petrofsky JS, Lee SW, Lee KJ, Yim JE. Effects of an exercise program on balance and trunk proprioception in older adults with diabetic neuropathies. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2011 Aug;13(8):803–11.
46. Taube W, Gruber M, Gollhofer A. Spinal and supraspinal adaptations associated with balance training and their functional relevance. Acta Physiol Oxf. 2008 Jun;193(2):101–16.
47. Zech A, Hübscher M, Vogt L, Banzer W, Hänsel F, Pfeifer K. Balance training for neuromuscular control and performance enhancement: a systematic review. J Athl Train. 2010 Aug;45(4):392–403.
48. Granacher U, Muehlbauer T, Taube W, Gollhofer A, Gruber M. Sensorimotor Training. In: Strength and conditioning: biological principles and practical applications. San Francisco: Wiley-Blackwell; 2011. p. 399.
49. Cnyrim C, Mergner T, Maurer C. Potential roles of force cues in human stance control. Exp Brain Res. 2009 Feb 14;194(3):419–33.
50. Maurer C, Mergner T, Peterka RJ. Multisensory control of human upright stance. Exp Brain Res. 2006 May;171(2):231–50.
51. Maurer C, Peterka RJ. A new interpretation of spontaneous sway measures based on a simple model of human postural control. J Neurophysiol. 2005 Jan;93(1):189–200.
52. Prieto TE, Myklebust JB, Hoffmann RG, Lovett EG, Myklebust BM. Measures of postural steadiness: differences between healthy young and elderly adults. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 1996 Sep;43(9):956–66.
53. Peterka RJ. Sensorimotor integration in human postural control. J Neurophysiol. 2002 Sep;88(3):1097–118.
54. Wiesmeier IK, Dalin D, Wehrle A, Granacher U, Muehlbauer T, Dietterle J, et al. Balance Training Enhances Vestibular Function and Reduces Overactive Proprioceptive Feedback in Elderly. Front Aging Neurosci. 2017;9:273.
55. Kooij H van der, Jacobs R, Koopman B, Helm F van der. An adaptive model of sensory integration in a dynamic environment applied to human stance control. Biol Cybern. 2001 Jan 1;84(2):103–15.
56. Mergner T, Maurer C, Peterka RJ. Sensory contributions to the control of stance: a posture control model. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;508:147–52.
57. Welch TDJ, Ting LH. A Feedback Model Explains the Differential Scaling of Human Postural Responses to Perturbation Acceleration and Velocity. J Neurophysiol. 2009 Jun;101(6):3294–309.
58. Streckmann F, Kneis S, Leifert JA, Baumann FT, Kleber M, Ihorst G, et al. Exercise program improves therapy-related side-effects and quality of life in lymphoma patients undergoing therapy. Ann Oncol. 2014 Jan 2;25(2):493–9.
59. Boucher P, Teasdale N, Courtemanche R, Bard C, Fleury M. Postural stability in diabetic polyneuropathy. Diabetes Care. 1995 May;18(5):638–45.
60. Corriveau H, Prince F, Hébert R, Raîche M, Tessier D, Maheux P, et al. Evaluation of Postural Stability in Elderly with Diabetic Neuropathy. Diabetes Care. 2000 Jan 8;23(8):1187–91.
61. Di Nardo W, Ghirlanda G, Cercone S, Pitocco D, Soponara C, Cosenza A, et al. The use of dynamic posturography to detect neurosensorial disorder in IDDM without clinical neuropathy. J Diabetes Complications. 1999 Apr;13(2):79–85.
62. Simoneau GG, Ulbrecht JS, Derr JA, Becker MB, Cavanagh PR. Postural instability in patients with diabetic sensory neuropathy. Diabetes Care. 1994 Dec;17(12):1411–21.
63. Uccioli L, Giacomini PG, Monticone G, Magrini A, Durola L, Bruno E, et al. Body sway in diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care. 1995 Mar;18(3):339–44.
64. van der Kooij H, Peterka RJ. Non-linear stimulus-response behavior of the human stance control system is predicted by optimization of a system with sensory and motor noise. J Comput Neurosci. 2011 Jun;30(3):759–78.
65. Horak FB, Dickstein R, Peterka RJ. Diabetic neuropathy and surface sway-referencing disrupt somatosensory information for postural stability in stance. Somatosens Mot Res. 2002 Jan 1;19(4):316–26.
66. Tucker MG, Kavanagh JJ, Barrett RS, Morrison S. Age-related differences in postural reaction time and coordination during voluntary sway movements. Hum Mov Sci. 2008 Oct;27(5):728–37.
67. Allum JHJ, Carpenter MG, Honegger F, Adkin AL, Bloem BR. Age-dependent variations in the directional sensitivity of balance corrections and compensatory arm movements in man. J Physiol. 2002 Jul 15;542(Pt 2):643–63.
68. Mergner T, Maurer C, Peterka RJ. A multisensory posture control model of human upright stance. Prog Brain Res. 2003;142:189–201.
69. Cata JP, Weng HR, Lee BN, Reuben JM, Dougherty PM. Clinical and experimental findings in humans and animals with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Minerva Anestesiol. 2006 Mar;72(3):151–69.
70. Brown JC, Harhay MO, Harhay MN. Physical function as a prognostic biomarker among cancer survivors. Br J Cancer. 2015;112(1):194–8.