1. Barello S, Graffigna G. Patient engagement in healthcare : pathways for effective medical decision making. 2015;53–65.
2. Ferrer L. Engaging patients, carers and communities for the provision of coordinated/integrated health services: strategies and tools. World Heal Organ [Internet]. 2015;1–66. Available from: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/290443/Engaging-patients-carers-communities-provision-coordinated-integrated-health-services.pdf
3. Graffigna G, Barello S, Bonanomi A, Lozza E. Measuring patient engagement: Development and psychometric properties of the patient health engagement (PHE) scale. Front Psychol. 2015;6(MAR):1–11.
4. World Health Organization (WHO). Non communicable Diseases Country Profiles. Genève WHO Press 2014 [Internet]. 2014;1–210. Available from: http://www.who.int/nmh/countries/ben_en.pdf?ua=1
5. Wonde D, Baru A. The perils of chronic illnesses: patients lived Experience and societal reactions in central and Southwestern Ethiopia. 2019;(May).
6. Carey RM, paul Muntner, Hayden B. Bosworth PKW. Prevention and Control of Hypertension: JACC Health Promotion Series. Elsevier. 2018;72(11):1278–93.
7. Kish L. The Blockbuster Drug of the Century : An Engaged Patient [Internet]. HL 7 Standards blogpost. 2012. p. 2. Available from: http://www.hl7standards.com/blog/2012/08/28/drug-of-the-century/
8. Abdulrahman Mohammed Al Muammar, Zakiuddin Ahmed AMA. Paradigm Shift in Healthcare through Technology and Patient- Centeredness. Int Arch Public Heal Community Med. 2018;2(1):1–8.
9. WHO. Patient Engagement. In: Technical Series on Safer Primary Care. 2016.
10. Krist AH, Tong ST, Aycock RA, Longo DR. Engaging patients in decision-making and behavior change to promote prevention. Inf Serv Use. 2017;37(2):105–22.
11. Hibbard J. Supporting people to manage their health An introduction to. 2014;(May).
12. Hibbard JH, Greene J, Overton V. Patients with lower activation associated with higher costs; Delivery systems should know their Patients’ “Scores.” Health Aff. 2013;32(2):216–22.
13. Barker I, Steventon A, Williamson R, Deeny SR. Self-management capability in patients with long-term conditions is associated with reduced healthcare utilisation across a whole health economy : cross-sectional analysis of electronic health records. BMJ. 2018;989–99.
14. Mattke S, Mengistu T, Klautzer L, Sloss EM, Brook RH. Improving Care for Chronic Conditions Current Practices and Future Trends in Health Plan Programs. 2015.
15. Do V, Young L, Barnason S, Tran H. Relationships between activation level , knowledge , self-efficacy , and self-management behavior in heart failure patients discharged from rural hospitals. 2015;(0):1–11.
16. Hibbard JH, Mahoney ER, Stockard J. Methods Development and Testing of a Short Form of the Patient Activation Measure. Heal Res Educ Trust. 2005;40:1918–30.
17. Simon D, Psych D, Kriston L, Psych D, Dipl AL. Confirmatory factor analysis and recommendations for improvement of the Autonomy-Preference-Index ( API ). 2010;234–43.
18. Osborne RH, Batterham RW, Elsworth GR, Hawkins M, Buchbinder R. The grounded psychometric development and initial validation of the Health Literacy Questionnaire ( HLQ ). BMC Public Health. 2013;13.
19. Abdul-hamid H, Badlishah-sham SF, Baharudin N. Factors Associated with High Patient Activation Level among Individuals with Metabolic Syndrome at a Primary Care Teaching Clinic. J Prim Care Community Health. 2020;11:1–13.
20. Alw N. Patient Activation in Australians with Chronic Illness – Survey Results. 2019;(October):1–36.
21. Narayan U, Id Y, Id JL, Hosseinzadeh H, Baral KP, Bhatta N, et al. Levels and determinants of health literacy and patient activation among multi-morbid COPD people in rural Nepal : Findings from a cross- sectional study. 2020;(v):1–16.
22. Kryworuchko J, Strachan PH, Nouvet E, Downar J, You JJ. Factors influencing communication and decision-making about life-sustaining technology during serious illness : a qualitative study. BMJ. 2016;6:1–11.
23. Hashomer T, Sibel Sakarya, E Kulak, S Gorcin Karaketir, E Dogan MA, S Cifcili, ED Gunes LO. Factors associated with patient activation in a Turkish population with diabetes and/or hypertension. Eur J Public Health. 2019;29:466–7.
24. Zimbudzi E, Rn H, Mbbs C Lo, Epi SRM, Stats A, Kerr PG, et al. The association between patient activation and self- care practices : A cross- sectional study of an Australian population with comorbid diabetes and chronic kidney disease. Heal Expect. 2017;(May):1375–84.
25. Greene J, Hibbard JH. Why Does Patient Activation Matter ? An Examination of the Relationships Between Patient Activation and Health-Related Outcomes. ResearchGate. 2014;(May).
26. Yuan M. Integrating factors associated with hypertensive patients ’ self-management using structural equation modeling : a cross-sectional study in Guangdong, china. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2018;12:2169–78.
27. Assefa S, Endris K, Ashencho D, Eyasu M. Factors Associated with Level of Patient Activation and Its Role to Glycemic Control and among Adults with Type II Diabetes Attending Diabetic Clinic at Hospitals in Addis Ababa. Int J Trop Dis Heal. 2019;37(4):1–11.
28. Smith MA. The role of shared decision making in patient-centered care and orthopaedics. Orthop Nurs. 2016;35(3):144–9.
29. Zhang X, Foo S, Majid S, Chang Y, Trinity H, Dumaual J, et al. Self-Care and Health-Information-Seeking Behaviours of Diabetic Patients in Singapore. Health Commun. 2019;0(0):1–10.
30. Sjöberg T. Perceptions of Received Information, Social Support, and Coping in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension or Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension. Lib Acadamia. 2014;21–8.
31. Smith SG, Curtis LM, Wardle J, Wagner C Von, Wolf MS. Skill Set or Mind Set ? Associations between Health Literacy , Patient Activation and Health. PLoS One. 2013;8(9):1–7.
32. Couture ÉM, Chouinard M, Fortin M, Hudon C. The relationship between health literacy and patient activation among frequent users of healthcare services : a cross- sectional study. BMC Fam Pract. 2018;4–9.
33. Riegel B, Jaarsma T, Strömberg A. A middle-range theory of self-care of chronic illness. Adv Nurs Sci. 2012;35(3):194–204.
34. Deci EL, Ryan RM. Self-determination theory in health care and its relations to motivational interviewing : a few comments. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012;1–6.
35. Hall S, Hamersky CM. Exploring Autonomy Support in Shared Decision Making and Patient Activation of Diabetes Self- Care Behaviors. 2017.
36. Barello S, Palamenghi L, Graffigna G, Barello S. The effect of Autonomy-Supportive Patient-Centered Communication on Health Literacy : Exploring the Mediating Role of the Patient Health Engagement Model. Int J Environ Res Public Heal Artic. 2020;17(January):1–19.