1. Kirkpatrick DK, Trachtenberg LS, Mangino PD, Von Fraunhofer JA, Seligson D. In vitro characteristics of tobramycin-PMMA beads: comprehensive strength and leaching. Orthopedics. 1985;8:1130-3
2. Cerretani D, Giorgi G, Fornara P, Bocchi L, Neri L, Ceffa R, et al. The in vitro elution characteristics of vancomycin combined with imipenem-cilastatin in acrylic bone-cements. J Arthroplasty. 2002;17:619-26.
3. Bozic KJ, Ries MD. The impact of infection after total hip arthroplasty on hospital and surgeon resource utilization. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:1746-51.
4. Klouche S, Sariali E, Mamoudy P. Total hip arthroplasty revision due to infection: a cost analysis approach. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2010;96:124-32.
5. Fisman DN, Reilly DT, Karchmer AW, Goldie SJ. Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of 2 management strategies for infected total hip arthroplasty in the elderly. Clin Infect Dis. 2001 1;32:419-30.
6. Shinto Y, Uchida A, Korkusuz F, Araki N, Ono K. Calcium hydroxyapatite ceramic used as a delivery system for antibiotics. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1992;74:600-4.
7. Uchida A, Shinto Y, Araki N, Ono K. Slow release of anticancer drugs from porous calcium hydroxyapatite ceramic. J Orthop Res. 1992;10:440-5.
8. Klouche S, Lhotellier L, Mamoudy P. Infected total hip arthroplasty treated by an irrigation-debridement/component retention protocol. A prospective study in a 12-case series with minimum 2 years' follow-up. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2011;97:134-8
9. Zimmerli W, Trampuz A, Ochsner PE. Prosthetic-Joint Infections. N Engl J Med. 2004 14;351:1645-54
10. Osmon DR, Berbari EF, Berendt AR, Lew D, Zimmerli W, Steckelberg JM, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Executive summary: Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:1-10.
11. de Vries L, van der Weegen W, Neve W, Das H, Ridwan B, Steens J. The Effectiveness of Debridement, Antibiotics and Irrigation for Periprosthetic Joint Infections after Primary Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. A 15 Years Retrospective Study in Two Community Hospitals in the Netherlands. J Bone Jt Infect. 2016 7;1:20-24.
12. Zmistowski B, Karam JA, Durinka JB, Casper DS, Parvizi J. Periprosthetic joint infection increases the risk of one-year mortality. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 18;95:2177-84
13. Natsuhara KM, Shelton TJ, Meehan JP, Lum ZC. Mortality During Total Hip Periprosthetic Joint Infection. J Arthroplasty. 2019;34:S337-S342.
14. Choong PF, Dowsey MM, Carr D, Daffy J, Stanley P. Risk factors associated with acute hip prosthetic joint infections and outcome of treatment with a rifampinbased regimen. Acta Orthop. 2007;78:755-65.
15. Bongartz T, Halligan CS, Osmon DR, Reinalda MS, Bamlet WR, Crowson CS, et al. Incidence and risk factors of prosthetic joint infection after total hip or knee replacement in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 15;59:1713-20.
16. Berend KR, Lombardi AV Jr, Morris MJ, Bergeson AG, Adams JB, Sneller MA. Two-stage treatment of hip periprosthetic joint infection is associated with a high rate of infection control but high mortality. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471:510-8.
17. Leonard HA, Liddle AD, Burke O, Murray DW, Pandit H. Single- or two-stage revision for infected total hip arthroplasty? A systematic review of the literature. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;472:1036-42.
18. Shohat N, Goswami K, Tan TL, Fillingham Y, Parvizi J. Increased Failure After Irrigation and Debridement for Acute Hematogenous Periprosthetic Joint Infection J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 17;101:696-703.
19. Triantafyllopoulos GK, Poultsides LA, Sakellariou VI, Zhang W, Sculco PK, Ma Y, et al. Irrigation and debridement for periprosthetic infections of the hip and factors determining outcome. Int Orthop. 2015;39:1203-9.
20. Vilchez F, Martínez-Pastor JC, García-Ramiro S, Bori G, Maculé F, Sierra J, et al. Outcome and predictors of treatment failure in early post-surgical prosthetic joint infections due to Staphylococcus aureus treated with debridement. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:439-44.
21. Odum SM, Fehring TK, Lombardi AV, Zmistowski BM, Brown NM, Luna JT, et al. Periprosthetic Infection Consortium. Irrigation and debridement for periprosthetic infections: does the organism matter? J Arthroplasty. 2011;26(6 Suppl):114-8.
22. Kuiper JW, Vos SJ, Saouti R, Vergroesen DA, Graat HC, Debets-Ossenkopp YJ, et al. Prosthetic joint-associated infections treated with DAIR (debridement, antibiotics, irrigation, and retention): analysis of risk factors and local antibiotic carriers in 91 patients Acta Orthop. 2013;84:380-6.
23. Buller LT, Sabry FY, Easton RW, Klika AK, Barsoum WK. The preoperative prediction of success following irrigation and debridement with polyethylene exchange for hip and knee prosthetic joint infections. J Arthroplasty. 2012;27:857-64.e1-4.
24. Lebeaux D, Ghigo JM, Beloin C. Biofilm-related infections: bridging the gap between clinical management and fundamental aspects of recalcitrance toward antibiotics. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2014;78:510-43.
25. Davies D. Understanding biofilm resistance to antibacterial agents. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2003;2:114-22.
26. Byren I, Bejon P, Atkins BL, Angus B, Masters S, McLardy-Smith P, et al. One hundred and twelve infected arthroplasties treated with 'DAIR' (debridement, antibiotics and implant retention): antibiotic duration and outcome. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009;63:1264-71.
27. Joseph TN, Chen AL, Di Cesare PE. Use of antibiotic-impregnated cement in total joint arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2003;11:38-47.
28. Sudo A, Hasegawa M, Fukuda A, Uchida A. Treatment of infected hip arthroplasty with antibiotic-impregnated calcium hydroxyapatite. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:145-50.
29. Choe H, Inaba Y, Kobayashi N, Miyamae Y, Ike H, Saito T. Clinical utility of antibiotic-loaded hydroxyapatite block for treatment of intractable periprosthetic joint infection and septic arthritis of the hip. Mod Rheumatol. 2015; 25:937-42.
30. Korkusuz F, Uchida A, Shinto Y, Araki N, Inoue K, Ono K. Experimental implant-related osteomyelitis treated by antibiotic-calcium hydroxyapatite ceramic composites. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993; 75:111-4.