1. Martin BI, Deyo RA, Mirza SK, et al. Expenditures and health status among adults with back and neck problems. J Am Med Assoc. 2008;299(6):656–64.
2. James SL, Abate D, Abate KH, Abay SM, Abbafati C, Abbasi N, et al. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2017. The Lancet. 2018 Nov 10;392(10159):1789–858.
3. Fejer R, Kyvik KO, Hartvigsen J. The prevalence of neck pain in the world population: a systematic critical review of the literature. Eur Spine J. 2006 Jun;15(6):834–48.
4. Bryans R, Decina P, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, Marcoux H, Potter B, et al. Evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with neck pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014 Jan;37(1):42–63.
5. Hurwitz EL, Carragee EJ, van der Velde G, Carroll LJ, Nordin M, Guzman J, et al. Treatment of neck pain: noninvasive interventions: results of the bone and joint decade 2000–2010 task force on neck pain and its associated disorders. Eur Spine J. 2008 04;17(Suppl 1):123–52.
6. Bussieres AE, Stewart G, Al-Zoubi F, Decina P, Descarreaux M, Hayden J, et al. The treatment of neck pain-associated disorders and whiplash-associated disorders: a clinical practice guideline. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Oct;39(8):523–64.
7. Bier JD, Scholten-Peeters WGM, Staal JB, Pool J, van Tulder MW, Beekman E, et al. Clinical practice guideline for physical therapy assessment and treatment in patients with nonspecific neck pain. Phys Ther. 2018 Mar 1;98(3):162–71.
8. Whalen W, Farabaugh RJ, Hawk C, Minkalis AL, Lauretti W, Crivelli LS, et al. Best-practice recommendations for chiropractic management of patients with neck pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2019 Nov 1;42(9):635–50.
9. Bronfort G, Haas M, Evans R, Leininger B, Triano J. Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report. Chiropr Osteopat. 2010;18(1):3.
10. Gross A, Miller J, D’Sylva J, Burnie S, Goldsmith C, Graham N, et al. Manipulation or mobilisation for neck pain: a cochrane review. Man Ther. 2010 Aug;15(4):315–33.
11. Puentedura EJ, March J, Anders J, Perez A, Landers MR, Wallmann HW, et al. Safety of cervical spine manipulation: are adverse events preventable and are manipulations being performed appropriately? A review of 134 case reports. J Man Manip Ther. 2012 May;20(2):66–74.
12. Di Fabio RP. Manipulation of the cervical spine: risks and benefits. Phys Ther. 1999 Jan;79(1):50–65.
13. Biller J, Sacco RL, Albuquerque FC, Demaerschalk BM, Fayad P, Long PH, et al. Cervical arterial dissections and association with cervical manipulative therapy: a statement for healthcare professionals from the american heart association/american stroke association. Stroke J Cereb Circ. 2014 Oct;45(10):3155–74.
14. Ernst E. Adverse effects of spinal manipulation: a systematic review. J R Soc Med. 2007 Jul;100(7):330–8.
15. Frisoni GB, Anzola GP. Vertebrobasilar ischemia after neck motion. Stroke. 1991 Nov;22:1452–60.
16. Assendelft WJ, Bouter LM, Knipschild PG. Complications of spinal manipulation: a comprehensive review of the literature. J Fam Pract. 1996 May;42(5):475–80.
17. Haldeman S, Kohlbeck FJ, McGregor M. Stroke, cerebral artery dissection, and cervical spine manipulation therapy. J Neurol. 2002 Aug;249(8):1098–104.
18. Mann T, Refshauge KM. Causes of complications from cervical spine manipulation. Aust J Physiother. 2001 Jan 1;47(4):255–66.
19. Mitchell J. Vertebral artery blood flow velocity changes associated with cervical spine rotation: a meta-analysis of the evidence with implications for professional practice. J Man Manip Ther. 2009;17(1):46–57.
20. Triano JJ, Schultz AB. Motions of the head and thorax during neck manipulations. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1994 Dec;17(9):573–83.
21. Klein P, Broers C, Feipel V, Salvia P, Van Geyt B, Dugailly PM, et al. Global 3D head-trunk kinematics during cervical spine manipulation at different levels. Clin Biomech. 2003 Nov;18(9):827–31.
22. Ngan JMW, Chow DHK, Holmes AD. The kinematics and intra- and inter-therapist consistencies of lower cervical rotational manipulation. Med Eng Phys. 2005;27(5):395–401.
23. Williams JM, Cuesta-Vargas AI. An investigation into the kinematics of 2 cervical manipulation techniques. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2013 Jan 1;36(1):20–6.
24. Liguo Z, Minshan F, Xunlu Y, Shangquan W, Jie Y. Kinematics analysis of cervical rotation-traction manipulation measured by a motion capture system. Vemulpad S, editor. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017 Oct 11;2017:5293916.
25. Dugailly P-M, Beyer B, Sobczak S, Salvia P, Feipel V. Global and regional kinematics of the cervical spine during upper cervical spine manipulation: a reliability analysis of 3D motion data. Man Ther. 2014 Oct;19(5):472–7.
26. Piper SL, Howarth SJ, Triano J, Herzog W. Quantifying strain in the vertebral artery with simultaneous motion analysis of the head and neck: a preliminary investigation. Clin Biomech. 2014 Dec;29(10):1099–107.
27. Symons BP, Leonard T, Herzog W. Internal forces sustained by the vertebral artery during spinal manipulative therapy. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2002 Oct;25(8):504–10.
28. Wuest S, Symons B, Leonard T, Herzog W. Preliminary report: biomechanics of vertebral artery segments C1-C6 during cervical spinal manipulation. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2010 May;33(4):273–8.
29. Herzog W, Leonard TR, Symons B, Tang C, Wuest S. Vertebral artery strains during high-speed, low amplitude cervical spinal manipulation. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2012 Oct;22(5):740–6.
30. Gorrell LM, Sawatsky A, Edwards WB, Herzog W. Vertebral artery strains during cervical spine manipulation and mechanical failure testing – is cervical spine manipulation safe? Prep. In prep;
31. Sugimoto T, Ochi K, Hosomi N, Mukai T, Ueno H, Takahashi T, et al. Ultrasonographic Reference Sizes of the Median and Ulnar Nerves and the Cervical Nerve Roots in Healthy Japanese Adults. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2013 Sep 1;39(9):1560–70.
32. Esposito S, Philipson S, Downie A. Spinal Adjustment Technique: The Chiropractic Art. 1st ed. Craft Printing P/L, Australia; 2005.
33. Herzog W. The Biomechanics of Spinal Manipulation. Crit Rev Phys Rehabil Med. 2001 Sep 1;13:26.
34. Schreven S, Beek PJ, Smeets JBJ. Optimising filtering parameters for a 3D motion analysis system. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2015 Oct 1;25(5):808–14.
35. Van Geyt B, Dugailly P-M, Klein P, Lepers Y, Beyer B, Feipel V. Assessment of in vivo 3D kinematics of cervical spine manipulation: Influence of practitioner experience and occurrence of cavitation noise. Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2017 Apr;28:18–24.
36. Van Mameren H, Drukker J, Sanches H, Beursgens J. Cervical spine motion in the sagittal plane (I) range of motion of actually performed movements, an X-ray cinematographic study. Eur J Morphol. 1990;28(1):47–68.
37. Herzog W. The biomechanics of spinal manipulation. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010 Jul;14(3):280–6.
38. Johnson CP, How T, Scraggs M, West CR, Burns J. A biomechanical study of the human vertebral artery with implications for fatal arterial injury. Forensic Sci Int. 2000 Apr 10;109(3):169–82.