1. Burri PH: Structural aspects of postnatal lung development–alveolar formation and growth. Neonatology 2006, 89:313-322.
2. Owens L, Laing I, Zhang G, Le Souef P: Early sensitization is associated with reduced lung function from birth into adulthood. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2016, 137:1605-1607. e1602.
3. Vos T, Abajobir AA, Abate KH, Abbafati C, Abbas KM, Abd-Allah F, Abdulkader RS, Abdulle AM, Abebo TA, Abera SF: Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. The Lancet 2017, 390:1211-1259.
4. Halpin DM, Decramer M, Celli BR, Mueller A, Metzdorf N, Tashkin DP: Effect of a single exacerbation on decline in lung function in COPD. Respiratory medicine 2017, 128:85-91.
5. O'Byrne PM, Pedersen S, Lamm CJ, Tan WC, Busse WW: Severe exacerbations and decline in lung function in asthma. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2009, 179:19-24.
6. Fawke J, Lum S, Kirkby J, Hennessy E, Marlow N, Rowell V, Thomas S, Stocks J: Lung function and respiratory symptoms at 11 years in children born extremely preterm: the EPICure study. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2010, 182:237-245.
7. Stern DA, Morgan WJ, Wright AL, Guerra S, Martinez FD: Poor airway function in early infancy and lung function by age 22 years: a non-selective longitudinal cohort study. The Lancet 2007, 370:758-764.
8. Agusti A, Faner R: Lung function trajectories in health and disease. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2019, 7:358-364.
9. Song P, Zhang Y, Yu J, Zha M, Zhu Y, Rahimi K, Rudan I: Global prevalence of hypertension in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA pediatrics 2019, 173:1154-1163.
10. Banker A, Bell C, Gupta-Malhotra M, Samuels J: Blood pressure percentile charts to identify high or low blood pressure in children. BMC pediatrics 2016, 16:1-7.
11. Park C, Fraser A, Howe LD, Jones S, Davey Smith G, Lawlor DA, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD: Elevated blood pressure in adolescence is attributable to a combination of elevated cardiac output and total peripheral resistance: evidence against a hyperkinetic state. Hypertension 2018, 72:1103-1108.
12. Zhou B, Bentham J, Di Cesare M, Bixby H, Danaei G, Cowan MJ, Paciorek CJ, Singh G, Hajifathalian K, Bennett JE: Worldwide trends in blood pressure from 1975 to 2015: a pooled analysis of 1479 population-based measurement studies with 19· 1 million participants. The Lancet 2017, 389:37-55.
13. Mills KT, Bundy JD, Kelly TN, Reed JE, Kearney PM, Reynolds K, Chen J, He J: Global disparities of hypertension prevalence and control: a systematic analysis of population-based studies from 90 countries. Circulation 2016, 134:441-450.
14. Raitakari OT, Juonala M, Kähönen M, Taittonen L, Laitinen T, Mäki-Torkko N, Järvisalo MJ, Uhari M, Jokinen E, Rönnemaa T: Cardiovascular risk factors in childhood and carotid artery intima-media thickness in adulthood: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Jama 2003, 290:2277-2283.
15. Eising JB, van der Ent CK, van der Gugten AC, Evelein AM, Uiterwaal CS: The Association Between Lung Function And Blood Pressure Across Different Ages. In A103 HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH AND ADMINISTRATIVE DATABASES. American Thoracic Society; 2012: A2309-A2309
16. Noubiap JJ, Essouma M, Bigna JJ, Jingi AM, Aminde LN, Nansseu JR: Prevalence of elevated blood pressure in children and adolescents in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Public Health 2017, 2:e375-e386.
17. Akbari M, Moosazadeh M, Ghahramani S, Tabrizi R, Kolahdooz F, Asemi Z, Lankarani KB: High prevalence of hypertension among Iranian children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of hypertension 2017, 35:1155-1163.
18. Margretardottir OB, Thorleifsson SJ, Gudmundsson G, Olafsson I, Benediktsdottir B, Janson C, Buist AS, Gislason T: Hypertension, systemic inflammation and body weight in relation to lung function impairment—an epidemiological study. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2009, 6:250-255.
19. Dixon AE, Peters U: The effect of obesity on lung function. Expert review of respiratory medicine 2018, 12:755-767.
20. Feng K, Chen L, HAN SM, ZHU GJ: Ratio of waist circumference to chest circumference is inversely associated with lung function in Chinese children and adolescents. Respirology 2012, 17:1114-1118.
21. Yang M, Guo Y-M, Bloom MS, Dharmagee SC, Morawska L, Heinrich J, Jalaludin B, Markevychd I, Knibbsf LD, Lin S: Is PM1 similar to PM2. 5? A new insight into the association of PM1 and PM2. 5 with children’s lung function. Environment International 2020, 145:106092.
22. Dong G-H, Ren W-H, Wang D, Yang Z-H, Zhang P-F, Zhao Y-D, He Q-C: Exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke enhances respiratory symptoms and responses to animals in 8,819 children in kindergarten: results from 25 districts in northeast China. Respiration 2011, 81:179-185.
23. Hu L-W, Yang M, Chen S, Shah K, Hailegiorgis Y, Burgens R, Vaughn M, Huang J, Xaverius P, Paul G: Effects of in utero and postnatal exposure to secondhand smoke on lung function by gender and asthma status: the Seven Northeastern Cities (SNEC) Study. Respiration 2017, 93:189-197.
24. Zeng X-W, Vivian E, Mohammed KA, Jakhar S, Vaughn M, Huang J, Zelicoff A, Xaverius P, Bai Z, Lin S: Long-term ambient air pollution and lung function impairment in Chinese children from a high air pollution range area: The Seven Northeastern Cities (SNEC) study. Atmospheric Environment 2016, 138:144-151.
25. Dong G-H, Qian ZM, Trevathan E, Zeng X-W, Vaughn MG, Wang J, Zhao Y, Liu Y-Q, Ren W-H, Qin X-D: Air pollution associated hypertension and increased blood pressure may be reduced by breastfeeding in Chinese children: the Seven Northeastern Cities Chinese Children's Study. International journal of cardiology 2014, 176:956-961.
26. McNiece KL, Poffenbarger TS, Turner JL, Franco KD, Sorof JM, Portman RJ: Prevalence of hypertension and pre-hypertension among adolescents. The Journal of pediatrics 2007, 150:640-644. e641.
27. Ma Y-N, Wang J, Dong G-H, Liu M-M, Wang D, Liu Y-Q, Zhao Y, Ren W-H, Lee YL, Zhao Y-D: Predictive equations using regression analysis of pulmonary function for healthy children in Northeast China. PloS one 2013, 8:e63875.
28. Sorof JM, Lai D, Turner J, Poffenbarger T, Portman RJ: Overweight, ethnicity, and the prevalence of hypertension in school-aged children. Pediatrics 2004, 113:475-482.
29. Chen YS, Li XQ, Li HR, Yu XL, Lu FF, Huang LP, Miao Y, Wang GQ, Lin X, Lian SQ: Spirometric prediction equations and the relationship between metabolic syndrome and spirometric parameters from an island in F ujian, C hina. The clinical respiratory journal 2017, 11:514-523.
30. Schnabel E, Karrasch S, Schulz H, Gläser S, Meisinger C, Heier M, Peters A, Wichmann H-E, Behr J, Huber RM: High blood pressure, antihypertensive medication and lung function in a general adult population. Respiratory research 2011, 12:1-8.
31. Schnabel E, Nowak D, Brasche S, Wichmann H-E, Heinrich J: Association between lung function, hypertension and blood pressure medication. Respiratory medicine 2011, 105:727-733.
32. Lee HY, Yang HK, Song HJ, Chang HJ, Kang JY, Lee SH, Han S, Kim YK: Metabolic health is more closely associated with decrease in lung function than obesity. PloS one 2019, 14:e0209575.
33. van Albada ME, Schoemaker RG, Kemna M, Cromme-Dijkhuis AH, van Veghel R, Berger RM: The role of increased pulmonary blood flow in pulmonary arterial hypertension. European Respiratory Journal 2005, 26:487-493.
34. Sakhamuri S, Lutchmansingh F, Simeon D, Conyette L, Burney P, Seemungal T: Reduced forced vital capacity is independently associated with ethnicity, metabolic factors and respiratory symptoms in a Caribbean population: a cross-sectional study. BMC pulmonary medicine 2019, 19:1-13.
35. McEniery CM, Yasmin, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Sharman JE, Retallick C, Franklin SS, Brown MJ, Lloyd RC: Increased stroke volume and aortic stiffness contribute to isolated systolic hypertension in young adults. Hypertension 2005, 46:221-226.
36. Guyton AC, Hall JE: Medical physiology. Gökhan N, Çavuşoğlu H (Çeviren) 2006, 3.
37. Hislop AA: Airway and blood vessel interaction during lung development. Journal of anatomy 2002, 201:325-334.
38. Kotecha S: Lung growth for beginners. Paediatric respiratory reviews 2000, 1:308-313.
39. Maia LdA, Cruz FF, de Oliveira MV, Samary CS, Fernandes MVdS, Trivelin SdA, Rocha NdN, Gama de Abreu M, Pelosi P, Silva PL: Effects of obesity on pulmonary inflammation and remodeling in experimental moderate acute lung injury. Frontiers in immunology 2019, 10:1215.
40. Watterberg KL, Demers LM, Scott SM, Murphy S: Chorioamnionitis and early lung inflammation in infants in whom bronchopulmonary dysplasia develops. Pediatrics 1996, 97:210-215.