1. Maenner MJ, Shaw KA, Baio J, et al. Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorder Among Children Aged 8 Years - Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 11 Sites, United States, 2016. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2020;69(4):1-12.
2. Autism Spectrum Disorders in the European Union (ASDEU). 2018.
3. Dawson G, Rogers S, Munson J, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of an intervention for toddlers with autism: the Early Start Denver Model. Pediatrics. 2010;125(1):e17-23.
4. Green J, Charman T, McConachie H, et al. Parent-mediated communication-focused treatment in children with autism (PACT): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2010;375(9732):2152-2160.
5. de Schipper E, Lundequist A, Coghill D, et al. Ability and Disability in Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Systematic Literature Review Employing the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health-Children and Youth Version. Autism Res. 2015;8(6):782-794.
6. Simonoff E, Pickles A, Charman T, Chandler S, Loucas T, Baird G. Psychiatric disorders in children with autism spectrum disorders: prevalence, comorbidity, and associated factors in a population-derived sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008;47(8):921-929.
7. van 't Hof M, Tisseur C, van Berckelear-Onnes I, et al. Age at autism spectrum disorder diagnosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis from 2012 to 2019. Autism. 2021;25(4):862-873.
8. Shonkoff JP, Phillips DA. From Neurons to Neighborhoods: The Science of Early Childhood Development. In: Development NRCUaIoMUCoItSoEC, ed. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2000.
9. Hyman SL, Levy SE, Myers SM, Council On Children With Disabilities SOD, Behavioral P. Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Pediatrics. 2020;145(1).
10. Pickles A, Le Couteur A, Leadbitter K, et al. Parent-mediated social communication therapy for young children with autism (PACT): long-term follow-up of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016;388(10059):2501-2509.
11. Sinai-Gavrilov Y, Gev T, Mor-Snir I, Vivanti G, Golan O. Integrating the Early Start Denver Model into Israeli community autism spectrum disorder preschools: Effectiveness and treatment response predictors. Autism. 2020;24(8):2081-2093.
12. Frazier TW, Coury DL, Sohl K, et al. Evidence-based use of scalable biomarkers to increase diagnostic efficiency and decrease the lifetime costs of autism. Autism Res. 2021;14(6):1271-1283.
13. Branca M. Slivers of the spectrum. Nat Biotechnol. 2021;39(5):540-545.
14. Sanders AP, Claus Henn B, Wright RO. Perinatal and Childhood Exposure to Cadmium, Manganese, and Metal Mixtures and Effects on Cognition and Behavior: A Review of Recent Literature. Current Environmental Health Reports. 2015;2(3):284-294.
15. von Stackelberg K, Guzy E, Chu T, Claus Henn B. Exposure to Mixtures of Metals and Neurodevelopmental Outcomes: A Multidisciplinary Review Using an Adverse Outcome Pathway Framework. Risk Anal. 2015;35(6):971-1016.
16. Grandjean P, Landrigan PJ. Developmental neurotoxicity of industrial chemicals. The Lancet. 2006;368(9553):2167-2178.
17. Modabbernia A, Arora M, Reichenberg A. Environmental exposure to metals, neurodevelopment, and psychosis. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2016;28(2):243-249.
18. Grabrucker AM. Environmental factors in autism. Front Psychiatry. 2012;3:118.
19. Ha HTT, Leal-Ortiz S, Lalwani K, et al. Shank and Zinc Mediate an AMPA Receptor Subunit Switch in Developing Neurons. Front Mol Neurosci. 2018;11:405.
20. Shih PY, Hsieh BY, Lin MH, et al. CTTNBP2 Controls Synaptic Expression of Zinc-Related Autism-Associated Proteins and Regulates Synapse Formation and Autism-like Behaviors. Cell Rep. 2020;31(9):107700.
21. Austin C, Curtin P, Curtin A, et al. Dynamical properties of elemental metabolism distinguish attention deficit hyperactivity disorder from autism spectrum disorder. Translational psychiatry. 2019;9(1):238.
22. Curtin P, Austin C, Curtin A, et al. Dynamical features in fetal and postnatal zinc-copper metabolic cycles predict the emergence of autism spectrum disorder. Sci Adv. 2018;4(5):eaat1293.
23. Robbins CR. Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair. fifth ed: Springer; 2012.
24. Curtin P, Curtin A, Austin C, et al. Recurrence quantification analysis to characterize cyclical components of environmental elemental exposures during fetal and postnatal development. PLoS One. 2017;12(11):e0187049.
25. Arora M, Reichenberg A, Willfors C, et al. Fetal and postnatal metal dysregulation in autism. Nat Commun. 2017;8:15493.
26. Curtin P, Austin C, Curtin A, et al. Dynamical features in fetal and postnatal zinc-copper metabolic cycles predict the emergence of autism spectrum disorder. Sci Adv. 2018;4(5):eaat1293.
27. Grabrucker AM. A role for synaptic zinc in ProSAP/Shank PSD scaffold malformation in autism spectrum disorders. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74(2):136-146.
28. Grabrucker S, Jannetti L, Eckert M, et al. Zinc deficiency dysregulates the synaptic ProSAP/Shank scaffold and might contribute to autism spectrum disorders. Brain. 2014;137(Pt 1):137-152.
29. Hansen SN, Schendel DE, Francis RW, et al. Recurrence Risk of Autism in Siblings and Cousins: A Multinational, Population-Based Study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2019;58(9):866-875.
30. Pugsley K, Scherer SW, Bellgrove MA, Hawi Z. Environmental exposures associated with elevated risk for autism spectrum disorder may augment the burden of deleterious de novo mutations among probands. Mol Psychiatry. 2021.
31. Rao PA, Landa RJ. Association between severity of behavioral phenotype and comorbid attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in children with autism spectrum disorders. Autism. 2014;18(3):272-280.
32. Sandin S, Schendel D, Magnusson P, et al. Autism risk associated with parental age and with increasing difference in age between the parents. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21(5):693-700.
33. Sandin S, Hultman CM, Kolevzon A, Gross R, MacCabe JH, Reichenberg A. Advancing maternal age is associated with increasing risk for autism: a review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012;51(5):477-486.e471.
34. Matson JL, Mahan S, Kozlowski AM, Shoemaker M. Developmental milestones in toddlers with autistic disorder, pervasive developmental disorder--not otherwise specified and atypical development. Dev Neurorehabil. 2010;13(4):239-247.
35. Petrocchi S, Levante A, Lecciso F. Systematic Review of Level 1 and Level 2 Screening Tools for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Toddlers. Brain Sci. 2020;10(3).
36. Michikawa T, Nitta H, Nakayama SF, et al. Baseline Profile of Participants in the Japan Environment and Children's Study (JECS). J Epidemiol. 2018;28(2):99-104.
37. Kawamoto T, Nitta H, Murata K, et al. Rationale and study design of the Japan environment and children's study (JECS). BMC Public Health. 2014;14:25.
38. Bolte S, Willfors C, Berggren S, et al. The Roots of Autism and ADHD Twin Study in Sweden (RATSS). Twin Res Hum Genet. 2014;17(3):164-176.
39. Anckarsater H, Lundstrom S, Kollberg L, et al. The Child and Adolescent Twin Study in Sweden (CATSS). Twin Res Hum Genet. 2011;14(6):495-508.
40. Lichtenstein P, De Faire U, Floderus B, Svartengren M, Svedberg P, Pedersen NL. The Swedish Twin Registry: a unique resource for clinical, epidemiological and genetic studies. J Intern Med. 2002;252(3):184-205.
41. Pedersen NL, Lichtenstein P, Svedberg P. The Swedish Twin Registry in the third millennium. Twin Res. 2002;5(5):427-432.
42. Purcell S, Neale B, Todd-Brown K, et al. PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;81(3):559-575.
43. Siper PM, Kolevzon A, Wang AT, Buxbaum JD, Tavassoli T. A clinician-administered observation and corresponding caregiver interview capturing DSM-5 sensory reactivity symptoms in children with ASD. Autism Research. 2017;10(6):1133-1140.
44. Webber CL, Zbilut JP. Dynamical Assessment of Physiological Systems and States Using Recurrence Plot Strategies. J Appl Physiol. 1994;76(2):965-973.
45. Marwan N, Romano MC, Thiel M, Kurths J. Recurrence plots for the analysis of complex systems. Phys Rep. 2007;438(5-6):237-329.
46. Curtin P, Austin C, Curtin A, et al. Dysregulated biodynamics in metabolic attractor systems precede the emergence of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. PLoS Comput Biol. 2020;16(4):e1007773.
47. Curtin P, Curtin A, Austin C, et al. Recurrence quantification analysis to characterize cyclical components of environmental elemental exposures during fetal and postnatal development. PLoS One. 2017;12(11):e0187049.
48. Zbilut JP, Giuliani A, Webber CL. Recurrence quantification analysis and principal components in the detection of short complex signals. Phys Lett A. 1998;237(3):131-135.
49. Curtin P, Austin C, Curtin A, et al. Dynamical features in fetal and postnatal zinc-copper metabolic cycles predict the emergence of autism spectrum disorder. Science Advances. 2018;4(5):eaat1293.
50. Zhang Y, Parmigiani G, Johnson WE. ComBat-seq: batch effect adjustment for RNA-seq count data. NAR Genom Bioinform. 2020;2(3):lqaa078.
51. Chen T, Guestrin C. XGBoost: A Scalable Tree Boosting System. Paper presented at: KDD '16: Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining; August, 2016; San Francisco, USA.
52. Datseris G. DynamicalSystems.jl: A Julia software library for chaos and nonlinear dynamics. Journal of Open Source Software. 2018;3(23):598.