1. Andersen PK, Vaeth M. Simple parametric and nonparametric models for excess and relative mortality. Biometrics. 1989;45(2):523-535.
2. Andersson GB, Lereim P, Galante JO, Rostoker W. Segmental replacement of the femur in baboons with fiber metal implants and autologous bone grafts of different particle size. Acta orthopaedica Scandinavica. 1982;53(3):349-354.
3. Brewster DH, Stockton DL, Reekie A, Ashcroft GP, Howie CR, Porter DE, Black RJ. Risk of cancer following primary total hip replacement or primary resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip: a retrospective cohort study in Scotland. British journal of cancer. 2013;108(9):1883-1890.
4. Cancer Registry of Norway. Cancer in Norway 2012 - Cancer incidence, mortality, survival and prevalence in Norway, Oslo. 2013.
5. Chen PQ, Turner TM, Ronnigen H, Galante J, Urban R, Rostoker W. A canine cementless total hip prosthesis model. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1983(176):24-33.
6. Cook SD, Thomas KA, Haddad RJ, Jr. Histologic analysis of retrieved human porous-coated total joint components. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1988(234):90-101.
7. Espehaug B, Furnes O, Havelin LI, Engesaeter LB, Vollset SE, Kindseth O. Registration completeness in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop. 2006;77(1):49-56.
8. Frisken KW, Dandie GW, Lugowski S, Jordan G. A study of titanium release into body organs following the insertion of single threaded screw implants into the mandibles of sheep. Australian dental journal. 2002;47(3):214-217.
9. Furnes O, Lie SA, Espehaug B, Vollset SE, Engesaeter LB, Havelin LI. Hip disease and the prognosis of total hip replacements. A review of 53,698 primary total hip replacements reported to the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register 1987-99. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume. 2001;83(4):579-586.
10. Gillespie WJ, Frampton CM, Henderson RJ, Ryan PM. The incidence of cancer following total hip replacement. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume. 1988;70(4):539-542.
11. Goldacre MJ, Wotton CJ, Seagroatt V, Yeates D. Cancer following hip and knee arthroplasty: record linkage study. British journal of cancer. 2005;92(7):1298-1301.
12. Grosse S, Haugland HK, Lilleng P, Ellison P, Hallan G, Hol PJ. Wear particles and ions from cemented and uncemented titanium-based hip prostheses-A histological and chemical analysis of retrieval material. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part B, Applied biomaterials. 2014.
13. Hallan G, Dybvik E, Furnes O, Havelin LI. Metal-backed acetabular components with conventional polyethylene: a review of 9113 primary components with a follow-up of 20 years. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume. 2010;92(2):196-201.
14. Hallan G, Lie SA, Furnes O, Engesaeter LB, Vollset SE, Havelin LI. Medium- and long-term performance of 11,516 uncemented primary femoral stems from the Norwegian arthroplasty register. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume. 2007;89(12):1574-1580.
15. Hallan G, Lie SA, Havelin LI. High wear rates and extensive osteolysis in 3 types of uncemented total hip arthroplasty: a review of the PCA, the Harris Galante and the Profile/Tri-Lock Plus arthroplasties with a minimum of 12 years median follow-up in 96 hips. Acta orthopaedica. 2006;77(4):575-584.
16. Havelin LI, Engesaeter LB, Espehaug B, Furnes O, Lie SA, Vollset SE. The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register: 11 years and 73,000 arthroplasties. Acta orthopaedica Scandinavica. 2000;71(4):337-353.
17. Havelin LI, Furnes O, Engesæter LB, Fenstad AM, Bartz-Johannessen C, Dybvik E, Fjeldsgaard K, Gundersen T. Norwegian National Advisory Unit on Arthroplasty and Hip Fractures. Annual report 2016. ISBN: 978-82-91847-21-4. ISSN: 1893-8914. 2016.
18. Keel SB, Jaffe KA, Petur Nielsen G, Rosenberg AE. Orthopaedic implant-related sarcoma: a study of twelve cases. Modern pathology : an official journal of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc. 2001;14(10):969-977.
19. Larsen IK, Smastuen M, Johannesen TB, Langmark F, Parkin DM, Bray F, Moller B. Data quality at the Cancer Registry of Norway: an overview of comparability, completeness, validity and timeliness. European journal of cancer. 2009;45(7):1218-1231.
20. Levine BR, Hsu AR, Skipor AK, Hallab NJ, Paprosky WG, Galante JO, Jacobs JJ. Ten-year outcome of serum metal ion levels after primary total hip arthroplasty: a concise follow-up of a previous report. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume. 2013;95(6):512-518.
21. Lidgren L. Chronic inflammation, joint replacement and malignant lymphoma. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume. 2008;90(1):7-10.
22. Lie SA, Engesaeter LB, Havelin LI, Gjessing HK, Vollset SE. Mortality after total hip replacement: 0-10-year follow-up of 39,543 patients in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register. Acta orthopaedica Scandinavica. 2000;71(1):19-27.
23. Lie SA, Lie RT, Svanes C. Expected survival compared with survival of peptic ulcer patients. Statistics in medicine. 1998;17(11):1189-1199.
24. Mabilleau G, Kwon YM, Pandit H, Murray DW, Sabokbar A. Metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty: a review of periprosthetic biological reactions. Acta orthopaedica. 2008;79(6):734-747.
25. Makela KT, Visuri T, Pulkkinen P, Eskelinen A, Remes V, Virolainen P, Junnila M, Pukkala E. Cancer incidence and cause-specific mortality in patients with metal-on-metal hip replacements in Finland. Acta orthopaedica. 2014;85(1):32-38.
26. Makela KT, Visuri T, Pulkkinen P, Eskelinen A, Remes V, Virolainen P, Junnila M, Pukkala E. Risk of cancer with metal-on-metal hip replacements: population based study. Bmj. 2012;345:e4646.
27. Meyskens F, Jr. Cancer following total joint arthroplasty. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology. 2007;16(2):356.
28. Nyren O, McLaughlin JK, Gridley G, Ekbom A, Johnell O, Fraumeni JF, Jr., Adami HO. Cancer risk after hip replacement with metal implants: a population-based cohort study in Sweden. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1995;87(1):28-33.
29. Onega T, Baron J, MacKenzie T. Cancer after total joint arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology. 2006;15(8):1532-1537.
30. Paavolainen P, Pukkala E, Pulkkinen P, Visuri T. Cancer incidence in Finnish hip replacement patients from 1980 to 1995: a nationwide cohort study involving 31,651 patients. The Journal of arthroplasty. 1999;14(3):272-280.
31. Paavolainen P, Pukkala E, Pulkkinen P, Visuri T. Causes of death after total hip arthroplasty: a nationwide cohort study with 24,638 patients. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2002;17(3):274-281.
32. Rosengren BE. Metal-on-metal hip implants and the risk of cancer. Bmj. 2012;345:e4605.
33. Schemper M, Smith TL. A note on quantifying follow-up in studies of failure time. Controlled clinical trials. 1996;17(4):343-346.
34. Smith AJ, Dieppe P, Porter M, Blom AW. Risk of cancer in first seven years after metal-on-metal hip replacement compared with other bearings and general population: linkage study between the National Joint Registry of England and Wales and hospital episode statistics. Bmj. 2012;344:e2383.
35. Solheim O, Gershenson DM, Trope CG, Rokkones E, Sun CC, Weedon-Fekjaer H, Fossa SD. Prognostic factors in malignant ovarian germ cell tumours (The surveillance, epidemiology and end results experience 1978-2010). European journal of cancer. 2014;50(11):1942-1950.
36. Travis LB, Fossa SD, Schonfeld SJ, McMaster ML, Lynch CF, Storm H, Hall P, Holowaty E, Andersen A, Pukkala E, Andersson M, Kaijser M, Gospodarowicz M, Joensuu T, Cohen RJ, Boice JD, Jr., Dores GM, Gilbert ES. Second cancers among 40,576 testicular cancer patients: focus on long-term survivors. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2005;97(18):1354-1365.
37. Visuri T, Pukkala E, Paavolainen P, Pulkkinen P, Riska EB. Cancer risk after metal on metal and polyethylene on metal total hip arthroplasty. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1996(329 Suppl):S280-289.
38. Visuri T, Pukkala E, Pulkkinen P, Paavolainen P. Decreased cancer risk in patients who have been operated on with total hip and knee arthroplasty for primary osteoarthrosis: a meta-analysis of 6 Nordic cohorts with 73,000 patients. Acta orthopaedica Scandinavica. 2003;74(3):351-360.
39. Visuri T, Pulkkinen P, Paavolainen P, Pukkala E. Cancer risk is not increased after conventional hip arthroplasty. Acta orthopaedica. 2010;81(1):77-81.
40. Wagner P, Olsson H, Lidgren L, Robertsson O, Ranstam J. Increased cancer risks among arthroplasty patients: 30 year follow-up of the Swedish Knee Arthroplasty Register. European journal of cancer. 2011;47(7):1061-1071.
41. Williams DF. Carcinogenicity of implantable materials: experimental and epidemiological evidence. International urogynecology journal. 2014;25(5):577-580.