1. Treede RD, Jensen TS, Campbell JN, Cruccu G, Dostrovsky JO, Griffin JW, et al. Neuropathic pain: Redefinition and a grading system for clinical and research purposes. Neurology. 2008;70:1630–5.
2. Treede RD, Rief W, Barke A, Aziz Q, Bennett MI, Benoliel R, et al. Chronic pain as a symptom or a disease: The IASP Classification of Chronic Pain for the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11). Pain. 2019;160:19–27.
3. Torrance N, Lawson KD, Afolabi E, Bennett MI, Serpell MG, Dunn KM, et al. Estimating the burden of disease in chronic pain with and without neuropathic characteristics: Does the choice between the EQ-5D and SF-6D matter? Pain. 2014;155:1996–2004.
4. Van Hecke O, Austin SK, Khan RA, Smith BH, Torrance N. Neuropathic pain in the general population: A systematic review of epidemiological studies. Pain. 2014;155:654–62.
5. Tölle T, Xu X, Sadosky AB. Painful diabetic neuropathy: A cross-sectional survey of health state impairment and treatment patterns. J Diabetes Complications. 2006;20:26–33.
6. Gylfadottir SS, Christensen DH, Nicolaisen SK, Andersen H, Callaghan BC, Itani M, et al. Diabetic polyneuropathy and pain, prevalence, and patient characteristics: a cross-sectional questionnaire study of 5,514 patients with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Pain. 2020;161:574–83.
7. Finnerup NB, Attal N, Haroutounian S, McNicol E, Baron R, Dworkin RH, et al. Pharmacotherapy for neuropathic pain in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Neurol. 2015;14:162–73.
8. Veluchamy A, Hébert HL, Meng W, Palmer CNA, Smith BH. Systematic review and meta-analysis of genetic risk factors for neuropathic pain. Pain. 2018;159:825–48.
9. Smith BH, Torrance N, Bennett MI, Lee AJ. Health and quality of life associated with chronic pain of predominantly neuropathic origin in the community. Clin J Pain. 2007;23:143–9.
10. Momi SK, Fabiane SM, Lachance G, Livshits G, Williams FMK. Neuropathic pain as part of chronic widespread pain: Environmental and genetic influences. Pain. 2015;156:2100–6.
11. Gore M, Brandenburg NA, Dukes E, Hoffman DL, Tai KS, Stacey B. Pain severity in diabetic peripheral neuropathy is associated with patient functioning, symptom levels of anxiety and depression, and sleep. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2005;30:374–85.
12. Van Acker K, Bouhassira D, De Bacquer D, Weiss S, Matthys K, Raemen H, et al. Prevalence and impact on quality of life of peripheral neuropathy with or without neuropathic pain in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients attending hospital outpatients clinics. Diabetes Metab. 2009;35:206–13.
13. Abbott CA, Malik RA, Van Ross ERE, Kulkarni J, Boulton AJM. Prevalence and characteristics of painful diabetic neuropathy in a large community-based diabetic population in the U.K. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:2220–4.
14. Smith BH, Hébert HL, Veluchamy A. Neuropathic pain in the community: prevalence, impact, and risk factors. Pain. 2020;161:S127–37.
15. Steyerberg EW, Vergouwe Y. Towards better clinical prediction models: Seven steps for development and an ABCD for validation. Eur Heart J. 2014;35:1925–31.
16. Collins GS, Reitsma JB, Altman DG, Moons KGM. Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (TRIPOD): The tripod statement. J Clin Epidemiol. 2015;68:112–21.
17. Pascal MMV, Themistocleous AC, Baron R, Binder A, Bouhassira D, Crombez G, et al. DOLORisk: Study protocol for a multi-centre observational study to understand the risk factors and determinants of neuropathic pain [version 2; referees: 2 approved]. Wellcome Open Res. 2019;3:63.
18. Hébert HL, Veluchamy A, Baskozos G, Fardo F, Van Ryckeghem DML, Pascal MM V., et al. Cohort profile: DOLORisk Dundee: a longitudinal study of chronic neuropathic pain. BMJ Open. 2021;11:e042887.
19. Smith BH, Campbell H, Blackwood D, Connell J, Connor M, Deary IJ, et al. Generation Scotland: The Scottish Family Health Study; a new resource for researching genes and heritability. BMC Med Genet. 2006;7:74.
20. Smith BH, Campbell A, Linksted P, Fitzpatrick B, Jackson C, Kerr SM, et al. Cohort profile: Generation scotland: Scottish family health study (GS: SFHS). The study, its participants and their potential for genetic research on health and illness. Int J Epidemiol. 2013;42:689–700.
21. Hébert HL, Shepherd B, Milburn K, Veluchamy A, Meng W, Carr F, et al. Cohort profile: Genetics of Diabetes Audit and Research in Tayside Scotland (GoDARTS). Int J Epidemiol. 2018;47:380-381j.
22. EuroQol Group. EuroQol - a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy (New York). 1990;16:199–208.
23. Pilkonis PA, Choi SW, Reise SP, Stover AM, Riley WT, Cella D. Item banks for measuring emotional distress from the patient-reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS®): Depression, anxiety, and anger. Assessment. 2011;18:263–83.
24. Yu L, Buysse DJ, Germain A, Moul DE, Stover A, Dodds NE, et al. Development of Short Forms From the PROMISTM Sleep Disturbance and Sleep-Related Impairment Item Banks. Behav Sleep Med. 2011;10:6–24.
25. Gosling SD, Rentfrow PJ, Swann WB. A very brief measure of the Big-Five personality domains. J Res Pers. 2003;37:504–28.
26. Sullivan MJL, Bishop SR, Pivik J. The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: Development and Validation. Psychol Assess. 1995;7:524–32.
27. Purves AM, Penny KI, Munro C, Smith BH, Grimshaw J, Wilson B, et al. Defining chronic pain for epidemiological research: assessing a subjective definition. Pain Clin. 1998;10:139–47.
28. McIntosh AM, Hall LS, Zeng Y, Adams MJ, Gibson J, Wigmore E, et al. Genetic and Environmental Risk for Chronic Pain and the Contribution of Risk Variants for Major Depressive Disorder: A Family-Based Mixed-Model Analysis. PLoS Med. 2016;13:e1002090.
29. Bouhassira D, Attal N, Alchaar H, Boureau F, Brochet B, Bruxelle J, et al. Comparison of pain syndromes associated with nervous or somatic lesions and development of a new neuropathic pain diagnostic questionnaire (DN4). Pain. 2005;114:29–36.
30. Hébert HL, Veluchamy A, Torrance N, Smith BH. Risk factors for neuropathic pain in diabetes mellitus. Pain. 2017;158:560–8.
31. Calvo M, Davies AJ, Hébert HL, Weir GA, Chesler EJ, Finnerup NB, et al. The Genetics of Neuropathic Pain from Model Organisms to Clinical Application. Neuron. 2019;104:637–53.
32. Smith BH, Torrance N. Epidemiology of Neuropathic Pain and Its Impact on Quality of Life. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2012;16:191–8.
33. The Scottish Government. Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation 2020 [Internet]. 2020. Available from: https://www.gov.scot/collections/scottish-index-of-multiple-deprivation-2020/
34. Kuhn M, Johnson K. Applied predictive modeling. Appl. Predict. Model. Springer New York; 2013.
35. Courvoisier DS, Combescure C, Agoritsas T, Gayet-Ageron A, Perneger T V. Performance of logistic regression modeling: Beyond the number of events per variable, the role of data structure. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011;64:993–1000.
36. Peduzzi P, Concato J, Kemper E, Holford TR, Feinstem AR. A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis. J Clin Epidemiol. 1996;49:1373–9.
37. Vittinghoff E, McCulloch CE. Relaxing the rule of ten events per variable in logistic and cox regression. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;165:710–8.
38. White IR, Royston P, Wood AM. Multiple imputation using chained equations: Issues and guidance for practice. Stat Med. 2011;30:377–99.
39. Rubin DB. Multiple Imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys. Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1987.
40. Zuur AF, Ieno EN, Elphick CS. A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems. Methods Ecol Evol. 2010;1:3–14.
41. Steyerberg EW, Vickers AJ, Cook NR, Gerds T, Gonen M, Obuchowski N, et al. Assessing the performance of prediction models: A framework for traditional and novel measures. Epidemiology. 2010;21:128–38.
42. Steyerberg EW. Clinical Prediction Models. New York, NY: Springer New York; 2009.
43. Šimundić A-M. Measures of Diagnostic Accuracy: Basic Definitions. EJIFCC. 2009;19:203–11.
44. Saito T, Rehmsmeier M. The precision-recall plot is more informative than the ROC plot when evaluating binary classifiers on imbalanced datasets. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0118432.
45. Vickers AJ, Elkin EB. Decision curve analysis: A novel method for evaluating prediction models. Med Decis Mak. 2006;26:565–74.
46. R Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna; 2020. Available from: https://www.r-project.org/
47. van Buuren S, Groothuis-Oudshoorn K. mice: Multivariate imputation by chained equations in R. J Stat Softw. 2011;45:1–67.
48. Márcia Barbosa A, Real R, Muñoz AR, Brown JA. New measures for assessing model equilibrium and prediction mismatch in species distribution models. Divers Distrib. 2013;19:1333–8.
49. Grau J, Grosse I, Keilwagen J. PRROC: Computing and visualizing Precision-recall and receiver operating characteristic curves in R. Bioinformatics. 2015;31:2595–7.
50. Keilwagen J, Grosse I, Grau J. Area under precision-recall curves for weighted and unweighted data. PLoS One. 2014;9:e92209.
51. Brown M. rmda: Risk Model Decision Analysis. 2018. Available from: https://cran.r-project.org/package=rmda
52. Stocks J, Tang NK, Walsh DA, Warner SC, Harvey HL, Jenkins W, et al. Bidirectional association between disturbed sleep and neuropathic pain symptoms: a prospective cohort study in post-total joint replacement participants What did the researchers do and find? J Pain Res. 2018;11:1087–93.
53. Malvar J, Vaida F, Sanders CF, Atkinson JH, Bohannon W, Keltner J, et al. Predictors of new-onset distal neuropathic pain in HIV-infected individuals in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy. Pain. 2015;156:731–9.
54. Bouhassira D, Chassany O, Gaillat J, Hanslik T, Launay O, Mann C, et al. Patient perspective on herpes zoster and its complications: An observational prospective study in patients aged over 50 years in general practice. Pain. 2012;153:342–9.
55. Parruti G, Tontodonati M, Rebuzzi C, Polilli E, Sozio F, Consorte A, et al. Predictors of pain intensity and persistence in a prospective Italian cohort of patients with herpes zoster: Relevance of smoking, trauma and antiviral therapy. BMC Med. 2010;8:58.
56. Sudlow C, Gallacher J, Allen N, Beral V, Burton P, Danesh J, et al. UK Biobank: An Open Access Resource for Identifying the Causes of a Wide Range of Complex Diseases of Middle and Old Age. PLoS Med. 2015;12:e1001779.
57. Finnerup NB, Haroutounian S, Kamerman P, Baron R, Bennett DLH, Bouhassira D, et al. Neuropathic pain: An updated grading system for research and clinical practice. Pain. 2016;157:1599–606.
58. Torrance N, Smith BH, Bennett MI, Lee AJ. The epidemiology of chronic pain of predominantly neuropathic origin. Results from a general population survey. J Pain. 2006;7:281–9.
59. VanDenKerkhof EG, Mann EG, Torrance N, Smith BH, Johnson A, Gilron I. An Epidemiological Study of Neuropathic Pain Symptoms in Canadian Adults. Pain Res Manag. 2016;2016:9815750.
60. Traeger AC, Henschke N, Hübscher M, Williams CM, Kamper SJ, Maher CG, et al. Estimating the Risk of Chronic Pain: Development and Validation of a Prognostic Model (PICKUP) for Patients with Acute Low Back Pain. PLoS Med. 2016;13:e1002019.
61. Fernandes GS, Bhattacharya A, McWilliams DF, Ingham SL, Doherty M, Zhang W. Risk prediction model for knee pain in the Nottingham community: A Bayesian modelling approach. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:1–8.
62. Montes A, Roca G, Cantillo J, Sabate S. Presurgical risk model for chronic postsurgical pain based on 6 clinical predictors: A prospective external validation. Pain. 2020;161:2611–8.
63. Geneen LJ, Moore RA, Clarke C, Martin D, Colvin LA, Smith BH. Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: An overview of Cochrane Reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;1:CD011279.
64. Bouhassira D, Letanoux M, Hartemann A. Chronic Pain with Neuropathic Characteristics in Diabetic Patients: A French Cross-Sectional Study. PLoS One. 2013;8:e74195.
65. Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic neuropathy: Possible mechanisms and future treatment possibilities. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73:348–62.
66. Koop SMW, ten Klooster PM, Vonkeman HE, Steunebrink LMM, van de Laar MAFJ. Neuropathic-like pain features and cross-sectional associations in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015;17:237.
67. Solaro C, Cella M, Signori A, Martinelli V, Radaelli M, Centonze D, et al. Identifying neuropathic pain in patients with multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional multicenter study using highly specific criteria. J Neurol. 2018;265:828–35.
68. Ziegler D, Rathmann W, Meisinger C, Dickhaus T, Mielck A. Prevalence and risk factors of neuropathic pain in survivors of myocardial infarction with pre-diabetes and diabetes. The KORA Myocardial Infarction Registry. Eur J Pain. 2009;13:582–7.
69. Fernandes GS, Valdes AM, Walsh DA, Zhang W, Doherty M. Neuropathic-like knee pain and associated risk factors: A cross-sectional study in a UK community sample. Arthritis Res Ther. 2018;20:215.
70. Gasperi M, Herbert M, Schur E, Buchwald D, Afari N. Genetic and Environmental Influences on Sleep, Pain, and Depression Symptoms in a Community Sample of Twins. Psychosom Med. 2017;79:646–54.
71. Nelson S, Simons LE, Logan D. The Incidence of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and Their Association with Pain-related and Psychosocial Impairment in Youth with Chronic Pain. Clin J Pain. 2018;34:402–8.
72. Vinik A, Emir B, Parsons B, Cheung R. Prediction of pregabalin-mediated pain response by severity of sleep disturbance in patients with painful diabetic neuropathy and post-herpetic neuralgia. Pain Med. 2014;15:661–70.
73. Veluchamy A, Hébert HL, Van Zuydam NR, Pearson ER, Campbell A, Hayward C, et al. Association of Genetic Variant at Chromosome 12q23.1 With Neuropathic Pain Susceptibility. JAMA Netw Open. 2021;4:e2136560.