1. Young TK, Reading J, Elias B, O'Neil JD. Type 2 dabetes mellitus in Canada's First Nations: status of an epidemic in progress. CMAJ. 2000;163(5):561–6.
2. Dannenbaum D, Kuzmina E, Lejeune P, et al. Prevalence of diabetes-related complications in First Nations communities in Northern Quebec (Eeyou Istchee), Canada. Can J Diabetes. 2008;32:46–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1499-2671(08)21010-5.
3. Greenwood M, de Leeuw S, Lindsay NM, et al. Determinants of indigenous peoples’ health in Canada: beyond the social. Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press; 2015.
4. Harris SB, Nagshbandi M, Bhattacharyya O, Hanley AJ, Esler JG, Zinman B. Major gaps in diabetes clinical care among Canada’s First Nations: results of the CIRCLE study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011;92(2):272–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.02.006.
5. Adelson N. The embodiment of inequity: health disparities in Aboriginal Canada. Can J Public Health. 2005;96:45–61. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03403702.
6. King M, Smith A, Gracey M. Indigenous health part 2: the underlying causes of the health gap. Lancet. 2009;374:76–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(09)60872-8.
7. Marmot M, Friel S, Bell R, et al. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Lancet. 2008;372:1661–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(08)61690-6.
8. Browne AJ, Varcoe CM, Wong ST, et al. Closing the health equity gap: evidence based strategies for primary health care organizations. Int J Equity Health. 2012;11:59. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-9276-11-59.
9. Jacklin K, Ly A, Calam B, Green M, Walker L, Crowshoe L. An innovative Sequential Focus Group method for investigating diabetes care experiences with Indigenous peoples in Canada. Int J Qual Methods 2016;1–12. https://doi.org/10.1177/1609406916674965.
10. Jacklin KM, Henderson RI, Green ME, Walker LM, Calam B, Crowshoe LJ. Health care experiences of Indigenous people living with type 2 diabetes in Canada. CMAJ. 2017;189(3):E106–12. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.161098.
11. Crowshoe LL, Henderson RI, Green ME, Jacklin KM, Walker LM, Calam B. Exploring Canadian physicians’ experiences with diabetes care for Indigenous patients. Can J Diabetes. 2018;42(3):281–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2017.06.012.
12. Stewart AL, Hays RD, Ware JE. Methods of constructing health measures. In: Stewart AL, Ware JE, editors. Measuring functioning and well-being: the medical outcome study approach. Durham: Duke University Press; 1992. pp. 67–85.
13. Stewart AL, Napolies-Springer A, Perez-Stable EJ, et al. Interpersonal processes of care in diverse populations. Milbank Q. 1999;77(3):305–39.
14. Stewart AL, Napoles-Springer AM, Gregorich SE, Stantoyo-Olsson J. Interpersonal process of care survey: patient-reported measures for diverse groups. Health Serv Res. 2007;42(3):1235–56. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00637.x.
15. Blanchard J, Lurie N. “R-E-S-P-E-C-T”. Patient reports of disrespect in health care setting and its impact on care. J Fam Pract. 2004;53(9):721–30.
16. Hargraves JL, Hays RD, Cleary PD. Pcyhometric properties of the consumer assessment of health plans study (CAHPS) 2.0 Adult Core Survey. Health Serv Res. 2003;38(6):1509–27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2003.00190.x.
17. Gallagher TJ, Hartung PJ, Gregory SW Jr. Assessment of a measure of relational communication for doctor-patient interactions. Patient Educ Couns. 2001;45(3):211–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0738-3991(01)00126-4.
18. Safran DG, Kosinski M, Tarlov AR, Rogers WH, Taira DA, Lieberman N, Ware JE. The primary care assessment survey. Test of data quality and measurement performance. Med Care. 1998;36(5):728–39. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199805000-00012.
19. Flock SA. Measuring attributes of primary care: development of a new instrument. J Fam Pract. 1997;45(1):64–74.
20. Ramsay J, Campbell JL, Schroter S, Green J, Roland M. The General Practice Assessment Survey (GPAS): tests of data quality and measurement properties. Fam Pract. 2000;17:372–9. https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/17.5.372.
21. Glasgow RE, Toobert DJ, Barrera M Jr, Strycker LA. The Chronic Illness Resources Survey: cross-validation and sensitivity to intervention. Health Edu Res. 2005;20(4):402–9.
Wong ST, Haggerty J. Measuring patient experiences in primary health care: a review and classification of items and scales used in publicly-available questionnaires. University of British Columbia, BC; May 2013. http://chspr.ubc.ca
. Accessed 20 Jun 2017
26. Haggerty JL, Burge F, Beaulieu MD, Pineault R, Beaulieu C, Levesque JF, Santor D. Validation of instruments to evaluate primary healthcare from patient perspective: overview of the method. Healthcare Policy. 2011;7(special):31–49. https://doi.org/10.12927/hcpol.2011.22691.
27. Haggerty J, Roberge D, Freeman GK, Beaulieu C, Bréton M. Validation of a generic measure of continuity of care: when patients encounter several clinicians. Ann Fam Med. 2011;10(5):443–51. https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1378.
28. Haggerty J, Lévesque J-F, Santor DA, Burge F, Beaulieu C, Bouharaoui F, Beaulieu M-D, Pineault R. Accessibility from the patient perspective: comparison of primary healthcare evaluation instruments. Healthcare Policy. 2011;7(Special Issue):94–107. https://doi.org/10.12927/hcpol.2011.22635.
29. Haggerty J, Bouharaoui F, Santor D. Differential item functioning in primary healthcare evaluation instruments by French/ English version, educational level and urban/rural location. Healthcare Policy. 2011;7(Special):19. https://doi.org/10.12927/hcpol.2011.22692.
30. CIHI. Experience with primary Health care in Canada. 2009. https://secure.cihi.ca/estore/productSeries.htm?pc=PCC482. Accessed 28 Oct 2014.
31. CIHI. Measuring Patient Experiences in Primary Health Care Survey. https://www.cihi.ca/sites/default/files/info_phc_patient_en.pdf. Accessed 5 Jun 2014.
32. Crowshoe L, Henderson R, Jacklin K, Calam B, Walker L, Green ME. Educating for equity care framework: Addressing social barriers of Indigenous patients with type 2 diabetes. Can Fam Physician. 2019;65:25–33. https://www.cfp.ca/content/65/1/25.long.
33. Crowshoe L, Han H, Calam B, Henderson R, Jacklin K, Walker L, Green ME. Impacts of Educating for Equity workshop on addressing social barriers of type 2 diabetes with Indigenous patients. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2018;38(1):49–59. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEH.0000000000000188.
34. Costello AB, Osborne JW. Best practices in exploratory factor analysis: four recommendations for getting the most from your analysis. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation. 2005;10(7). http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=10&n=7. Accessed 20 Mar 2017.
35. Shi L, Starfield B, Xu J. Validating the adult primary care assessment tool. J Fam pract. 2001;50(2):161–175. https://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/johns-hopkins-primary-care-policy-center/PCAT%20pubs/Shi%202001.pdf. Accessed 22 Mar 2017.
36. Terwee CB, Bot SDM, de Boer MR, van der Windt DAWM, Knol DL, Dekker J, Bouter LM, de Vet HCW. Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007;60:34–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2006.03.012.
37. Fornell C, Larcker DF. Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. J Marketing Res 1981;39–50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104.
38. Hair JF, Anderson RE, Tatham RL, Black WC. Multivariate data analysis. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River: Prentice-Hall, Inc.; 1998.
39. Hair JF, Black WC, Babin BJ, Anderson RE, Tatham RL. Multivariate Data Analysis. 6th ed. Upper Saddle River: Prentice-Hall International, Inc.; 2006.
40. Trochim WM, Donnelly JP. (2006). The research methods knowledge base, 3rd ed. Cincinnati, OH: Atomic Dog; 2006.
41. Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. Calls to Action. 2015. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ac510114611a0bcce082fac/t/5b92b141f950b758a9a5b2f2/1536340329039/TRC+Calls+to+Action+Pocket+booklet+.pdf. Accessed 20 Dec 2018.
42. Richardson L, Murphy T Bringing reconciliation to healthcare in Canada. HealthCareCAN. April 2018. http://www.healthcarecan.ca/wp-content/themes/camyno/assets/document/Reports/2018/HCC/EN/TRCC_EN.pdf. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
43. Goodman A, Fleming K, Markwick N, Morrison T, Lagimodiere L, Kerr T. “They treated me like crap and I know it was because I was Native”: The healthcare experiences of Aboriginal people living in Vancouver’s inner city. Soc Sci Med. 2017;178:87–94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.01.053.
44. Davy C, Harfield S, McArthur A, Munn Z, Brown A. 2016. Access to primary health care services for Indigenous peoples: A framework synthesis. Int J Equity Health. 2016; 15:163. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-016-0450-5.
45. Green M, Anderson K, Griffiths K, Garvey G, Cunningham J. Understanding Indigenous Australians’ experiences of cancer care: stakeholders’ view on what to measure and how to measure it. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018;18:982. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-3780-8.