(1) Te Velde SJ, Lankhorst K, Zwinkels M, Verschuren O, Takken T, de Groot J, et al. Associations of sport participation with self-perception, exercise self-efficacy and quality of life among children and adolescents with a physical disability or chronic disease-a cross-sectional study. Sports Med Open 2018 Aug 15;4(1):38-018-0152-1.
(2) Haapala EA, Lankhorst K, de Groot J, Zwinkels M, Verschuren O, Wittink H, et al. The associations of cardiorespiratory fitness, adiposity and sports participation with arterial stiffness in youth with chronic diseases or physical disabilities. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2017 Jul;24(10):1102-1111.
(3) Khan KM, Thompson AM, Blair SN, Sallis JF, Powell KE, Bull FC, et al. Sport and exercise as contributors to the health of nations. Lancet 2012 Jul 7;380(9836):59-64.
(4) Lankhorst K, Takken T, Zwinkels M, van Gaalen L, Velde ST, Backx F, et al. Sports Participation, Physical Activity, and Health-Related Fitness in Youth With Chronic Diseases or Physical Disabilities: The Health in Adapted Youth Sports Study. J Strength Cond Res 2019 Mar 13.
(5) Janssen I, Leblanc AG. Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2010 May 11;7:40-5868-7-40.
(6) Ng K, Tynjala J, Sigmundova D, Augustine L, Sentenac M, Rintala P, et al. Physical Activity Among Adolescents With Long-Term Illnesses or Disabilities in 15 European Countries. Adapt Phys Activ Q 2017 Oct 06:1-10.
(7) Ng KW, Tynjala J, Rintala P, Kokko S, Kannas L. Do adolescents with long-term illnesses and disabilities have increased risks of sports related injuries? Inj Epidemiol 2017 Dec;4(1):13-017-0112-0. Epub 2017 May 1.
(8) Finch C, Cassell E. The public health impact of injury during sport and active recreation. J Sci Med Sport 2006 Dec;9(6):490-497.
(9) Emery CA. Risk factors for injury in child and adolescent sport: a systematic review of the literature. Clin J Sport Med 2003 Jul;13(4):256-268.
(10) Siesmaa EJ, Blitvich JD, Finch CF. A systematic review of the factors which are most influential in children's decisions to drop out of organised sport. In: Farelli AD, editor. Sport Participation: Health Benefits, Injuries and Psychological Effects: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2011.
(11) Siesmaa EJ, Blitvich JD, Telford A, Finch CF. Factors that are most influential in children's continued and discontinued participation in organized sport: The role of injury and injury risk perceptions. In: Farelli AD, editor. Sport Participation: Health Benefits, Injuries and Psychological Effects.: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2011. p. 47-84.
(12) Bloemers F, Collard D, Paw MC, Van Mechelen W, Twisk J, Verhagen E. Physical inactivity is a risk factor for physical activity-related injuries in children. Br J Sports Med 2012 Jul;46(9):669-674.
(13) Verhagen E, Collard D, Paw MC, van Mechelen W. A prospective cohort study on physical activity and sports-related injuries in 10-12-year-old children. Br J Sports Med 2009 Dec;43(13):1031-1035.
(14) Bloemen MA, Verschuren O, van Mechelen C, Borst HE, de Leeuw AJ, van der Hoef M, et al. Personal and environmental factors to consider when aiming to improve participation in physical activity in children with Spina Bifida: a qualitative study. BMC Neurol 2015 Feb 10;15:11-015-0265-9.
(15) Fagher K, Lexell J. Sports-related injuries in athletes with disabilities. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2014 Oct;24(5):e320-31.
(16) Blauwet CA, Cushman D, Emery C, Willick SE, Webborn N, Derman W, et al. Risk of Injuries in Paralympic Track and Field Differs by Impairment and Event Discipline: A Prospective Cohort Study at the London 2012 Paralympic Games. Am J Sports Med 2016 Jun;44(6):1455-1462.
(17) Shi X, Shi J, Wheeler KK, Stallones L, Ameratunga S, Shakespeare T, et al. Unintentional injuries in children with disabilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Inj Epidemiol 2015 Dec;2(1):21-015-0053-4. Epub 2015 Sep 15.
(18) van Mechelen W, Hlobil H, Kemper HC. Incidence, severity, aetiology and prevention of sports injuries. A review of concepts. Sports Med 1992 Aug;14(2):82-99.
(19) Lankhorst K, van der Ende-Kastelijn K, de Groot J, Zwinkels M, Verschuren O, Backx F, et al. Health in Adapted Youth Sports Study (HAYS): health effects of sports participation in children and adolescents with a chronic disease or physical disability. Springerplus 2015 Dec 22;4:796-015-1589-z. eCollection 2015.
(20) von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, Pocock SJ, Gotzsche PC, Vandenbroucke JP, et al. The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Int J Surg 2014 Dec;12(12):1495-1499.
(21) Durstine LJ, Moore GE, Painter P, Roberts S,O. ACSM's Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities. 3rd ed.: Human Kinetics; 2009.
(22) Hollander dEL, Milder IE, Proper KI. Beweeg- en sportgedrag van mensen met een chronische aandoening of lichamelijke beperking. 2015;RIVM rapport 2015-0064.
(23) Lankhorst K, van den Berg-Emons RJ, Bussmann JBJ, Horemans HLD, de Groot JF. A Novel Tool for Quantifying and Promoting Physical Activity in Youths With Typical Development and Youths Who Are Ambulatory and Have Motor Disability. Phys Ther 2019 Mar 1;99(3):354-363.
(24) Valkenburg H, van Nunen M, Ormel W, Vriend I. Handboek Epidemiologie Sportblessures. 2010;4.1.
(25) Timpka T, Alonso JM, Jacobsson J, Junge A, Branco P, Clarsen B, et al. Injury and illness definitions and data collection procedures for use in epidemiological studies in Athletics (track and field): consensus statement. Br J Sports Med 2014 Apr;48(7):483-490.
(26) Dompier TP, Powell JW, Barron MJ, Moore MT. Time-loss and non-time-loss injuries in youth football players. J Athl Train 2007 Jul-Sep;42(3):395-402.
(27) Murphy NA, Carbone PS, American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Children With Disabilities. Promoting the participation of children with disabilities in sports, recreation, and physical activities. Pediatrics 2008 May;121(5):1057-1061.
(28) Nauta J, Martin-Diener E, Martin BW, van Mechelen W, Verhagen E. Injury risk during different physical activity behaviours in children: a systematic review with bias assessment. Sports Med 2015 Mar;45(3):327-336.
(29) Ramirez Marizen M. Sports injuries to high school athletes with disabilities. Pediatrics 2009-2;123(2):690-6.
(30) Fagher K, Jacobsson J, Dahlstrom O, Timpka T, Lexell J. An eHealth Application of Self-Reported Sports-Related Injuries and Illnesses in Paralympic Sport: Pilot Feasibility and Usability Study. JMIR Hum Factors 2017 Nov 29;4(4):e30.
(31) Derman W, Schwellnus M, Jordaan E, Blauwet CA, Emery C, Pit-Grosheide P, et al. Illness and injury in athletes during the competition period at the London 2012 Paralympic Games: development and implementation of a web-based surveillance system (WEB-IISS) for team medical staff. Br J Sports Med 2013 May;47(7):420-425.
(32) Weiler R, Van Mechelen W, Fuller C, Verhagen E. Sport Injuries Sustained by Athletes with Disability: A Systematic Review. Sports Med 2016 Aug;46(8):1141-1153.
(33) Finch C. A new framework for research leading to sports injury prevention. J Sci Med Sport 2006 May;9(1-2):3-9; discussion 10.
(34) Lloyd RS, Cronin JB, Faigenbaum AD, Haff GG, Howard R, Kraemer WJ, et al. National Strength and Conditioning Association Position Statement on Long-Term Athletic Development. J Strength Cond Res 2016 Jun;30(6):1491-1509.