Introduction Knowledge of HIV status remains a challenge despite implementation of various testing strategies including provider-initiated HIV testing (PITC). Harare City intensified provider-initiated HIV testing by targeting testing all eligible clients visiting facilities to achieve the UNAIDS first 95. This study aimed at evaluating the intervention to improve its effectiveness and inform programming decisions for universal access to HIV testing.
Methods The study was conducted in Harare City from April to June 2019. Assessment of the intervention was conducted using the logic model approach. Health workers were interviewed using an interviewer administered questionnaire. Exit interviews were conducted for eligible clients >18 years who refused to be tested. HIV screening and testing registers were reviewed using a check list. Ethical approval was obtained from City of Harare and the University of Zimbabwe.
Results The median age for clients was 31 and median years in service for health workers was 2. Of the 133 899 clients who were eligible for testing after screening, 74% accepted the test leaving a gap of 26%. However, 47%(n=45) health workers indicated high workload in the morning as the major reason for the leakage. In addition, 36%(n=70) clients indicated long waiting time as the reason for opting out of HIV testing.
Conclusion and Recommendation HIV testing coverage for eligible clients was not optimal, 26% opted out. We recommend scaling of community education on the importance of HIV testing. Re-allocation of staff during busy testing time in the morning to easy workload.