1. Pivec R, Johnson AJ, Mears SC, Mont MA. Hip arthroplasty. The Lancet. 2012;380:1768–77.
2. Kurtz S, Ong K, Edmund L, Mowat F, Halpern M. Projections of Primary and Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:780.
3. Rodgers A, Walker N, Schug S, McKee A, Kehlet H, van Zundert A, et al. Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anaesthesia: results from overview of randomised trials. BMJ. 2000;321:1493.
4. Perlas A, Chan VWS, Beattie S. Anesthesia Technique and Mortality after Total Hip or Knee Arthroplasty: A Retrospective, Propensity Score–matched Cohort Study. Anesthesiology. 2016;125:724–31.
5. Hunt LP, Ben-Shlomo Y, Clark EM, Dieppe P, Judge A, MacGregor AJ, et al. 90-day mortality after 409 096 total hip replacements for osteoarthritis, from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales: a retrospective analysis. The Lancet. 2013;382:1097–104.
6. Guay J. The effect of neuraxial blocks on surgical blood loss and blood transfusion requirements: a meta-analysis. J Clin Anesth. 2006;18:124–8.
7. Haughom BD, Schairer WW, Nwachukwu BU, Hellman MD, Levine BR. Does Neuraxial Anesthesia Decrease Transfusion Rates Following Total Hip Arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2015;30:116–20.
8. Turan A, Bajracharya GR, Leung S, Yazici Kara M, Mao G, Botsford T, et al. Association of Neuraxial Anesthesia With Postoperative Venous Thromboembolism After Noncardiac Surgery: A Propensity-Matched Analysis of ACS-NSQIP Database. Anesth Analg. 2019;128:494–501.
9. Basques BA, Toy JO, Bohl DD, Golinvaux NS, Grauer JN. General Compared with Spinal Anesthesia for Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015;97:455–61.
10. WHO. Worldwide prevalence of anaemia 1993–2005: WHO global database on anaemia. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.
11. Sharrock NE, Cazan MG, Hargett MJL, Williams-Russo P, Wilson PD. Changes in Mortality After Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty over a Ten-Year Period. Anesth Analg. 1995;80:242–8.
12. Gonano C, Leitgeb U, Sitzwohl C, Ihra G, Weinstabl C, Kettner SC. Spinal Versus General Anesthesia for Orthopedic Surgery: Anesthesia Drug and Supply Costs. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:524–9.
13. Roche JJW, Wenn RT, Sahota O, Moran CG. Effect of comorbidities and postoperative complications on mortality after hip fracture in elderly people: prospective observational cohort study. BMJ. 2005;331:1374.
14. Chatterton BD, Moores TS, Ahmad S, Cattell A, Roberts PJ. Cause of death and factors associated with early in-hospital mortality after hip fracture. Bone Jt J. 2015;97-B:246–51.
15. Carow J, Carow JB, Coburn M, Kim B-S, Bücking B, Bliemel C, et al. Mortality and cardiorespiratory complications in trochanteric femoral fractures: a ten year retrospective analysis. Int Orthop. 2017;41:2371–80.
16. Helwani MA, Avidan MS, Ben Abdallah A, Kaiser DJ, Clohisy JC, Hall BL, et al. Effects of Regional Versus General Anesthesia on Outcomes After Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Retrospective Propensity-Matched Cohort Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015;97:186–93.
17. Stundner O, Chiu Y-L, Sun X, Mazumdar M, Fleischut P, Poultsides L, et al. Comparative Perioperative Outcomes Associated With Neuraxial Versus General Anesthesia for Simultaneous Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012;37:638–44.
18. Basilico FC, Sweeney G, Losina E, Gaydos J, Skoniecki D, Wright EA, et al. Risk factors for cardiovascular complications following total joint replacement surgery. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:1915–20.
19. Bohl DD, Saltzman BM, Sershon RA, Darrith B, Okroj KT, Della Valle CJ. Incidence, Risk Factors, and Clinical Implications of Pneumonia Following Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017;32:1991-1995.e1.
20. Vozoris NT, Wang X, Fischer HD, Bell CM, O’Donnell DE, Austin PC, et al. Incident opioid drug use and adverse respiratory outcomes among older adults with COPD. Eur Respir J. 2016;48:683–93.
21. Borghi B, Casati A, Iuorio S, Celleno D, Michael M, Serafini P, et al. Frequency of hypotension and bradycardia during general anesthesia, epidural anesthesia, or integrated epidural-general anesthesia for total hip replacement. J Clin Anesth. 2002;14:102–6.
22. Ma D, Sapsed-Byrne SM, Chakrabarti MK, Whitwam JG. Effect of sevoflurane on spontaneous sympathetic activity and baroreflexes in rabbits. Br J Anaesth. 1998;80:68–72.
23. Green DW. Cardiac output decrease and propofol: what is the mechanism? Br J Anaesth. 2015;114:163–4.
24. Cattai A, Rabozzi R, Ferasin H, Isola M, Franci P. Haemodynamic changes during propofol induction in dogs: new findings and approach of monitoring. BMC Vet Res. 2018;14:282.
25. Ebert TJ, Ficke DJ, Arain SR, Holtz MN, Shankar H. Vasodilation from Sufentanil in Humans. Anesth Analg. 2005;101:1677–80.
26. White DA, Reitan JA, Kien ND, Thorup SJ. Decrease in Vascular Resistance in the Isolated Canine Hindlimb After Graded Doses of Alfentanil, Fentanyl, and Sufentanil. Anesth Analg. 1990;71:29–34.
27. Paul JE, Ling E, Lalonde C, Thabane L. Deliberate hypotension in orthopedic surgery reduces blood loss and transfusion requirements: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Can J Anesth Can Anesth. 2007;54:799–810.
28. Memtsoudis SG, Sun X, Chiu Y-L, Stundner O, Liu SS, Banerjee S, et al. Perioperative Comparative Effectiveness of Anesthetic Technique in Orthopedic Patients: Anesthesiology. 2013;118:1046–58.
29. Pugely AJ, Martin CT, Gao Y, Mendoza-Lattes S, Callaghan JJ. Differences in Short-Term Complications Between Spinal and General Anesthesia for Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(3):193–9.
30. Memtsoudis SG, Sun X, Chiu Y-L, Stundner O, Liu SS, Banerjee S, et al. Perioperative Comparative Effectiveness of Anesthetic Technique in Orthopedic Patients. Anesthesiology. 118:1046–58.
31. Harsten A, Kehlet H, Ljung P, Toksvig-Larsen S. Total intravenous general anaesthesia vs. spinal anaesthesia for total hip arthroplasty: a randomised, controlled trial. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2015;59:298–309.
32. Molloy IB, Martin BI, Moschetti WE, Jevsevar DS. Effects of the Length of Stay on the Cost of Total Knee and Total Hip Arthroplasty from 2002 to 2013. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:402–7.
33. Memtsoudis SG, Rasul R, Suzuki S, Poeran J, Danninger T, Wu C, et al. Does the Impact of the Type of Anesthesia on Outcomes Differ by Patient Age and Comorbidity Burden? Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2014;39:112–9.
34. Memtsoudis SG, Sun X, Chiu Y-L, Nurok M, Stundner O, Pastores SM, et al. Utilization of Critical Care Services among Patients Undergoing Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty: Epidemiology and Risk Factors. Anesthesiology. 2012;117:107–16.
35. Patorno E, Neuman MD, Schneeweiss S, Mogun H, Bateman BT. Comparative safety of anesthetic type for hip fracture surgery in adults: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2014;348 jun27 1:g4022.
36. Johnson RL, Kopp SL, Burkle CM, Duncan CM, Jacob AK, Erwin PJ, et al. Neuraxial vs general anesthesia for total hip and total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review of comparative-effectiveness research. Br J Anaesth. 2016;116:163–76.
37. O’Hara DA, Duff A, Berlin JA, Poses RM, Lawrence VA, Huber EC, et al. The Effect of Anesthetic Technique on Postoperative Outcomes in Hip Fracture Repair. Anesthesiology. 2000;92:947–57.