(1) L. F. Stinson, Establishment of the early-life microbiome: a DOHaD perspective, J Dev Orig Hlth Dis, 2019, 11, 201-210.
(2) L. M. Cox, S. Yamanishi, J. Sohn, A. V. Alekseyenko, J. M. Leung, I. Cho, S. G. Kim, H. Li, Z. Gao, D. Mahana, J. G. Z. Rodriguez, A. B. Rogers, N. Robine, P. Loke and M. J. Blaser, Altering the Intestinal Microbiota during a Critical Developmental Window Has Lasting Metabolic Consequences, Cell, 2014, 158, 705-721.
(3) D. Schokker, J. Zhang, L. L. Zhang, S. A. Vastenhouw, H. G. H. J. Heilig, H. Smidt, J. M. J. Rebel and M. A. Smits, Early-Life Environmental Variation Affects Intestinal Microbiota and Immune Development in New-Born Piglets, Plos One, 2014, 9.
(4) P. T. Sangild, Development of the mammalian gastrointestinal tract, the resident microbiota, and the role of diet in early life, European Journal of Cancer Supplements, 2011, 3, 85.
(5) A. M. Zivkovic and D. Barile, Bovine Milk as a Source of Functional Oligosaccharides for Improving Human Health, Adv Nutr, 2011, 2, 284-289.
(6) D. P. M. Torres, M. P. Goncalves, J. A. Teixeira and L. R. Rodrigues, Galacto-Oligosaccharides: Production, Properties, Applications, and Significance as Prebiotics, Compr Rev Food Sci F, 2010, 9, 438-454.
(7) M. A. Bouwhuis, M. J. McDonnell, T. Sweeney, A. Mukhopadhya, C. J. O'Shea and J. V. O'Doherty, Seaweed extracts and galacto-oligosaccharides improve intestinal health in pigs following Salmonella Typhimurium challenge, Animal, 2017, 11, 1488-1496.
(8) J. Wang, S. Y. Tian, H. Yu, J. Wang and W. Y. Zhu, Response of Colonic Mucosa-Associated Microbiota Composition, Mucosal Immune Homeostasis, and Barrier Function to Early Life Galactooligosaccharides Intervention in Suckling Piglets, J Agr Food Chem, 2019, 67, 578-588.
(9) M. Zhang, H. C. Pan, Y. J. Xu, X. T. Wang, Z. H. Qiu and L. Jiang, Allicin Decreases Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells through Suppression of Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Activation of Nrf2, Cell Physiol Biochem, 2017, 41, 2255-2267.
(10) Y. C. Lu, W. C. Yeh and P. S. Ohashi, LPS/TLR4 signal transduction pathway, Cytokine, 2008, 42, 145-151.
(11) X. Y. Wang, W. J. Wang, L. M. Wang, C. Yu, G. L. Zhang, H. L. Zhu, C. W. Wang, S. J. Zhao, C. A. A. Hu and Y. L. Liu, Lentinan modulates intestinal microbiota and enhances barrier integrity in a piglet model challenged with lipopolysaccharide, Food Funct, 2019, 10, 479-489.
(12) D. Y. Wang, S. Y. Xu, Y. Lin, Z. F. Fang, L. Q. Che, B. Xue and D. Wu, Recombinant porcine epidermal growth factor-secreting Lactococcus lactis promotes the growth performance of early-weaned piglets, Bmc Vet Res, 2014, 10.
(13) C. Shi, Y. Zhu, Q. Niu, J. Wang, J. Wang and W. Zhu, The Changes of Colonic Bacterial Composition and Bacterial Metabolism Induced by an Early Food Introduction in a Neonatal Porcine Model, Current Microbiology, 2018, 75, 745-751.
(14) T. D. Schmittgen and K. J. Livak, Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C-T method, Nat Protoc, 2008, 3, 1101-1108.
(15) T. Gensollen, S. S. Iyer, D. L. Kasper and R. S. Blumberg, How colonization by microbiota in early life shapes the immune system, Science, 2016, 352, 539-544.
(16) N. Mach, M. Berri, J. Estelle, F. Levenez, G. Lemonnier, C. Denis, J. J. Leplat, C. Chevaleyre, Y. Billon, J. Dore, C. Rogel-Gaillard and P. Lepage, Early-life establishment of the swine gut microbiome and impact on host phenotypes, Env Microbiol Rep, 2015, 7, 554-569.
(17) L. V. Hooper and A. J. Macpherson, Immune adaptations that maintain homeostasis with the intestinal microbiota, Nat Rev Immunol, 2010, 10, 159-169.
(18) A. M. O'Hara and F. Shanahan, The gut flora as a forgotten organ, Embo Rep, 2006, 7, 688-693.
(19) S. H. Duncan, G. E. Lobley, G. Holtrop, J. Ince, A. M. Johnstone, P. Louis and H. J. Flint, Human colonic microbiota associated with diet, obesity and weight loss, Int J Obesity, 2008, 32, 1720-1724.
(20) N. Li, S. M. Huang, L. L. Jiang, W. Wang, T. T. Li, B. Zuo, Z. Li and J. J. Wang, Differences in the Gut Microbiota Establishment and Metabolome Characteristics Between Low- and Normal-Birth-Weight Piglets During Early-Life, Front Microbiol, 2018, 9.
(21) P. Louis and H. J. Flint, Formation of propionate and butyrate by the human colonic microbiota, Environ Microbiol, 2017, 19, 29-41.
(22) Q. Zhang, J. Li, M. Cao, Y. Li, Y. Zhuo, Z. Fang, L. Che, S. Xu, B. Feng, Y. Lin, X. Jiang, X. Zhao and Wu, Dietary supplementation of Bacillus subtilis PB6 improves sow reproductive performance and reduces piglet birth intervals, Anim Nutr, 2020, 6, 278-287.
(23) R. Kenworthy and W. E. Crabb, The Intestinal Flora of Young Pigs, with Reference To Early Weaning, Escherichia Coli and Scours, J Comp Pathol, 1963, 73, 215-228.
(24) E. Miyauchi, H. Morita and S. Tanabe, Lactobacillus rhamnosus alleviates intestinal barrier dysfunction in part by increasing expression of zonula occludens-1 and myosin light-chain kinase in vivo, J Dairy Sci, 2009, 92, 2400-2408.
(25) E. Mann, S. Schmitz-Esser, Q. Zebeli, M. Wagner, M. Ritzmann and B. U. Metzler-Zebeli, Mucosa-associated bacterial microbiome of the gastrointestinal tract of weaned pigs and dynamics linked to dietary calcium-phosphorus, Plos One, 2014, 9, e86950.
(26) A. Savadogo, C. A. T. Ouattara, I. H. N. Bassole and S. A. Alfred, Bacteriocins and lactic acid bacteria - a minireview, Afr J Biotechnol, 2006, 5, 678-U671.
(27) Y. Liu, Y. K. Luo, X. H. Wang, L. Y. Luo, K. Sun and L. Zeng, Gut Microbiome and Metabolome Response of Pu-erh Tea on Metabolism Disorder Induced by Chronic Alcohol Consumption, J Agr Food Chem, 2020, 68, 6615-6627.
(28) C. Wang, W. Li, H. Wang, Y. Ma, X. Zhao, X. Zhang, H. Yang, J. Qian and J. Li, Saccharomyces boulardii alleviates ulcerative colitis carcinogenesis in mice by reducing TNF-alpha and IL-6 levels and functions and by rebalancing intestinal microbiota, BMC Microbiol, 2019, 19, 246.
(29) C. Kong, R. Gao, X. Yan, L. Huang and H. Qin, Probiotics improve gut microbiota dysbiosis in obese mice fed a high-fat or high-sucrose diet, Nutrition, 2019, 60, 175-184.
(30) W. Zhang, Y. H. Zhu, D. Zhou, Q. Wu, D. Song, J. Dicksved and J. F. Wang, Oral Administration of a Select Mixture of Bacillus Probiotics Affects the Gut Microbiota and Goblet Cell Function following Escherichia coli Challenge in Newly Weaned Pigs of Genotype MUC4 That Are Supposed To Be Enterotoxigenic E. coli F4ab/ac Receptor Negative, Appl Environ Microbiol, 2017, 83.
(31) S. Krakowka, K. A. Eaton and D. M. Rings, Occurrence of gastric ulcers in gnotobiotic piglets colonized by Helicobacter pylori, Infect Immun, 1995, 63, 2352-2355.
(32) B. Liu, W. Wang, X. Zhu, X. Sun, J. Xiao, D. Li, Y. Cui, C. Wang and Y. Shi, Response of Gut Microbiota to Dietary Fiber and Metabolic Interaction With SCFAs in Piglets, Front Microbiol, 2018, 9, 2344.
(33) L. R. Lopetuso, F. Scaldaferri, V. Petito and A. Gasbarrini, Commensal Clostridia: leading players in the maintenance of gut homeostasis, Gut Pathog, 2013, 5, 23.
(34) X. Wei, J. Tao, S. Xiao, S. Jiang, E. Shang, Z. Zhu, D. Qian and J. Duan, Xiexin Tang improves the symptom of type 2 diabetic rats by modulation of the gut microbiota, Sci Rep, 2018, 8, 3685.
(35) C. Kang, B. Wang, K. Kaliannan, X. Wang, H. Lang, S. Hui, L. Huang, Y. Zhang, M. Zhou, M. Chen and M. Mi, Gut Microbiota Mediates the Protective Effects of Dietary Capsaicin against Chronic Low-Grade Inflammation and Associated Obesity Induced by High-Fat Diet, mBio, 2017, 8.
(36) C. L. Maynard, C. O. Elson, R. D. Hatton and C. T. Weaver, Reciprocal interactions of the intestinal microbiota and immune system, Nature, 2012, 489, 231-241.
(37) M. A. Franklin, A. G. Mathew, J. R. Vickers and R. A. Clift, Characterization of microbial populations and volatile fatty acid concentrations in the jejunum, ileum, and cecum of pigs weaned at 17 vs 24 days of age, J Anim Sci, 2002, 80, 2904-2910.
(38) M. Lopez-Siles, S. H. Duncan, L. J. Garcia-Gil and M. Martinez-Medina, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii: from microbiology to diagnostics and prognostics, ISME J, 2017, 11, 841-852.
(39) J. M. Neal-McKinney, X. Lu, T. Duong, C. L. Larson, D. R. Call, D. H. Shah and M. E. Konkel, Production of organic acids by probiotic lactobacilli can be used to reduce pathogen load in poultry, Plos One, 2012, 7, e43928.
(40) K. Ushida, K. Ushida and K. Ushida, 13 C-NMR Studies on Lactate Metabolism in a Porcine Gut Microbial Ecosystem, Microbial Ecology in Health & Disease, 2002, 14, 242-247.
(41) T. Tsukahara, K. Hashizume, H. Koyama and K. Ushida, Stimulation of butyrate production through the metabolic interaction among lactic acid bacteria, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and lactic acid-utilizing bacteria, Megasphaera elsdenii, in porcine cecal digesta, Animal Science Journal, 2006.
(42) N. Shibata, J. Kunisawa and H. Kiyono, Dietary and Microbial Metabolites in the Regulation of Host Immunity, Front Microbiol, 2017, 8, 2171.
(43) C. R. Cavaglieri, A. Nishiyama, L. C. Fernandes, R. Curi, E. A. Miles and P. C. Calder, Differential effects of short-chain fatty acids on proliferation and production of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines by cultured lymphocytes, Life Sci, 2003, 73, 1683-1690.
(44) F. S. Lira, J. C. Rosa, G. D. Pimentel, M. Seelaender, A. R. Damaso, L. M. Oyama and C. O. D. Nascimento, Both adiponectin and interleukin-10 inhibit LPS-induced activation of the NF-κB pathway in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, Cytokine, 2011, 57, 98-106.
(45) I. Zanoni, R. Ostuni, L. R. Marek, S. Barresi, R. Barbalat, G. M. Barton, F. Granucci and J. C. Kagan, CD14 controls the LPS-induced endocytosis of Toll-like receptor 4, Cell, 2011, 147, 868-880.
(46) K. Meijer, P. de Vos and M. G. Priebe, Butyrate and other short-chain fatty acids as modulators of immunity: what relevance for health?, Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care, 2010, 13, 715-721.
(47) W. Zhao, M. Yuan, P. Li, H. Yan and J. Liu, Short-chain fructo-oligosaccharides enhances intestinal barrier function by attenuating mucosa inflammation and altering colonic microbiota composition of weaning piglets, 2019.
(48) WenXiong, HaoyueMa, ZhuZhang, MeilanJin, JianWang, YuweiXu and ZiliWang, Icariin enhances intestinal barrier function by inhibiting NF-κB signaling pathways and modulating gut microbiota in a piglet model, RSC Advances, 2019, 9.
(49) E. Steed, M. S. Balda and K. Matter, Dynamics and functions of tight junctions, Trends Cell Biol, 2010, 20, 142-149.
(50) J. Yang, K. Qian, C. Wang and Y. Wu, Roles of Probiotic Lactobacilli Inclusion in Helping Piglets Establish Healthy Intestinal Inter-environment for Pathogen Defense, Probiotics Antimicrob Proteins, 2018, 10, 243-250.
(51) J. Wang, H. Ji, S. Wang, H. Liu, W. Zhang, D. Zhang and Y. Wang, Probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum Promotes Intestinal Barrier Function by Strengthening the Epithelium and Modulating Gut Microbiota, Front Microbiol, 2018, 9, 1953.
(52) E. E. Elamin, A. A. Masclee, J. Dekker, H. J. Pieters and D. M. Jonkers, Short-chain fatty acids activate AMP-activated protein kinase and ameliorate ethanol-induced intestinal barrier dysfunction in Caco-2 cell monolayers, J Nutr, 2013, 143, 1872-1881.
(53) Y. Iiboshi, Adhesive mucous gel layer and mucus release as intestinal barrier in rats, Jpen Journal of Parenteral & Enteral Nutrition, 1996, 20.
(54) M. G. Smirnova, L. Guo, J. P. Birchall and J. P. Pearson, LPS up-regulates mucin and cytokine mRNA expression and stimulates mucin and cytokine secretion in goblet cells, Cell Immunol, 2003, 221, 42-49.