1. Sisko AM, Keehan SP, Cuckler GA, Madison AJ, Smith SD, Wolfe CJ, Stone DA, Lizonitz JM, Poisal JA. National health expenditure projections, 2013–23: faster growth expected with expanded coverage and improving economy. Health Affairs. 2014;33:1841-50. https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0560
2. Frontera WR, Hughes VA, Fielding RA, Fiatarone MA, Evans WJ, Roubenoff R. Aging of skeletal muscle: a 12-yr longitudinal study. Journal of applied physiology. 2000;88:1321-26.
3. Yoshiko A, Hioki M, Kanehira N, Shimaoka K, Koike T, Sakakibara H, Oshida Y, Akima H. Three-dimensional comparison of intramuscular fat content between young and old adults. BMC medical imaging. 2017;17:12.
4. Delmonico MJ, Harris TB, Visser M, Park SW, Conroy MB, Velasquez-Mieyer P, Boudreau R, Manini TM, Nevitt M, Newman AB, Goodpaster BH. Longitudinal study of muscle strength, quality, and adipose tissue infiltration. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2009;90:1579-85.
5. Rech RS, Baumgarten A, Colvara BC, Brochier CW, de Goulart B, Hugo FN, Hilgert JB. Association between oropharyngeal dysphagia, oral functionality, and oral sensorimotor alteration. Oral diseases. 2018;24:664-72.
6. Baumgarten A, Schmidt JG, Rech RS, Hilgert JB, Goulart BNGD. Dental status, oral prosthesis and chewing ability in an adult and elderly population in southern Brazil. Clinics. 2017;72:681-685.
7. Jales MA, Cabral RR, Silva HJ, Cunha DA. Characteristics of the stomatognatic system in the elderly: differences between public and private institutions. Revista CEFAC. 2005;7:178-187.
8. Oliveira BS, Delgado SE, Brescovici SM. Changes of mastication and swallowing in the process of feeding institutionalized elderly. Revista Brasileira de Geriatria e Gerontologia. 2014;17:575-587.
9. Zhu Y, Hollis JH. Differences in chewing behaviors between healthy fully dentate young and older adults assessed by electromyographic recordings. International journal of food sciences and nutrition. 2015;66:452-457. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637486.2015.1038222
10. Lima RMF, Amaral AKFJ, Aroucha EBL, Vasconcelos TMJ, Silva HJ, Cunha DA. Chew, deglutition and speech adaptations in aged people at a long permanence institution. Revista CEFAC. 2009;11:405-422.
11. Kossoni A, Bellou O. Eating habits in older people in Greece: The role of age, dental status and chewing difficulties. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2011;52:197-201.
12. Gellacic AS, Doralice SCT, Antunes JLF, Narvai PC, Lebrão ML, Frazão P. Factors associated with deterioration of self‐rated chewing ability among adults aged 60 years and older over a 6‐year period. Geriatrics & Gerontology international. 2015;16:46-54.
13. Pita MS, Anchieta RB, Júnior MM, Archangelo CM, Silva EMM, Barbosa DB, Zuim, PRJ. Cares with the senior's buccal hygiene: orientations, materials and methods used. Revista Uningá, 2017;22.
14. Veyrune JL, Opé S, Nicolas E, Woda A, Hennequin M. Changes in mastication after an immediate loading implantation with complete fixed rehabilitation. Clinical oral investigations. 2013;17:1127-1134.
15. Cosme DC, Baldisserotto SM, Fernandes EL, Rivaldo EG, Rosing CK, Shinkai RSA. Functional evaluation of oral rehabilitation with removable partial dentures after five years. Journal of applied oral science. 2006;14:111-116.
16. Kumar H, Chand P, Arora V, Singh SV, Mishra N, Alvi HA, Verma UP. Comparison of Rehabilitating Missing Mandibular First Molars with Implant‐or Tooth‐Supported Prostheses Using Masticatory Efficiency and Patient Satisfaction Outcomes. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2017;26:376-380.
17. Berteretche MV, Frot A, Woda A, Pereira B, Hennequin M. Different types of antagonists modify the outcome of complete denture renewal. International Journal of Prosthodontics. 2015;28:270-278.
18. Orthlieb JD, Brocard D, Schittly J, Maniere-Ezvan A. Oclusão: Princípios práticos. Porto Alegre, Brazil; 2002.
19. Heiat A, Vaccarino V, Krumholz HM. An evidence-based assessment of federal guidelines for overweight and obesity as they apply to elderly persons. Archives of internal medicine. 2001;161:1194-1203.
20. Felício CMD, Lima MDRF, Medeiros APM, Ferreira JTL. Orofacial Myofunctional Evaluation Protocol for older people: validity, psychometric properties, and association with oral health and age. CoDAS. 2017;29. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/2317-1782/20172017042
21. Felício CM, Folha GA, Ferreira CLP, Medeiros APM. Expanded protocol of orofacial myofunctional evaluation with scores: validity and reliability. International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology. 2010;74:1230-1239.
22. Matsuyama Y, Aida J, Watt RG, Tsuboya T, Koyama S, Sato Y, Kondo K, Osaka K. Dental Status and Compression of Life Expectancy with Disability. Journal of dental research. 2017;96:1006-1013.
23. Ikebe K, Matsuda KI, Kagawa R, Enoki K, Yoshida M, Maeda Y, Nokubi T. Association of masticatory performance with age, gender, number of teeth, occlusal force and salivary flow in Japanese older adults: is ageing a risk factor for masticatory dysfunction? Archives of oral biology. 2011;56:991-996.
24. Costa AM, Guimarães MDCM, Pedrosa SDF, Nóbrega ODT, Bezerra ACB. Oral health status of elderly women from the Brazilian Federal District. Ciência & Saúde Coletiva. 2010;15:2207-2213.
25. Ikebe K, Matsuda KI, Kagawa R, Enoki K, Okada T, Yoshida M, Maeda Y. Masticatory performance in older subjects with varying degrees of tooth loss. Journal of dentistry. 2012;40:71-76.
26. Kennedy K, Chacon G, McGlumphy E, Johnston W, Yilmaz B, Kennedy P. Evaluation of patient experience and satisfaction with immediately loaded metal-acrylic resin implant-supported fixed complete prosthesis. International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants. 2012;27:1191-1198.
27. Ayres A, Teixeira AR, Martins MD, Gonçalvez AK, Olchik MR. Analysis of the Stomatognathic System Functions in Aged Denture Wearers. Revista Brasileira de Ciências da Saúde. 2016;20:99-106.
28. Lepley CR, Throckmorton GS, Ceen RF, Buschang PH. Relative contributions of occlusion, maximum bite force, and chewing cycle kinematics to masticatory performance. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2011;139:606-613.
29. Zhu Y, Hollis JH. Chewing thoroughly reduces eating rate and postprandial food palatability but does not influence meal size in older adults. Physiology & behavior. 2014;123:62-66.
30. Van Kampen FMC, Van Der Bilt A, Cune MS, Fontijn-Tekamp FA, Bosman F. Masticatory function with implant-supported overdentures. Journal of dental research. 2004;83:708-711.
31. Lepley C, Throckmorton G, Parker S, Buschang PH. Masticatory performance and chewing cycle kinematics—are they related? The Angle Orthodontist. 2010;80:295-301.