There were no experiments or interventions involving human participants or animals. Research ethics committee approval was not required for this survey and this was confirmed using the UK, Health Research Authority “Is my study research?” online decision tool (http://www.hra-decisiontools.org.uk/research; Supplementary Document 1). Informed consent was obtained from all participants and recorded electronically at the start of this survey. The survey data was processed confidentially, anonymously and in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulations of the European Union.
Consent for publication:
Availability of data and materials:
All relevant data and results included in this article have been published along with the article and its supplementary information files. Anonymised data can be obtained on reasonable request from the corresponding author.
The study was wholly funded by The Master Surgeon Trust (UK small charity EW03332). The open access publication fee was provided by the University of Birmingham. No additional funding was received.
Author contributions: Writing committee: K.W conceptualized and designed the study, performed the data analysis, and wrote the core manuscript. W.B, R.L and R.S.K were also involved in the study design and co-wrote the manuscript. Steering committee: A.D, G.R.L, P.L, Y.T, D.M and T.P comprised the study steering committee, were involved in managing day-to-day operations of the study and data interpretation. All remaining collaborative authors (V.D.M, O.O, S.P, S.E, S.R.P, E.A.D, S.G, A.E.M.B, A.O, S.B, M.E, A.A.G, A.A, F.A.R, As.As) were involved in data collection and recruited at least 50 participants each. All authors reviewed, edited and approved the manuscript for publication.
We would like to thank all participants for their time spent completing this survey. We would like to acknowledge the TMS Collaborative members for their support in distributing this survey and data collection. The collaborative member involved in this study included: following members (in order of publication):
Kasun Wanigasooriya (1) (2)
William Beedham (1) (2)
Ryan Laloo (1) (3)
Rama Santhosh Karri (1) (4)
Adnan Darr (1) (3)
Georgia R. Layton (1) (5)
Peter Logan (1) (6)
Yanyu Tan (1) (7)
Devender Mittapalli (1) (8)
Tapan Patel (9)
Vivaswan Dutt Mishra (10)
Osama Odeh (11)
Swathi Prakash (12)
Salma Elnomany (13)
Sri Ramya Peddinti (14)
Elorm Adzoa Daketsey (15)
Shardool Gadgil (16)
Ahmad Elmabri Mohammad Bouhuwaish (17)
Ahmad Ozair (18)
Sanchit Bansal (19)
Muhammed Elhadi (20)
Aditya Amit Godbole (21)
Ariana Axiaq (22)
Faateh Ahmad Rauf (23)
Ashna Ashpak (24)
(1) The Master Surgeon Trust, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
(2) College of Medical and Dental Science, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
(3) Leeds Vascular Institute, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, United Kingdom.
(4) The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
(5) Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. United Kingdom
(6) Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust, Walsall. United Kingdom
(7) North East Deanery, United Kingdom
(8) University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, Plymouth, United Kingdom
(9) Baroda Medical College, India
(10) Motilal Nehru Medical College, Allahabad, India
(11) University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
(12) HCG Cancer Centre, Bangalore, India
(13) Faculty of Medicine, Menoufia University, Menoufia, Egypt
(14) Indira Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute , Puducherry, India
(15) Ysbyty Gwynedd, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Gwynedd, Bangor, North Wales
(16) Lokmanya Tilak municipal medical college, Mumbai, India
(17) Faculty of Medicine Tobruk University, Tobruk, Libya
(18) Faculty of Medicine, King George's Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
(19) Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
(20) Faculty of Medicine, University of Tripoli, Tripoli, Libya
(21) Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University) Medical College, Dhankawadi, Pune, India.
(22) School of Medicine, Faculty of Life Sciences, Queen's University Belfast, Belfast, UK
(23) Combined Military Hospital Lahore Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan
(24) School of Medicine, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, Lancashire, United Kingdom.
Statistical analysis was performed by Dr Kasun Wanigasooriya and Dr Ryan Laloo.
Rights and permissions: