1. Barnett-Itzhaki, Z. & Levi, A. Effects of chronic exposure to ambient air pollutants on COVID-19 morbidity and mortality - A lesson from OECD countries. Environ. Res. 195, 110723 (2021).
2. Beelen, R. et al. Long-term Exposure to Air Pollution and Cardiovascular Mortality, Epidemiology 25, 368-378 (2014).
3. Cardamone, C. & Donatiello, I. Management of COVID-19 in comorbidities. Ital. J. Med. 14, 223-227 (2020).
4. Copat, C. et al. The role of air pollution (PM and NO2) in COVID-19 spread and lethality: a systematic review. Environ. Res. 191, 110129 (2020).
5. Bashir, M. F. et al. Correlation between climate indicators and COVID-19 pandemic in New York, USA. Sci. Total Environ. 728, 138835 (2020).
6. Bodor, K. et al. Effects of PM10 and weather on respiratory and cardiovascular diseases in the Ciuc Basin (Romanian Carpathians). Atmosphere 12, 289 (2021).
7. Cavalcanti, I. D. L. & Soares, J. C. S. Impact of COVID19 on cancer patients: A review. Asia-Pac. J. Clin. Oncol. 1, 7 (2020).
8. Domingo, J. L. & Rovira J. Effects of air pollutants on the transmission and severity of respiratory viral infections. Environ. Res. 187, 109650 (2020).
9. Ejaz, H. et al. COVID-19 and comorbidities: Deleterious impact on infected patients. J. Infect. Public Health. 13, 1833-1839 (2020).
10. Elbarbary, E. et al. Systemic inflammation (C-Reactive Protein) in older Chinese adults is associated with long-term exposure to ambient air pollution. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 18, 3258 (2021).
11. Elezkurtaj, S. et al. Causes of death and comorbidities in hospitalized patients with COVID-19. Sci. Rep. 11, 4263 (2021).
12. Frontera, A., Cianfanelli, L., Vlachos, K., Landoni, G. & Cremona, G. SARS-CoV-2 spread in Northern Italy: what about the pollution role?. J. Infect. 81, 255-259 (2020).
13. Generalitat de Catalunya. Departament de Territori i Sostenibilitat. "Dades Meteorològiques de La XEMA." https://analisi.transparenciacatalunya.cat/Medi-Ambient/Qualitat-de-l-aire-als-punts-de-mesurament-autom-t/tasf-thgu (2021).
14. Grasselli, G. et al. Baseline Characteristics and Outcomes of 1591 Patients Infected With SARS-CoV-2 Admitted to ICUs of the Lombardy Region, Italy. JAMA 323, 1574-1581 (2020).
15. Hahad, O., Frenis, K., Kuntic, M., Daiber, A. & Münzel, T. Accelerated Aging and Age-Related Diseases (CVD and Neurological) Due to Air Pollution and Traffic Noise Exposure. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 22, 2419 (2021).
16. Henderson, S.B., Brauer, M., Macnab, Y.C. & Kennedy, S.M. Three measures of forest fire smoke exposure and their associations with respiratory and cardiovascular health outcomes in a population-based cohort. Environ. Health Perspect. 119, 1266-71 (2011).
17. Hoek, G. et al. Long-term air pollution exposure and cardio- respiratory mortality: a review. Environ. Health 12, 43 (2013).
18. Hou, C. K. et al. 2021. Impact of a long-term air pollution exposure on the case fatality rate of COVID-19 patients-A multicity study. J. Med. Virol. 93, 2938-2946 (2021).
19. Hu, J., Li, C., Wang, S., Li, T. & Zhang H. Genetic variants are identified to increase risk of COVID-19 related mortality from UK Biobank data. medRxiv Preprint at https://doi.org/10.1186/s40246-021-00306-7 (2021)
20. Hutter, H. P. et al. Air pollution is associated with COVID-19 incidence and mortality in Vienna, Austria. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 17, 9275 (2020).
21. Khafaie, M., Yajnik, C., Salvi, S. & Ojha, A. Critical review of air pollution health effects with special concern on respiratory health. J. Air Pollut. Health 1, 123-136 (2016).
22. Kong, X. et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of cancer patients with COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis of global data. Cancer Lett. 508, 30-46 (2021).
23. Lembo, R., Landoni, G., Cianfanelli, L. & Frontera, A. Air pollutants and SARS-CoV-2 in 33 European countries. Acta Biomed. 92, e2021166 (2021).
24. Linillos-Pradillo, B. et al. Determination of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in different particulate matter size fractions of outdoor air samples in Madrid during the lockdown. Environ. Res. 195, 110863 (2021).
25. Maleki, M., Anvari, E., Hopke, P.K., Noorimotlagh, Z. & Mirzaee, S.A. An updated systematic review on the association between atmospheric particulate matter pollution and prevalence of SARS-CoV-2. Environ. Res. 195, 110898 (2021).
26. Marquès, M., Rovira, J., Nadal, M. & Domingo, J. L. Effects of air pollution on the potential transmission and mortality of COVID-19: A preliminary case-study in Tarragona Province (Catalonia, Spain). Environ. Res. 192, 110315 (2020).
27. Masana, L. et al. Effect of statin therapy on SARS-CoV-2 infection-related. Eur. Heart J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacother. pvaa128; 10.1093/ehjcvp/pvaa128 (2020).
28. McGurnaghan, S. J et al. Risks of and risk factors for COVID-19 disease in people with diabetes: a cohort study of the total population of Scotland. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 9, 82-93 (2021).
29. Meo, S.A., Abukhalaf, A.A., Sami, W & Hoang TD. Effect of environmental pollution PM2.5, carbon monoxide, and ozone on the incidence and mortality due to SARS-CoV-2 infection in London, United Kingdom. Journal of King Saud University – Science 33, 101373 (2020).
30. Mohammad, S et al. Obesity and COVID-19: what makes obese host so vulnerable?. Immun. Ageing 18, 1 (2021).
31. Oh, T. K. & Song, I. A. Impact of coronavirus disease-2019 on chronic respiratory disease in South Korea: an NHIS COVID-19 database cohort study. BMC Pulm. Med. 21, 12 (2021).
32. Paital, B. & Agrawal, P. K. Air pollution by NO2 and PM2.5 explains COVID-19 infection severity by overexpression of angiotensin‐converting enzyme 2 in respiratory cells: a review. Environ. Chem. Lett. 18:1-18 (2020).
33. Polichetti, G., Cocco, S., Spinali, A., Trimarco, V. & Nunziata, A. Effects of particulate matter (PM10, PM2.5 and PM1) on the cardiovascular system. Toxicology 261, 1-8 (2009).
34. Ran, J. et al. Effects of particulate matter exposure on the transmissibility and case fatality rate of COVID-19: A Nationwide Ecological Study in China. J. Travel Med. 27, taaa133 (2020).
35. Renzi, M. et al. Long-term PM10 exposure and cause-specific mortality in the Latium Region (Italy): A difference-in-differences approach. Environ. Health Perspect. 127, 67004 (2019).
36. Richardson, S. et al. Presenting Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among 5700 Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19 in the New York City Area. JAMA 323, 2052-2059 (2020).
37. Rovira, J., Domingo, J. L. & Schuhmacher, M. Air quality, health impacts and burden of disease due to air pollution (PM10, PM2.5, NO2 and O3): Application of AirQ+ model to the Camp de Tarragona County (Catalonia, Spain). Sci. Total Environ. 703, 135538 (2019).
38. Sciomer S et al. SARS-CoV-2 spread in Northern Italy: what about the pollution role?. Environ. Monit. Assess. 192, 325 (2020).
39. Setti, L. et al. SARS-CoV-2RNA found on particulate matter of Bergamo in Northern Italy: First evidence. Environ. Res. 188, 109754 (2020).
40. Tahery N et al. Estimation of PM10 pollutant and its effect on total mortality (TM), hospitalizations due to cardiovascular diseases (HACD), and respiratory disease (HARD) outcome. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 28, 22123-22130 (2021).
41. Tian, T. et al. 2021. Risk factors associated with mortality of COVID-19 in 3125 counties of the United States. Infect Dis Poverty. 10, 3 (2021).
42. Vahabi, N., Salehi, M., Duarte, J. D., Mollalo, A. & Michailidis, G. County-level longitudinal clustering of COVID-19 mortality to incidence ratio in the United States. Sci. Rep. 11, 3088 (2021).
43. White, I. R., Royston, P. & Wood, A. M. Multiple imputation using chained equations: Issues and guidance for practice. Stat Med 30, 377-99 (2011).
44. Wu, Y., Zhan, Q. & Zhao Q. Long-term Air Pollution Exposure Impact on COVID-19 Morbidity in China. Aerosol Air Qual. Res. 21, 200143 (2021).
45. World Health Organization. Ambient (outdoor) air pollution. Fact sheet available at https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ambient-(outdoor)-air-quality-and-health (2020).
46. Yang, D., Yang, X., Deng, F. & Guo, X. Ambient Air Pollution and Biomarkers of Health Effect. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 1017, 59-102 (2017).
47. Yao, Y. et al. Association of particulate matter pollution and case fatality rate of COVID-19 in 49 Chinese cities. Sci. Total Environ. 741, 140396 (2020).
48. Zhang, Y. et al. Association analysis framework of genetic and exposure risks for COVID-19 in middle-aged and elderly adults. Mech. Ageing Dev. 194, 111433 (2021).
49. Zheng, P. et al. Association between coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and long-term exposure to air pollution: Evidence from the first epidemic wave in China. Environ. Pollut. 276, 116682 (2021).
50. Zhou, M. et al. The associations between ambient air pollution and adult respiratory mortality in 32 major Chinese cities, 2006-2010. Environ. Res. 137, 278-286 (2015).
51. Zhu, W. et al. Long-term exposure to fine particulate matter relates with incident myocardial infarction (MI) risks and post-MI mortality: A meta-analysis. Chemosphere 267, 128903 (2021).