1. Baulcombe, D. RNA silencing in plants. Nature 431, 356-363 (2004).
2. Eamens, A., Wang, M.-B., Smith, N.A. & Waterhouse, P.M. RNA Silencing in Plants: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. Plant Physiology 147, 456 (2008).
3. Ghildiyal, M. & Zamore, P.D. Small silencing RNAs: an expanding universe. Nature Reviews Genetics 10, 94-108 (2009).
4. Guo, Q., Liu, Q., Smith, N.A., Liang, G. & Wang, M.-B. RNA Silencing in Plants: Mechanisms, Technologies and Applications in Horticultural Crops. Current genomics 17, 476-489 (2016).
5. Matzke, M.A., Kanno, T. & Matzke, A.J.M. RNA-Directed DNA Methylation: The Evolution of a Complex Epigenetic Pathway in Flowering Plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 66, 243-267 (2015).
6. Taochy, C. et al. A Genetic Screen for Impaired Systemic RNAi Highlights the Crucial Role of DICER-LIKE 2. Plant Physiology 175, 1424-1437 (2017).
7. Yu, B. et al. Methylation as a Crucial Step in Plant microRNA Biogenesis. Science 307, 932 (2005).
8. Yamasaki, T., Miyasaka, H. & Ohama, T. Unstable RNAi effects through epigenetic silencing of an inverted repeat transgene in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Genetics 180, 1927-1944 (2008).
9. Stam, M. et al. Distinct features of post-transcriptional gene silencing by antisense transgenes in single copy and inverted T-DNA repeat loci. The Plant Journal 21, 27-42 (2000).
10. Wang, M.-B. et al. Hairpin RNAs derived from RNA polymerase II and polymerase III promoter-directed transgenes are processed differently in plants. RNA (New York, N.Y.) 14, 903-913 (2008).
11. Mette, M.F., Aufsatz, W., van der Winden, J., Matzke, M.A. & Matzke, A.J. Transcriptional silencing and promoter methylation triggered by double-stranded RNA. The EMBO journal 19, 5194-5201 (2000).
12. Dong, L. et al. DRD1-Pol V-dependent self-silencing of an exogenous silencer restricts the non-cell autonomous silencing of an endogenous target gene. The Plant journal : for cell and molecular biology 68, 633-645 (2011).
13. Smith, N.A. et al. Total silencing by intron-spliced hairpin RNAs. Nature 407, 319-320 (2000).
14. Finn, T.E. et al. Transgene expression and transgene-induced silencing in diploid and autotetraploid Arabidopsis. Genetics 187, 409-423 (2011).
15. Qin, G. et al. Disruption of phytoene desaturase gene results in albino and dwarf phenotypes in Arabidopsis by impairing chlorophyll, carotenoid, and gibberellin biosynthesis. Cell Research 17, 471-482 (2007).
16. Vaistij, F.E., Jones, L. & Baulcombe, D.C. Spreading of RNA targeting and DNA methylation in RNA silencing requires transcription of the target gene and a putative RNA-dependent RNA polymerase. The Plant Cell 14, 857-867 (2002).
17. Fusaro, A.F. et al. RNA interference-inducing hairpin RNAs in plants act through the viral defence pathway. EMBO reports 7, 1168-1175 (2006).
18. Pak, J. & Fire, A. Distinct Populations of Primary and Secondary Effectors During RNAi in C. elegans. Science 315, 241 (2007).
19. Lau, N.C., Lim, L.P., Weinstein, E.G. & Bartel, D.P. An Abundant Class of Tiny RNAs with Probable Regulatory Roles in Caenorhabditis elegans. Science 294, 858 (2001).
20. Luff, B., Pawlowski, L. & Bender, J. An Inverted Repeat Triggers Cytosine Methylation of Identical Sequences in Arabidopsis. Molecular Cell 3, 505-511 (1999).
21. Muskens, M.W.M., Vissers, A.P.A., Mol, J.N.M. & Kooter, J.M. Role of inverted DNA repeats in transcriptional and post-transcriptional gene silencing. Plant Molecular Biology 43, 243-260 (2000).
22. Matzke, M.A., Aufsatz, W., Kanno, T., Mette, M.F. & Matzke, A.J.M. 8 - Homology-Dependent Gene Silencing and Host Defense in Plants. in Advances in Genetics, Vol. 46 (eds. Dunlap, J.C. & Wu, C.t.) 235-275 (Academic Press, 2002).
23. Melquist, S., Luff, B. & Bender, J. Arabidopsis PAI gene arrangements, cytosine methylation and expression. Genetics 153, 401-413 (1999).
24. Bender, J. Cytosine methylation of repeated sequences in eukaryotes: the role of DNA pairing. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 23, 252-256 (1998).
25. Onodera, Y. et al. Plant Nuclear RNA Polymerase IV Mediates siRNA and DNA Methylation-Dependent Heterochromatin Formation. Cell 120, 613-622 (2005).
26. Eamens, A., Vaistij, F.E. & Jones, L. NRPD1a and NRPD1b are required to maintain post-transcriptional RNA silencing and RNA-directed DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 55, 596-606 (2008).
27. Taylor, S.H. et al. Construction of effective inverted repeat silencing constructs using sodium bisulfite treatment coupled with strand-specific PCR. BioTechniques 52, 254-262 (2012).
28. Akashi, H. et al. Escape from the interferon response associated with RNA interference using vectors that encode long modified hairpin-RNA. Mol Biosyst 1, 382-90 (2005).
29. Wang, M.B., Boulter, D. & Gatehouse, J.A. Characterization and sequencing of cDNA clone encoding the phloem protein PP2 of Cucurbita pepo. Plant molecular biology 24, 159-170 (1994).
30. Helliwell, C.A. & Waterhouse, P.M. Constructs and Methods for Hairpin RNA-Mediated Gene Silencing in Plants. in Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 392 24-35 (Academic Press, 2005).
31. Gleave, A.P. A versatile binary vector system with a T-DNA organisational structure conducive to efficient integration of cloned DNA into the plant genome. Plant Molecular Biology 20, 1203-1207 (1992).
32. Ellis, J.G., Llewellyn, D.J., Dennis, E.S. & Peacock, W.J. Maize Adh-1 promoter sequences control anaerobic regulation: addition of upstream promoter elements from constitutive genes is necessary for expression in tobacco. The EMBO Journal 6, 11-16 (1987).
33. Clough, S.J. & Bent, A.F. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium -mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Journal 16, 735-743 (1998).
34. Chen, S. et al. A novel T-DNA vector design for selection of transgenic lines with simple transgene integration and stable transgene expression. Functional plant biology : FPB. 32, 671-681 (2005).
35. Vaillancourt, B. & Buell, C.R. High molecular weight DNA isolation method from diverse plant species for use with Oxford Nanopore sequencing. bioRxiv, 783159 (2019).
36. Wang, M.B., Wesley, S.V., Finnegan, E.J., Smith, N.A. & Waterhouse, P.M. Replicating satellite RNA induces sequence-specific DNA methylation and truncated transcripts in plants. RNA (New York, N.Y.) 7, 16-28 (2001).
37. Le, T.-N. et al. DNA demethylases target promoter transposable elements to positively regulate stress responsive genes in Arabidopsis. in Genome biology Vol. 15 458 (2014).