1. WHO. Global report on drowning: preventing a leading killer. World Health Organization 2014. Available from: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/global-report-on-drowning-preventing-a-leading-killer Accessed: 09/09/2020
2. Bierens JJ, Lunetta P, Tipton MJ, Warner DS. Physiology of drowning: a review. Physiol. 2016;31:147-66.
3. Lu T-H, Lunetta P, Walker S. Quality of cause-of-death reporting using ICD-10 drowning codes: a descriptive study of 69 countries. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010;10(30):1-6.
4. Barwood MJ, Bates V, Long GM, Tipton MJ. “Float First”: trapped air between clothing layers significantly improves buoyancy on water immersion in adults, adolescents and children. Int J Aquat Res Ed. 2011;5(2):147-63.
5. Onyekwelu E. Drowning and near drowning. Internet J Health. 2008;8(8):1-4.
6. A 13-year national study of non-fatal drowning in Australia. Royal Life Saving Society Australia 2017. Available from: https://www.royallifesaving.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/19938/3985_v4_RLS_NonFatalSymposium_ReportHR_PROOF_LR.pdf. Accessed: 09/09/2020
7. Pearn J, Nixon JW, Franklin RC, Wallis B. Safety legislation, public health policy and drowning prevention. Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2008;15(2):122-3.
8. Peden AE, Franklin RC, Clemens T. Exploring the burden of fatal drowning and data characteristics in three high income countries: Australia, Canada and New Zealand. BMC Public Health. 2019;19(1):794.
9. NWSF. National Water Safety Forum coordinating group terms of reference. National Water Safety Forum. 2019. Available from: https://www.nationalwatersafety.org.uk/media/1195/rospa-nwsf-paper-oct19-final.pdf. Accessed: 10/09/2020
10. Stoop J. Maritime accident investigations. In: Bierens JJ, editor. Handbook on drowning: prevention, rescue, treatment
Berlin Heidelberg, Germany: Springer 2006.
11. Holliday NP, Kennedy J, Kent EC, Marsh R, Hughes SL, Sherwin T, et al. Marine Climate Change Impacts Partnership Scientific Review – Sea Temperature 2007-2008. Available from: http://www.mccip.org.uk/media/3371/sea-temperature.pdf. Accessed: 90/09/2020
12. Tipton M. The initial responses to cold-water immersion in man. Clin Sci. 1989;77(6):581-8.
13. Tipton MJ. Cold water immersion: sudden death and prolonged survival. Lancet. 2003;362:s12-s3.
14. Office H. Report of the working party on water safety. London, United Kingdom; 1977.
15. Franklin RC, Scarr JP, Pearn JH. Reducing drowning deaths: the continued challenge of immersion fatalities in Australia. Med J Aust. 2010;192(3):123-6.
16. Mahony AJ, Peden AE, Franklin RC, Pearn JH, Scarr J. Fatal, unintentional drowning in older people: an assessment of the role of preexisting medical conditions. Healthy Aging Res. 2017;6:e7.
17. Hamilton K, Keech JJ, Peden AE, Hagger MS. Alcohol use, aquatic injury, and unintentional drowning: a systematic literature review. Drug and Alcohol Rev. 2018;37(6):752-73.
18. Quan L, Bennett EE, Branche CM. Interventions to prevent drowning. In: Doll LS, Bonzo SE, Mercy JA, Sleet DA, editors. Handbook of injury and violence prevention. New York: Springer; 2008. p. 81-96.
19. Hobbs M, Griffiths C, Green M, Christensen A, McKenna J. Examining longitudinal associations between the recreational physical activity environment, change in body mass index, and obesity by age in 8864 Yorkshire Health Study participants. Soc Sci Med. 2019;227:76-83.
20. Hobbs M, Griffiths C, Green M, Jordan H, Saunders J, McKenna J. Neighbourhood typologies and associations with body mass index and obesity: A cross-sectional study. Prev Med. 2018;111:351-7.
21. Vogel C, Zwolinsky S, Griffiths C, Hobbs M, Henderson E, Wilkins E. A Delphi study to build consensus on the definition and use of big data in obesity research. Int J Obes. 2019;43(12):2573-86.
22. WHO. Preventing drowning: an implementation guide. World Health Organization 2017. Available from: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/preventing-drowning-an-implementation-guide. Accessed: 29/09/2020
23. Pearson G. Why children die: a pilot study 2006, England (South West, North East and West midlands), Wales and Northern Ireland. London. 2008. Available from: https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/sites/default/files/Why%20Children%20Die%20-%20a%20pilot%20study%202006.pdf. Accessed: 09/09/2020
24. Morgan D, Ozanne‐Smith J, Triggs TJA. Self‐reported water and drowning risk exposure at surf beaches. Aust NZ J Public Health. 2009;33(2):180-8.
25. WHO. International statistical cassification of diseases and related health problems, eleventh revision. World Health Organization 2018. Available from: https://icd.who.int/en. Accessed: 09/09/2020
26. Agerbo E, Gunnell D, Bonde JP, Mortensen PB, Nordentoft M. Suicide and occupation: the impact of socio-economic, demographic and psychiatric differences. Psychol Med. 2007;37(8):1131-40.
27. Manders B, Kaur J. Suicides in the UK: 2017 registrations. 2018. Available from: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/suicidesintheunitedkingdom/2018registrations. Accessed: 09/09/2020
28. Tipton MJ, Eglin C, Gennser M, Golden F. Immersion deaths and deterioration in swimming performance in cold water. Lancet. 1999;354(9179):626-9.
29. Tipton MJ, Golden F. A proposed decision-making guide for the search, rescue and resuscitation of submersion (head under) victims based on expert opinion. Resus. 2011;82(7):819-24.
30. Fralick M, Denny CJ, Redelmeier DA. Drowning and the influence of hot weather. PloS one. 2013;8(8):e71689.
31. Schmidt A, Hawkins S, Quan L. Drowning is never dry. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2019;13(4):313-5.
32. Peden AE, Franklin RC, Leggat PA. Exploring visitation at rivers to understand drowning risk. Inj Prev. 2019;25(5):392-9.
33. Gallinger ZR, Fralick M, Hwang SW. Ethnic differences in drowning rates in Ontario, Canada. J Immigr Minor Health. 2015;17(5):1436-43.
34. Barwood M, Massey HC, Tipton M. “Float First”:: evidence-base for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution's “Respect the Water” campaign. Portsmouth, United Kingdom: University of Portsmouth; 2018.
35. Idris A, Bierens J, Perkins G, Wenzel V, Nadkarni V, Morley P. Revised Utstein-style recommended guidelines for uniform reporting of data from drowning-related resuscitation: an ILCOR advisory statement. Resus. 2015;118:147-58.