1. Zera KA, Buckwalter MS: The Local and Peripheral Immune Responses to Stroke: Implications for Therapeutic Development. Neurotherapeutics 2020, 17:414-435.
2. Shimada IS, Borders A, Aronshtam A, Spees JL: Proliferating Reactive Astrocytes Are Regulated by Notch-1 in the Peri-Infarct Area After Stroke. Stroke 2011, 42:3231-3237.
3. Notch Signaling in the Central Nervous System with Special Reference to its Expression in Microglia. CNS & Neurological Disorders - Drug Targets 2013.
4. Wei Z, Chigurupati S, Arumugam TV, Jo DG, Li H, Chan SL: Notch Activation Enhances the Microglia-Mediated Inflammatory Response Associated With Focal Cerebral Ischemia. Stroke 2011, 42:2589-2594.
5. Grandbarbe L, Michelucci A, Heurtaux T, Hemmer K, Morga E, Heuschling P: Notch signaling modulates the activation of microglial cells. Glia 2007, 55:1519-1530.
6. Todd N. Eagar, Qizhi Tang, Michael Wolfe, Yiping He, Warren S. Pear, Jeffrey A. Bluestone1: Notch 1 Signaling Regulates Peripheral T Cell Activation. Immunity 2004, 20:407–415.
7. Arumugam TV, Chan SL, Jo DG, Yilmaz G, Tang SC, Cheng A, Gleichmann M, Okun E, Dixit VD, Chigurupati S, et al: Gamma secretase-mediated Notch signaling worsens brain damage and functional outcome in ischemic stroke. Nat Med 2006, 12:621-623.
8. Selkoe D, Kopan R: Notch and Presenilin: regulated intramembrane proteolysis links development and degeneration. Annu Rev Neurosci 2003, 26:565-597.
9. Kopan R: Notch: a membrane-bound transcription factor. J Cell Sci 2002, 115:1095-1097.
10. Eagar TN, Tang Q, Wolfe M, He Y, Pear WS, Bluestone JA: Notch 1 signaling regulates peripheral T cell activation. Immunity 2004, 20:407-415.
11. Monsalve E, Pérez MA, Rubio A, Ruiz-Hidalgo MJ, Baladrón V, García-Ramírez JJ, Gómez JC, Laborda J, Díaz-Guerra MJ: Notch-1 up-regulation and signaling following macrophage activation modulates gene expression patterns known to affect antigen-presenting capacity and cytotoxic activity. J Immunol 2006, 176:5362-5373.
12. Hao XZ, Tian JQ, Yin LK, Zhang XX, Li CC, Feng XY, Yao ZW, Jiang M, Yang YM: MRI detects protective effects of DAPT treatment with modulation of microglia/macrophages at subacute and chronic stages following cerebral ischemia. Mol Med Rep 2017, 16:4493-4500.
13. Hao XZ, Yin LK, Tian JQ, Li CC, Feng XY, Yao ZW, Jiang M, Yang YM: Inhibition of Notch1 Signaling at the Subacute Stage of Stroke Promotes Endogenous Neurogenesis and Motor Recovery After Stroke. Front Cell Neurosci 2018, 12:245.
14. Zbesko JC, Nguyen TV, Yang T, Frye JB, Hussain O, Hayes M, Chung A, Day WA, Stepanovic K, Krumberger M, et al: Glial scars are permeable to the neurotoxic environment of chronic stroke infarcts. Neurobiol Dis 2018, 112:63-78.
15. Ma Y, Wang J, Wang Y, Yang GY: The biphasic function of microglia in ischemic stroke. Prog Neurobiol 2017, 157:247-272.
16. Hu X, Leak RK, Shi Y, Suenaga J, Gao Y, Zheng P, Chen J: Microglial and macrophage polarization—new prospects for brain repair. Nat Rev Neurol 2015, 11:56-64.
17. Qin C, Zhou LQ, Ma XT, Hu ZW, Yang S, Chen M, Bosco DB, Wu LJ, Tian DS: Dual Functions of Microglia in Ischemic Stroke. Neurosci Bull 2019, 35:921-933.
18. Liddelow SA, Guttenplan KA, Clarke LE, Bennett FC, Bohlen CJ, Schirmer L, Bennett ML, Münch AE, Chung WS, Peterson TC, et al: Neurotoxic reactive astrocytes are induced by activated microglia. Nature 2017, 541:481-487.
19. Yun SP, Kam TI, Panicker N, Kim S, Oh Y, Park JS, Kwon SH, Park YJ, Karuppagounder SS, Park H, et al: Block of A1 astrocyte conversion by microglia is neuroprotective in models of Parkinson's disease. Nat Med 2018, 24:931-938.
20. Zhao Y, Rempe DA: Targeting astrocytes for stroke therapy. Neurotherapeutics 2010, 7:439-451.
21. Brumm AJ, Carmichael ST: Not just a rush of blood to the head. Nat Med 2012, 18:1609-1610.
22. Gleichman AJ, Carmichael ST: Astrocytic therapies for neuronal repair in stroke. Neurosci Lett 2014, 565:47-52.
23. Liddelow SA, Barres BA: Reactive Astrocytes: Production, Function, and Therapeutic Potential. Immunity 2017, 46:957-967.
24. Fields RD, Stevens-Graham B: New insights into neuron-glia communication. Science 2002, 298:556-562.
25. Khakh BS, Sofroniew MV: Diversity of astrocyte functions and phenotypes in neural circuits. Nat Neurosci 2015, 18:942-952.
26. Duan C-L, Liu C-W, Shen S-W, Yu Z, Mo J-L, Chen X-H, Sun F-Y: Striatal astrocytes transdifferentiate into functional mature neurons following ischemic brain injury. Glia 2015, 63:1660-1670.
27. Magnusson JP, Goritz C, Tatarishvili J, Dias DO, Smith EM, Lindvall O, Kokaia Z, Frisen J: A latent neurogenic program in astrocytes regulated by Notch signaling in the mouse. Science 2014, 346:237-241.
28. Iliff JJ, Wang M, Liao Y, Plogg BA, Peng W, Gundersen GA, Benveniste H, Vates GE, Deane R, Goldman SA, et al: A paravascular pathway facilitates CSF flow through the brain parenchyma and the clearance of interstitial solutes, including amyloid β. Sci Transl Med 2012, 4:147ra111.
29. Bechmann I, Galea I, Perry VH: What is the blood–brain barrier (not)? Trends in Immunology 2007, 28:5-11.
30. Bronzuoli MR, Facchinetti R, Valenza M, Cassano T, Steardo L, Scuderi C: Astrocyte Function Is Affected by Aging and Not Alzheimer's Disease: A Preliminary Investigation in Hippocampi of 3xTg-AD Mice. Front Pharmacol 2019, 10:644.
31. Zhang Y, Xing S, Zhang J, Li J, Li C, Pei Z, Zeng J: Reduction of β-amyloid deposits by γ-secretase inhibitor is associated with the attenuation of secondary damage in the ipsilateral thalamus and sensory functional improvement after focal cortical infarction in hypertensive rats. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2011, 31:572-579.
32. Hao XZ, Yin LK, Zhang XX, Tian JQ, Li CC, Feng XY, Jiang M, Yang YM: Combining systemic and stereotactic MEMRI to detect the correlation between gliosis and neuronal connective pathway at the chronic stage after stroke. J Neuroinflammation 2016, 13:156.
33. Paxinos G, Watson, C.: The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinates. Academic Press, San Diego 1998.
34. Sanchez-Bezanilla S, TeBay C, Nilsson M, Walker FR, Ong LK: Visual discrimination impairment after experimental stroke is associated with disturbances in the polarization of the astrocytic aquaporin-4 and increased accumulation of neurotoxic proteins. Exp Neurol 2019, 318:232-243.
35. Li D, Lang W, Zhou C, Wu C, Zhang F, Liu Q, Yang S, Hao J: Upregulation of Microglial ZEB1 Ameliorates Brain Damage after Acute Ischemic Stroke. Cell Rep 2018, 22:3574-3586.
36. Iadecola C, Anrather J: The immunology of stroke: from mechanisms to translation. Nat Med 2011, 17:796-808.
37. Benakis C, Garcia-Bonilla L, Iadecola C, Anrather J: The role of microglia and myeloid immune cells in acute cerebral ischemia. Front Cell Neurosci 2014, 8:461.
38. Eldahshan W, Fagan SC, Ergul A: Inflammation within the neurovascular unit: Focus on microglia for stroke injury and recovery. Pharmacol Res 2019, 147:104349.
39. Bush TG, Puvanachandra N, Horner CH, Polito A, Ostenfeld T, Svendsen CN, Mucke L, Johnson MH, Sofroniew MV: Leukocyte infiltration, neuronal degeneration, and neurite outgrowth after ablation of scar-forming, reactive astrocytes in adult transgenic mice. Neuron 1999, 23:297-308.
40. Anderson MA, Burda JE, Ren Y, Ao Y, O'Shea TM, Kawaguchi R, Coppola G, Khakh BS, Deming TJ, Sofroniew MV: Astrocyte scar formation aids central nervous system axon regeneration. Nature 2016, 532:195-200.
41. Wanner IB, Anderson MA, Song B, Levine J, Fernandez A, Gray-Thompson Z, Ao Y, Sofroniew MV: Glial scar borders are formed by newly proliferated, elongated astrocytes that interact to corral inflammatory and fibrotic cells via STAT3-dependent mechanisms after spinal cord injury. J Neurosci 2013, 33:12870-12886.