1. Anthony K., Ulrika E., Kristian S., Felix A., Kusi et al. Refusal to enroll in Ghana’s National Health Insurance Scheme: is affordability the problem?. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2015; 14(1):2.
2. De Allegri M, Pokhrel S, Becher H, Dong H, Mansmann U, Kouyaté B, et al. Step-wedge cluster randomized community-based trials: An application to the study of the impact of community health insurance. Health Res Policy Syst. 2008 Dec; 6(1). [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 22].Available from: https://health-policy-systems.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1478-4505-6-10.
3. Macha J, Kuwawenaruwa A, Makawia S, Mtei G, Borghi J. Determinants of community health fund membership in Tanzania: a mixed methods analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. Dec 2014;14(1).[Internet].[cited2019Mar22].Availablefrom:https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-014-0538-9.
4. Noubiap JJN, Joko WYA, Obama JMN, Bigna JJR. Community-based health insurance knowledge, concern, preferences, and financial planning for health care among informal sector workers in a health district of Douala, Cameroon. Pan Afr Med J. 2013;16:17.
5. Hong W. and Nancy P. Community-Based Health Insurance: An Evolutionary Approach to Achieving Universal Coverage in Low-Income Countries. Journal of Life Sciences.2012; 6: 320-329
6. WHO. Tracking universal health coverage: 2017 global monitoring report. Switzerland; 13 dec 2017. 122029-WP-REVISED-PUBLIC.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 25]. Available from: http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/640121513095868125/pdf/122029-WP-REVISED PUBLIC.pdf.
7. Adam F. and John E. Achieving universal health coverage in South Africa through a district health system approach: conflicting ideologies of health care provision.
BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 558. doi:
8. Ethiopian Ministry of Health. Health policy of the transitional government of Ethiopia, 1993. [Internet]. Available from: http://www.moh.gov.et/web/guest/resources.
9. Ethiopia Health Sector Transformation Plan (2015/16-2019/20), Oct 01,2015. Available from: https://www.globalfinancingfacility.org/sites/gff_new/files/Ethiopia-health-system transformation-plan.pdf.
10. Ethiopia healthcare financing reform brief: Improving quality and equity, March 2012.
[Internet].[cited 2019 Mar 26]. Available from: https://www.hfgproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Ethiopia_Health_Care_Reform_Brief1. pdf
11. Central Statistical Agency/CSA/Ethiopia and ICF. Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2016. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and Rockville, Maryland, USA: CSA and ICF, 2016. [Internet].[cited2019Mar22].Availablefrom:https://dhsprogram.com/ pubs/pdf/FR328/FR328.pdf
12. De Allegri M, Pokhrel S, Becher H, Dong H, Mansmann U, Kouyaté B, et al. Step-wedge cluster-randomised community-based trials: an application to the study of the impact of community health insurance. Health Res Policy Syst. 2008 Oct 22; 6(10).
13. A systematic review of factors that affect uptake of community-based health insurance in low income and middle-income countries. BMC Health Services Research. 2015; 15:543.
14. Katia C., Ramona D., Ann P. and Nicholas F. Trust, Community-based health insurance and enrollment rates, World Health Statistics, 2012.
15. Jahangir AM., Khan and Sayem Ahmed. Impact of educational intervention on willingness-to-pay for health insurance: A study of informal sector workers in urban Bangladesh.
Health Econ Rev. 2013; 3: 12. doi:
16. South Achefer District annual Community based health insurance performance evaluation report, 2016
17. Amhara Regional State-Community based health insurance scheme implementation directive, 2011
18. Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health. Ethiopia’s Household Health Services Utilization and Expenditure Survey Briefing Notes. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, April 2014. [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar22].Availablefrom:https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wpcontent/uploads/sites/2031/2017/01/Ethiopian-Household-Survey-Report-Brief-FINAL.pdf.
19. Adebayo EF, Uthman OA, Wiysonge CS, Stern EA, Lamont KT, Ataguba JE. A systematic review of factors that affect uptake of community-based health insurance in low-income and middle-income countries. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015 Jun;15(1). [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 22]. Available from: http://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-015-1179-3.
20. Derseh A, Sparrow R, Debebe ZY, Alemu G, Bedi AS. Enrolment in Ethiopia’s community based health insurance scheme. ISS Working Paper. No. 578, December 2013.
21. Solomon K, Gashaw Andargie and Desta DA. Willingness to join a village-based health insurance scheme (Iddir) in Dessie town, Ethiopia. Ethiop. J. Health Dev. 2018;32(4):46-53.
Himanshu N. and
Subodh C. Understanding perception and factors influencing private voluntary health insurance policy subscription in the Lucknow region.
Int J Health Policy Manag. 2015 Feb; 4(2): 75–83. doi:
10.15171/ijhpm.2015.08. [Internet]. [cited 2016 Dec 12]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4322630/.
23. Fenenga CJ, Nketiah-Amponsah E, Ogink A, Arhinful DK, Poortinga W, Hutter I. Social capital and active membership in the Ghana National Health Insurance Scheme - a mixed method study. Int J Equity Health. 2015 Nov2; 14. [Internet]. [cited 2016 Dec 12]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4630914/