1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Transmission and Pathogenesis of Tuberculosis. In. Available from: www.cdc.gov/tb; Accessed on June 18, 2019
2. Introduction | Questions and Answers | Pamphlets, Brochures, Booklets | Publications & Products | TB | CDC 2018 [cited 2019 Nov 26]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/faqs/qa_introduction.htm; Accessed on November 26, 2019
3. Tuberculosis Control Programme | Division | Ghana Health Service. [cited 2019 Nov 26]. Available from: http://ghanahealthservice.org/programme-scat.php?ghspid=2&ghsscid=83; Accessed on November 26, 2019
4. World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis report 2018. 2018.
5. Romiti R, Valenzuela F, Chouela EN, Xu W, Pangallo B, Moriarty SR, et al. Prevalence and outcome of latent tuberculosis in patients receiving ixekizumab: integrated safety analysis from 11 clinical trials of patients with plaque psoriasis. The British Journal of Dermatology. 2019 Jul;181(1):202.
6. TB Risk Factors | Basic TB Facts | TB | CDC. 2018 [cited 2019 Oct 25]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/risk.htm. Accessed on October 25, 2019
7. Esposito S, Tagliabue C, Bosis S. Tuberculosis in Children. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Disease . 2013 Nov 4 [cited 2019 Oct 25];5(1). Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3867258/; Accessed on October 25, 2019
8. World Health Organisation. Global tuberculosis report 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/publications-detail-redirect/9789240013131; Accessed on June 28, 2020
9. ChildhhoodTB_section1.pdf. Available from: https://www.who.int/tb/challenges/ChildhhoodTB_section1.pdf?ua=1; Accessed on August 17, 2019
10. Manual for management and control of Tuberculosis and Leprosy in Uganda, 3rd Edition. | Ministry of Health [Internet]. Available from: http://health.go.ug/content/manual-management-and-control-tuberculosis-and-leprosy-uganda-3rd-edition; Accessed on November 25, 2018.
11. Hamzaoui A, Yaalaoui S, Cherif FT, Saidi LS, Berraies A. Childhood tuberculosis: a concern of the modern world. European Respiratory Review. 2014 Sep 1;23(133):278–91.
12. Sandgren A, Cuevas LE, Dara M, Gie RP, Grzemska M, Hawkridge A, et al. Childhood tuberculosis: progress requires an advocacy strategy now. Eur Respir J. 2012 Aug;40(2):294–7.
13. Treatment for TB Disease | Treatment | TB | CDC Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/treatment/tbdisease.htm; Accessed on October 13, 2019.
14. End_TB_Strategy.pdf [cited 2018 Nov 26]. Available from: https://www.who.int/tb/strategy/End_TB_Strategy.pdf; Accessed on November 26, 2018.
15. Namukwaya E, Nakwagala F, Mulekya F, Mayanja-Kizza H, Mugerwa R. Predictors of treatment failure among pulmonary tuberculosis patients in Mulago hospital, Uganda. Afr Health Sci. 2011 Aug;11(Suppl 1):S105–11.
16. Sawadogo B, Tint KS, Tshimanga M, Kuonza L, Ouedraogo L. Risk factors for tuberculosis treatment failure among pulmonary tuberculosis patients in four health regions of Burkina Faso, 2009: case control study. Pan African Medical Journal. 2015 Jun 24;21. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4546781/
17. Babiarz KS, Suen S, Goldhaber-Fiebert JD. Tuberculosis treatment discontinuation and symptom persistence: an observational study of Bihar, India’s public care system covering >100,000,000 inhabitants. BMC Public Health. 2014 May 1;14(1):418.
18. Wobudeya E, Sekadde-Kasirye M, Kimuli D, Mugabe F, Lukoye D. Trend and outcome of notified children with tuberculosis during 2011-2015 in Kampala, Uganda. BMC Public Health. 2017 Dec;17(1):1–8.
19. The Uganda National Tuberculosis Prevalence Survey, 2014-2015 Survey Report | Ministry of Health . Available from: http://health.go.ug/content/uganda-national-tuberculosis-prevalence-survey-2014-2015-survey-report; Accessed on November 25, 2019.
20. Mbale Hospital. In: Wikipedia. 2018 [cited 2019 May 6]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mbale_Hospital&oldid=853415412; Accessed on May 26 2019
21. We Are Overwhelmed By Patients - Mbale Hospital :: Uganda Radio Network . Available from: https://ugandaradionetwork.com/story/we-are-overwhelmed-by-patients-mbale-hospital; Accessed on May 26, 2019
22. Skinner D, Claassens M. It’s complicated: why do tuberculosis patients not initiate or stay adherent to treatment? A qualitative study from South Africa. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2016 Nov 25;16(1):712.
23. Gaps in the child tuberculosis care cascade in 32 rural communities in Uganda and Kenya. Journal of Clinical Tuberculosis and Other Mycobacterial Diseases. 2017 Dec 1;9:24–9.
24. Clark M, Riben P, Nowgesic E. The association of housing density, isolation and tuberculosis in Canadian First Nations communities. International Journal of Epidemiologyion. 2002 Oct 1;31(5):940–5.
25. Wanyeki I, Olson S, Brassard P, Menzies D, Ross N, Behr M, et al. Dwellings, crowding, and tuberculosis in Montreal. Social Science & Medicine. 2006 Jul 1;63(2):501–11.
26. Neiderud C-J. How urbanization affects the epidemiology of emerging infectious diseases. Infection Ecology Epidemiology . 2015 Jun 24 [cited 2019 Dec 8];5. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4481042/
27. Kerubo G, Amukoye E, Niemann S, Kariuki S. Drug susceptibility profiles of pulmonary Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from patients in informal urban settlements in Nairobi, Kenya. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2016 Oct 19;16(1):583.
28. Middelkoop K, Bekker L-G, Morrow C, Zwane E, Wood R. Childhood tuberculosis infection and disease: A spatial and temporal transmission analysis in a South African township. South African medical journal = Suid-Afrikaanse tydskrif vir geneeskunde. 2009 Oct;99(10):738.
29. Ministry of Health. Uganda National Guidelines for Tuberculosis Infection Control in Health Care Facilities, Congregate Settings and Households. Ministry of Health, Uganda;
30. Chamie G, Wandera B, Luetkemeyer A, Bogere J, Mugerwa RD, Havlir DV, et al. Household ventilation and tuberculosis transmission in Kampala, Uganda. 2013 . Available from: https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iuatld/ijtld/2013/00000017/00000006/art00011; Accessed on January 11, 2020
31. Buregyeya E, Nuwaha F, Verver S, Criel B, Colebunders R, Wanyenze R, et al. Implementation of tuberculosis infection control in health facilities in Mukono and Wakiso districts, Uganda. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2013 Aug 1;13(1):360.
32. Buregyeya E, Mitchell EMH, Rutebemberwa E, Colebunders R, Criel B, Kiguli J, et al. Acceptability of masking and patient separation to control nosocomial Tuberculosis in Uganda: a qualitative study. Journal of Public Health. 2012 Dec 1;20(6):599–606.
33. Boah M, Jin B, Adampah T, Wang W, Wang K. The scale-up of antiretroviral therapy coverage was strongly associated with the declining tuberculosis morbidity in Africa during 2000–2018. Public Health. 2021 Feb 1;191:48–54.
34. Takarinda KC, Harries AD, Sandy C, Mutasa-Apollo T, Zishiri C. Declining tuberculosis case notification rates with the scale-up of antiretroviral therapy in Zimbabwe. Public Health Action. 2016 Sep;6(3):164–8.
35. Kanyerere H, Girma B, Mpunga J, Tayler-Smith K, Harries AD, Jahn A, et al. Scale-up of ART in Malawi has reduced case notification rates in HIV-positive and HIV-negative tuberculosis. Public Health Action. 2016 Dec 21;6(4):247–51.
36. Surie D, Borgdorff MW, Cain KP, Click ES, DeCock KM, Yuen CM. Assessing the impact of antiretroviral therapy on tuberculosis notification rates among people with HIV: a descriptive analysis of 23 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, 2010–2015. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2018 Sep 26;18(1):481.
37. Ali SA, Mavundla TR, Fantu R, Awoke T. Outcomes of TB treatment in HIV co-infected TB patients in Ethiopia: a cross-sectional analytic study. BMC Infectious Diseases 2016 [cited 2019 Oct 13];16. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5097375/
38. Ifebunandu NA, Ukwaja KN, Obi SN. Treatment outcome of HIV-associated tuberculosis in a resource-poor setting. Tropical Doctor. 2012 Apr 1;42(2):74–6.
39. Ambadekar NN, Zodpey SP, Soni RN, Lanjewar SP. Treatment outcome and its attributes in TB-HIV co-infected patients registered under Revised National TB Control Program: a retrospective cohort analysis. Public Health. 2015 Jun 1;129(6):783–9.
40. Mukuku O, Mutombo AM, Kakisingi CN, Musung JM, Wembonyama SO, Luboya ON. Tuberculosis and HIV co-infection in Congolese children: risk factors of death. Pan African Medical Journal . 2019 Aug 27;33. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815491/
41. Ohene S-A, Fordah S, Dela Boni P. Childhood tuberculosis and treatment outcomes in Accra: a retrospective analysis. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2019 Aug 28;19(1):749.
42. Belay GM, Wubneh CA. Childhood tuberculosis treatment outcome and its association with HIV co-infection in Ethiopia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Tropical Medical Health. 2020 Feb 18;48(1):7.
43. Deribew A, Tesfaye M, Hailmichael Y, Negussu N, Daba S, Wogi A, et al. Tuberculosis and HIV co-infection: its impact on quality of life. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2009 Dec 29;7(1):105.
44. Amuha MG, Kutyabami P, Kitutu FE, Odoi-Adome R, Kalyango JN. Non-adherence to anti-TB drugs among TB/HIV co-infected patients in Mbarara Hospital Uganda: Prevalence and associated factors. African Health Sciences . 2009 Jan 1 ];9(2). Available from: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ahs/article/view/47806
45. Loveday M, Wallengren K, Brust J, Roberts J, Voce A, Margot B, et al. Community-based care vs. centralised hospitalisation for MDR-TB patients KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Int Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2015 Feb;19(2):163–71.
46. Daru P, Matji R, AlMossawi HJ, Chakraborty K, Kak N. Decentralized, Community-Based Treatment for Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis: Bangladesh Program Experience. Global Health: Science and Practice. 2018 Oct 3;6(3):594–602.
47. Cohen DB, Phiri M, Banda H, Squire SB, Namakhoma I, Desmond N. A qualitative evaluation of hospital versus community-based management of patients on injectable treatments for tuberculosis. BMC Public Health. 2018 Sep 17;18(1):1127.
48. Community-based management versus traditional hospitalization in treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis | Global Health Research and Policy | Full Text . Available from: https://ghrp.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41256-016-0010-y; Accessed on November 26, 2019