1. Malhotra A, Schwartz AR, Schneider H, et al. Research Priorities in Pathophysiology for Sleep-disordered Breathing in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. An Official American Thoracic Society Research Statement. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2018;197:289-99.
2. Vogelmeier CF, Criner GJ, Martinez FJ, et al. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease 2017 Report. GOLD Executive Summary. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2017;195:557-82.
3. Wang C, Xu J, Yang L, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in China (the China Pulmonary Health [CPH] study): a national cross-sectional study. Lancet (London, England) 2018;391:1706-17.
4. Lim DC, Pack AI. Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Update and Future. Annual review of medicine 2017;68:99-112.
5. Povitz M, Bolo CE, Heitman SJ, Tsai WH, Wang J, James MT. Effect of treatment of obstructive sleep apnea on depressive symptoms: systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS medicine 2014;11:e1001762.
6. Young T, Peppard PE, Gottlieb DJ. Epidemiology of obstructive sleep apnea: a population health perspective. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2002;165:1217-39.
7. McNicholas WT. COPD-OSA Overlap Syndrome: Evolving Evidence Regarding Epidemiology, Clinical Consequences, and Management. Chest 2017;152:1318-26.
8. Marin JM, Soriano JB, Carrizo SJ, Boldova A, Celli BR. Outcomes in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea: the overlap syndrome. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2010;182:325-31.
9. Shawon MS, Perret JL, Senaratna CV, Lodge C, Hamilton GS, Dharmage SC. Current evidence on prevalence and clinical outcomes of co-morbid obstructive sleep apnea and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A systematic review. Sleep medicine reviews 2017;32:58-68.
10. Naranjo M, Willes L, Prillaman BA, Quan SF, Sharma S. Undiagnosed OSA May Significantly Affect Outcomes in Adults Admitted for COPD in an Inner-City Hospital. Chest 2020;158:1198-207.
11. Bhaskaran K, Dos-Santos-Silva I, Leon DA, Douglas IJ, Smeeth L. Association of BMI with overall and cause-specific mortality: a population-based cohort study of 3·6 million adults in the UK. The lancet Diabetes & endocrinology 2018;6:944-53.
12. Lee DH, Keum N, Hu FB, et al. Predicted lean body mass, fat mass, and all cause and cause specific mortality in men: prospective US cohort study. BMJ (Clinical research ed) 2018;362:k2575.
13. Yang L, Zhou M, Smith M, et al. Body mass index and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-related mortality: a nationally representative prospective study of 220,000 men in China. International journal of epidemiology 2010;39:1027-36.
14. Sun Y, Milne S, Jaw JE, et al. BMI is associated with FEV(1) decline in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis of clinical trials. Respiratory research 2019;20:236.
15. Wall H, Smith C, Hubbard R. Body mass index and obstructive sleep apnoea in the UK: a cross-sectional study of the over-50s. Primary care respiratory journal : journal of the General Practice Airways Group 2012;21:371-6.
16. Schwartz AR, Patil SP, Laffan AM, Polotsky V, Schneider H, Smith PL. Obesity and obstructive sleep apnea: pathogenic mechanisms and therapeutic approaches. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society 2008;5:185-92.
17. Romero-Corral A, Caples SM, Lopez-Jimenez F, Somers VK. Interactions between obesity and obstructive sleep apnea: implications for treatment. Chest 2010;137:711-9.
18. Berry RB, Budhiraja R, Gottlieb DJ, et al. Rules for scoring respiratory events in sleep: update of the 2007 AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events. Deliberations of the Sleep Apnea Definitions Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine 2012;8:597-619.
19. Zhou BF. Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference for risk factors of certain related diseases in Chinese adults--study on optimal cut-off points of body mass index and waist circumference in Chinese adults. Biomedical and environmental sciences : BES 2002;15:83-96.
20. Senaratna CV, Perret JL, Lodge CJ, et al. Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea in the general population: A systematic review. Sleep medicine reviews 2017;34:70-81.
21. Black JK, Whittaker AC, Balanos GM. Undiagnosed Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Physical Activity in Older Manual Workers. Journal of aging and physical activity 2019;27:293-9.
22. Chung F, Subramanyam R, Liao P, Sasaki E, Shapiro C, Sun Y. High STOP-Bang score indicates a high probability of obstructive sleep apnoea. British journal of anaesthesia 2012;108:768-75.
23. Patel SR. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Annals of internal medicine 2019;171:Itc81-itc96.
24. Johnson DA, Guo N, Rueschman M, Wang R, Wilson JG, Redline S. Prevalence and correlates of obstructive sleep apnea among African Americans: the Jackson Heart Sleep Study. Sleep 2018;41.
25. Xiong MQ, Hu WH, Hu K, et al. [Analysis of risk factors and consequences for concurrent obstructive sleep apnea in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients]. Zhonghua jie he he hu xi za zhi = Zhonghua jiehe he huxi zazhi = Chinese journal of tuberculosis and respiratory diseases 2019;42:832-7.
26. Schols AM, Slangen J, Volovics L, Wouters EF. Weight loss is a reversible factor in the prognosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 1998;157:1791-7.
27. Celli BR, Cote CG, Marin JM, et al. The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The New England journal of medicine 2004;350:1005-12.
28. Yamauchi Y, Hasegawa W, Yasunaga H, et al. Paradoxical association between body mass index and in-hospital mortality in elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Japan. International journal of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 2014;9:1337-46.
29. Park HJ, Cho JH, Kim HJ, Park JY, Lee HS, Byun MK. The effect of low body mass index on the development of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and mortality. Journal of internal medicine 2019;286:573-82.
30. Landbo C, Prescott E, Lange P, Vestbo J, Almdal TP. Prognostic value of nutritional status in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 1999;160:1856-61.
31. Lainscak M, von Haehling S, Doehner W, et al. Body mass index and prognosis in patients hospitalized with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of cachexia, sarcopenia and muscle 2011;2:81-6.
32. Choi KM, Thomas RJ, Kim J, Lee SK, Yoon DW, Shin C. Overlap syndrome of COPD and OSA in Koreans. Medicine 2017;96:e7241.
33. Young T, Peppard PE, Taheri S. Excess weight and sleep-disordered breathing. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md : 1985) 2005;99:1592-9.
34. Ohdaira F, Nakamura K, Nakayama H, et al. Demographic characteristics of 3,659 Japanese patients with obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome diagnosed by full polysomnography: associations with apnea-hypopnea index. Sleep & breathing = Schlaf & Atmung 2007;11:93-101.
35. Sawanyawisuth K, Chindaprasirt J, Senthong V, et al. Lower BMI is a predictor of obstructive sleep apnea in elderly Thai hypertensive patients. Sleep & breathing = Schlaf & Atmung 2013;17:1215-9.
36. Schols AM, Broekhuizen R, Weling-Scheepers CA, Wouters EF. Body composition and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The American journal of clinical nutrition 2005;82:53-9.
37. Lenk K, Schuler G, Adams V. Skeletal muscle wasting in cachexia and sarcopenia: molecular pathophysiology and impact of exercise training. Journal of cachexia, sarcopenia and muscle 2010;1:9-21.
38. Worsnop C, Kay A, Kim Y, Trinder J, Pierce R. Effect of age on sleep onset-related changes in respiratory pump and upper airway muscle function. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md : 1985) 2000;88:1831-9.
39. Woo HJ, Lim JH, Ahn JC, et al. Characteristics of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Patients With a Low Body Mass Index: Emphasis on the Obstruction Site Determined by Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy. Clinical and experimental otorhinolaryngology 2020;13:415-21.
40. Stokes A, Preston SH. Smoking and reverse causation create an obesity paradox in cardiovascular disease. Obesity (Silver Spring, Md) 2015;23:2485-90.
41. Wang Y, Hu K, Liu K, et al. Obstructive sleep apnea exacerbates airway inflammation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Sleep medicine 2015;16:1123-30.
42. Teodorescu M, Consens FB, Bria WF, et al. Predictors of habitual snoring and obstructive sleep apnea risk in patients with asthma. Chest 2009;135:1125-32.
43. Teodorescu M, Xie A, Sorkness CA, et al. Effects of inhaled fluticasone on upper airway during sleep and wakefulness in asthma: a pilot study. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine 2014;10:183-93.
44. Kimoff RJ. Upperairway myopathy is important in the pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine 2007;3:567-9.
45. Biselli P, Grossman PR, Kirkness JP, et al. The effect of increased lung volume in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on upper airway obstruction during sleep. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md : 1985) 2015;119:266-71.
46. Krachman SL, Tiwari R, Vega ME, et al. Effect of Emphysema Severity on the Apnea-Hypopnea Index in Smokers with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Annals of the American Thoracic Society 2016;13:1129-35.
47. White LH, Bradley TD. Role of nocturnal rostral fluid shift in the pathogenesis of obstructive and central sleep apnoea. The Journal of physiology 2013;591:1179-93.