1. Shaffer JA, Edmondson D, Wasson LT, Falzon L, Homma K, Ezeokoli N, Li P, Davidson KW: Vitamin D supplementation for depressive symptoms: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Psychosomatic medicine 2014, 76(3):190-6.
2. Yardley L, Smith H: A prospective study of the relationship between feared consequences of falling and avoidance of activity in community-living older people. The Gerontologist 2002, 42(1):17-23.
3. Vieira ER, Palmer RC, Chaves PH: Prevention of falls in older people living in the community. BMJ 2016, 353:i1419.
4. Korhonen N, Niemi S, Palvanen M, Parkkari J, Sievanen H, Kannus P: Declining age-adjusted incidence of fall-induced injuries among elderly Finns. Age Ageing 2012, 41(1):75-9.
5. Porthouse J, Birks YF, Torgerson DJ, Cockayne S, Puffer S, Watt I: Risk factors for fracture in a UK population: a prospective cohort study. QJM : monthly journal of the Association of Physicians 2004, 97(9):569-74.
6. Kannus P, Sievanen H, Palvanen M, Jarvinen T, Parkkari J: Prevention of falls and consequent injuries in elderly people. Lancet 2005, 366(9500):1885-93.
7. Thorpe DL, Knutsen SF, Beeson WL, Fraser GE: The effect of vigorous physical activity and risk of wrist fracture over 25 years in a low-risk survivor cohort. Journal of bone and mineral metabolism 2006, 24(6):476-83.
8. Feskanich D, Willett W, Colditz G: Walking and leisure-time activity and risk of hip fracture in postmenopausal women. Jama 2002, 288(18):2300-6.
9. Cauley JA, Harrison SL, Cawthon PM, Ensrud KE, Danielson ME, Orwoll E, Mackey DC: Objective measures of physical activity, fractures and falls: the osteoporotic fractures in men study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2013, 61(7):1080-8.
10. El-Khoury F, Cassou B, Charles MA, Dargent-Molina P: The effect of fall prevention exercise programmes on fall induced injuries in community dwelling older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 2013, 347:f6234.
11. Gillespie LD, Robertson MC, Gillespie WJ, Sherrington C, Gates S, Clemson LM, Lamb SE: Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012, 9:CD007146.
12. Guirguis-Blake JM, Michael YL, Perdue LA, Coppola EL, Beil TL: Interventions to Prevent Falls in Older Adults: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA 2018, 319(16):1705-16.
13. Sherrington C, Fairhall NJ, Wallbank GK, Tiedemann A, Michaleff ZA, Howard K, Clemson L, Hopewell S, Lamb SE: Exercise for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2019, 1:CD012424.
14. Korpelainen R, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S, Nieminen P, Heikkinen J, Vaananen K, Korpelainen J: Long-term outcomes of exercise: follow-up of a randomized trial in older women with osteopenia. Arch Intern Med 2010, 170(17):1548-56.
15. Hwang HF, Chen SJ, Lee-Hsieh J, Chien DK, Chen CY, Lin MR: Effects of Home-Based Tai Chi and Lower Extremity Training and Self-Practice on Falls and Functional Outcomes in Older Fallers from the Emergency Department-A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016, 64(3):518-25.
16. Clemson L, Fiatarone Singh MA, Bundy A, Cumming RG, Manollaras K, O'Loughlin P, Black D: Integration of balance and strength training into daily life activity to reduce rate of falls in older people (the LiFE study): randomised parallel trial. BMJ 2012, 345:e4547.
17. Robertson MC, Campbell AJ, Gardner MM, Devlin N: Preventing injuries in older people by preventing falls: a meta-analysis of individual-level data. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002, 50(5):905-11.
18. Uusi-Rasi K, Sievanen H, Vuori I, Heinonen A, Kannus P, Pasanen M, Rinne M, Oja P: Long-term recreational gymnastics, estrogen use, and selected risk factors for osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 1999, 14(7):1231-8.
19. Uusi-Rasi K, Sievanen H, Heinonen A, Vuori I, Beck TJ, Kannus P: Long-term recreational gymnastics provides a clear benefit in age-related functional decline and bone loss. A prospective 6-year study. Osteoporos Int 2006, 17(8):1154-64.
20. Lamb SE, Jorstad-Stein EC, Hauer K, Becker C: Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: the Prevention of Falls Network Europe consensus. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005, 53(9):1618-22.
21. Schwenk M, Lauenroth A, Stock C, Moreno RR, Oster P, McHugh G, Todd C, Hauer K: Definitions and methods of measuring and reporting on injurious falls in randomised controlled fall prevention trials: a systematic review. BMC medical research methodology 2012, 12:50.
22. Uusi-Rasi K, Patil R, Karinkanta S, Kannus P, Tokola K, Lamberg-Allardt C, Sievanen H: Exercise and vitamin d in fall prevention among older women: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA internal medicine 2015, 175(5):703-11.
23. Karinkanta S, Kannus P, Uusi-Rasi K, Heinonen A, Sievanen H: Combined resistance and balance-jumping exercise reduces older women's injurious falls and fractures: 5-year follow-up study. Age Ageing 2015, 44(5):784-9.
24. Uusi-Rasi K, Patil R, Karinkanta S, Kannus P, Tokola K, Lamberg-Allardt C, Sievanen H: A 2-Year Follow-Up After a 2-Year RCT with Vitamin D and Exercise: Effects on Falls, Injurious Falls and Physical Functioning Among Older Women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2017, 72(9):1239-45.
25. Karinkanta S, Heinonen A, Sievanen H, Uusi-Rasi K, Fogelholm M, Kannus P: Maintenance of exercise-induced benefits in physical functioning and bone among elderly women. Osteoporos Int 2009, 20(4):665-74.
26. Gianoudis J, Bailey CA, Ebeling PR, Nowson CA, Sanders KM, Hill K, Daly RM: Effects of a targeted multimodal exercise program incorporating high-speed power training on falls and fracture risk factors in older adults: a community-based randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2014, 29(1):182-91.
27. Gill TM, Pahor M, Guralnik JM, McDermott MM, King AC, Buford TW, Strotmeyer ES, Nelson ME, Sink KM, Demons JL et al: Effect of structured physical activity on prevention of serious fall injuries in adults aged 70-89: randomized clinical trial (LIFE Study). BMJ 2016, 352:i245.
28. Gregg EW, Cauley JA, Seeley DG, Ensrud KE, Bauer DC: Physical activity and osteoporotic fracture risk in older women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Ann Intern Med 1998, 129(2):81-8.
29. Joakimsen RM, Fonnebo V, Magnus JH, Stormer J, Tollan A, Sogaard AJ: The Tromso Study: physical activity and the incidence of fractures in a middle-aged population. J Bone Miner Res 1998, 13(7):1149-57.
30. Rikkonen T, Salovaara K, Sirola J, Karkkainen M, Tuppurainen M, Jurvelin J, Honkanen R, Alhava E, Kroger H: Physical activity slows femoral bone loss but promotes wrist fractures in postmenopausal women: a 15-year follow-up of the OSTPRE study. J Bone Miner Res 2010, 25(11):2332-40.
31. Nikander R, Gagnon C, Dunstan DW, Magliano DJ, Ebeling PR, Lu ZX, Zimmet PZ, Shaw JE, Daly RM: Frequent walking, but not total physical activity, is associated with increased fracture incidence: a 5-year follow-up of an Australian population-based prospective study (AusDiab). J Bone Miner Res 2011, 26(7):1638-47.
32. Englund U, Nordstrom P, Nilsson J, Hallmans G, Svensson O, Bergstrom U, Pettersson-Kymmer U: Active commuting reduces the risk of wrist fractures in middle-aged women-the UFO study. Osteoporos Int 2013, 24(2):533-40.
33. Zhao R, Feng F, Wang X: Exercise interventions and prevention of fall-related fractures in older people: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. International journal of epidemiology 2017, 46(1):149-61.
34. Husu P, Suni J, Vaha-Ypya H, Sievanen H, Tokola K, Valkeinen H, Maki-Opas T, Vasankari T: Objectively measured sedentary behavior and physical activity in a sample of Finnish adults: a cross-sectional study. BMC public health 2016, 16:920.
35. Waller K, Vaha-Ypya H, Tormakangas T, Hautasaari P, Lindgren N, Iso-Markku P, Heikkila K, Rinne J, Kaprio J, Sievanen H et al: Long-term leisure-time physical activity and other health habits as predictors of objectively monitored late-life physical activity - A 40-year twin study. Scientific reports 2018, 8(1):9400.