(1) Battaglia A, South S, Carey JC. Clinical utility gene card for: Wolf-Hirschhorn (4p-) syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet 2011 Apr;19(4):10.1038/ejhg.2010.186. Epub 2010 Dec 8.
(2) Cooper H, Hirschhorn K. Apparent deletion of short arms of one chromosome (4 or 5) in a child with defects of midline fusion. Mamm Chrom Nwsl 1961;4(14).
(3) Wolf U, Reinwein H, Porsch R, Schroter R, Baitsch H. Deficiency on the short arms of a chromosome No. 4. Humangenetik 1965;1(5):397–413.
(4) Hirschhorn K, Cooper HL, Firschein IL. Deletion of short arms of chromosome 4–5 in a child with defects of midline fusion. Humangenetik 1965;1(5):479–482.
(5) Gorlin RJ, Cohen MM, Levin LS. Chromosomal Syndromes: Common and/or Well-Know Syndromes. Syndromes of the head and neck New York: Oxford University Press; 1990. p. 48–50.
(6) Battaglia A, Filippi T, Carey JC. Update on the clinical features and natural history of Wolf-Hirschhorn (4p-) syndrome: experience with 87 patients and recommendations for routine health supervision. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2008 Nov 15;148C(4):246–251.
(7) Maas NM, Van Buggenhout G, Hannes F, Thienpont B, Sanlaville D, Kok K, et al. Genotype-phenotype correlation in 21 patients with Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome using high resolution array comparative genome hybridisation (CGH). J Med Genet 2008 Feb;45(2):71–80.
(8) Wright TJ, Ricke DO, Denison K, Abmayr S, Cotter PD, Hirschhorn K, et al. A transcript map of the newly defined 165 kb Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome critical region. Hum Mol Genet 1997 Feb;6(2):317–324.
(9) Battaglia A, Carey JC, Wright TJ. Wolf-Hirschhorn (4p-) syndrome. Adv Pediatr 2001;48:75–113.
(10) Battaglia A, Carey JC, South ST. Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome: A review and update. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2015 Sep;169(3):216–223.
(11) Zollino M, Murdolo M, Marangi G, Pecile V, Galasso C, Mazzanti L, et al. On the nosology and pathogenesis of Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome: genotype-phenotype correlation analysis of 80 patients and literature review. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2008 Nov 15;148C(4):257–269.
(12) Marshall AT. Impact of chromosome 4p- syndrome on communication and expressive language skills: a preliminary investigation. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch 2010 Jul;41(3):265–276.
(13) Fisch GS, Battaglia A, Parrini B, Youngblom J, Simensen R. Cognitive-behavioral features of children with Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome: preliminary report of 12 cases. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2008 Nov 15;148C(4):252–256.
(14) Fisch GS, Carpenter N, Howard-Peebles PN, Holden JJ, Tarleton J, Simensen R, et al. Developmental trajectories in syndromes with intellectual disability, with a focus on Wolf-Hirschhorn and its cognitive-behavioral profile. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil 2012 Mar;117(2):167–179.
(15) Fisch GS, Grossfeld P, Falk R, Battaglia A, Youngblom J, Simensen R. Cognitive-behavioral features of Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome and other subtelomeric microdeletions. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2010 Nov 15;154C(4):417–426.
(16) Blanco-Lago R, Malaga-Dieguez I, Granizo-Martinez JJ, Carrera-Garcia L, Barruz-Galian P, Lapunzina P, et al. Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. Description of a Spanish cohort of 51 cases and a literature review. Rev Neurol 2017 May 1;64(9):393–400.
(17) Blanco-Lago R, Malaga I, Garcia-Penas JJ, Garcia-Ron A. Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. A series of 27 patients: their epidemiological and clinical characteristics. The current situation of the patients and the opinions of their caregivers regarding the diagnostic process. Rev Neurol 2013 Jul 16;57(2):49–56.
(18) Nevado J, Ho K, Zollino M, Blanco R, Cobaleda C, Golzio C, et al. International Meeting on Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome:
Update on the nosology and new insights on the pathogenic
mechanisms for seizures and growth delay. American Journal of Medical Genetics: Part A 2019.
(19) The WHOQOL Group. Development of the WHOQOL: Rationale and Current Status. International Journal of Mental Health 1994;23(3):24–56.
(20) WHOQOL Group. Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment. The WHOQOL Group. Psychol Med 1998 May;28(3):551–558.
(21) Fabre A, Baumstarck K, Cano A, Loundou A, Berbis J, Chabrol B, et al. Assessment of quality of life of the children and parents affected by inborn errors of metabolism with restricted diet: preliminary results of a cross-sectional study. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2013 Sep 19;11:15–158.
(22) Guarany NR, Vanz AP, Wilke, Matheus Vernet Machado Bressan, Bender DD, Borges MD, Giugliani R, et al. Mucopolysaccharidosis: Caregiver Quality of Life. Journal of Inborn Errors of Metabolism and Screening 2015;3.
(23) Landfeldt E, Lindgren P, Bell CF, Guglieri M, Straub V, Lochmüller H, et al. Quantifying the burden of caregiving in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Neurol 2016;263(5):906–915.
(24) Lázaro E, Amayra I, Paz J, Beldarrain A, Alday E. Psychosocial Online Program directed to parents of children and teenagers wih Neuromuscular Disease. Journal of eHealth Technology and Application, 7, 2, 78–81 2009.
(25) Vanz AP, Felix TM, da Rocha NS, Schwartz IV. Quality of life in caregivers of children and adolescents with Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2015 Apr 1;13:4–4.
(26) Witt S, Kolb B, Bloemeke J, Mohnike K, Bullinger M, Quitmann J. Quality of life of children with achondroplasia and their parents - a German cross-sectional study. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases 2019;14(1):194.
(27) Ahanotu C, Ibikunle P, Adebisi H. Burden of caregiving, social support and quality of life of informal caregivers of patients with cerebral palsy. Turkish Journal of Kinesiology 2018;4:58–64.
(28) Feeley CA, Turner-Henson A, Christian BJ, Avis KT, Heaton K, Lozano D, et al. Sleep quality, stress, caregiver burden, and quality of life in maternal caregivers of young children with bronchopulmonary dysplasia. J Pediatr Nurs 2014;29(1):29–38.
(29) Ganjiwale D, Ganjiwale J, Sharma B, Mishra B. Quality of life and coping strategies of caregivers of children with physical and mental disabilities. Journal of family medicine and primary care 2016 Apr;5(2):343–348.
(30) Lv R, Wu L, Jin L, Lu Q, Wang M, Qu Y, et al. Depression, anxiety and quality of life in parents of children with epilepsy. Acta Neurol Scand 2009 Nov;120(5):335–341.
(31) Roncada C, Dias CP, Goecks S, Cidade SE, Pitrez PM. Usefulness of the WHOQOL-BREF questionnaire in assessing the quality of life of parents of children with asthma. Rev Paul Pediatr 2015;33(3):268–274.
(32) Pelentsov LJ, Fielder AL, Laws TA, Esterman AJ. The supportive care needs of parents with a child with a rare disease: results of an online survey. BMC family practice 2016;17:88.
(33) Picci R, Oliva F, Trivelli F, Carezana C, Zuffranieri M, Ostacoli L, et al. Emotional Burden and Coping Strategies of Parents of Children with Rare Diseases. J Child Fam Stud 2013;24.
(34) Carona C, Silva N, Crespo C, Canavarro MC. Caregiving burden and parent-child quality of life outcomes in neurodevelopmental conditions: the mediating role of behavioral disengagement. J Clin Psychol Med Settings 2014 Dec;21(4):320–328.
(35) Fairfax A, Brehaut J, Colman I, Sikora L, Kazakova A, Chakraborty P, et al. A systematic review of the association between coping strategies and quality of life among caregivers of children with chronic illness and/or disability. BMC pediatrics 2019;19(1):215.
(36) Currie G, Szabo J. “It is like a jungle gym, and everything is under construction”: The parent’s perspective of caring for a child with a rare disease. Child Care Health Dev 2019;45(1):96–103.
(37) Colombo F, Llena-Nozal A, Mercier J, Tjadens F. Help wanted? providing and paying for long-term care. Paris: OECD; 2011.
(38) Lucas-Carrasco R. The WHO quality of life (WHOQOL) questionnaire: Spanish development and validation studies. Qual Life Res 2012 Feb;21(1):161–165.
(39) WHOQOL SRPB Group. A cross-cultural study of spirituality, religion, and personal beliefs as components of quality of life. Soc Sci Med 2006 Mar;62(6):1486–1497.
(40) Zarit SH, Reever KE, Bach-Peterson J. Relatives of the impaired elderly: correlates of feelings of burden. Gerontologist 1980 Dec;20(6):649–655.
(41) Martín M, Salvadó I, Nadal S, Miji C, Rico JM, Lanz P, et al. Adaptación para nuestro medio de la Escala de Sobrecarga del Cuidador (caregiver burden interview) de Zarit [Adaptation to our setting of Zarit’s Caregiver Burden Interview]. Revista De Gerontología 1996;6(4):338–346.
(42) Derogatis LR. SCL–90-R: Administration, Scoring and Procedures: Manual 1 Baltimore, MD: Clinical Psychometric Research; 1977.
(43) Derogatis LR. Cuestionario de 90 síntomas (SCL–90-R) Madrid: TEA Ediciones, S. A.; 2001.
(44) Tobin DL, Holroyd KA, Reynolds RV, Wigal JK. The hierarchical factor structure of the coping strategies inventory. Cognitive Therapy and Research 1989;13(4):343–361.
(45) Cano García FJ, Rodríguez Franco L, García Martínez J. Adaptación española del Inventario de Estrategias de Afrontamiento. Actas Españolas de Psiquiatría 2007;35:29–39.
(46) Magliano L, Fadden G, Madianos M, de Almeida JM, Held T, Guarneri M, et al. Burden on the families of patients with schizophrenia: results of the BIOMED I study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 1998 Sep;33(9):405–412.
(47) Ribe JM, Salamero M, Perez-Testor C, Valero A, Garcia MC. Spanish version of the social network questionnaire in schizophrenia patients’ caregivers. Schizophr Res 2015 May;164(1–3):273–274.
(48) González-Blanch C, Hernández-de-Hita F, Muñoz-Navarro R, Ruíz-Rodríguez P, Medrano LA, Cano-Vindel A. The association between different domains of quality of life and symptoms in primary care patients with emotional disorders. Scientific Reports 2018;8(1):11180.
(49) González de Rivera, J. L, De las Cuevas C, Rodríguez-Albuín MJ, Rodríguez-Pulido F. El cuestionario de 90 síntomas (adaptación española del SCL–90R de L. R. Derogatis). Madrid: TEA; 2002.
(50) Lozano Serrano C, Ortiz Lobo A, González González R. Análisis comparativo de los pacientes con y sin trastorno mental diagnosticable. Revista de la Asociación Española de Neuropsiquiatría 2011;31(3):421–435.
(51) Ellis PD. The Essential Guide to Effect Sizes: Statistical Power, Meta-Analysis, and the Interpretation of Research Results. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2010.
(52) National Alliance for Caregiving. Rare disease caregiving in America. 2018.
(53) Morel T, Aymé S, Cassiman D, Simoens S, Morgan M, Vandebroek M. Quantifying benefit-risk preferences for new medicines in rare disease patients and caregivers. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases 2016;11(1):70.
(54) Piran P, Khademi Z, Tayari N, Mansouri N. Caregiving burden of children with chronic diseases. Electronic physician 2017;9(9):5380–5387.
(55) Tejada-Ortigosa EM, Flores-Rojas K, Moreno-Quintana L, Munoz-Villanueva MC, Perez-Navero JL, Gil-Campos M. Health and socio-educational needs of the families and children with rare metabolic diseases: Qualitative study in a tertiary hospital. An Pediatr (Barc) 2019 Jan;90(1):42–50.
(56) Toledano-Toledano F, Moral de lR. Factors associated with anxiety in family caregivers of children with chronic diseases. BioPsychoSocial Medicine 2018;12(1):20.
(57) Courbier S, Berjonneau E. Juggling care and daily life: the balancing act of the rare disease community. A Rare Barometer survey. 2017 May.
(58) Bowd AD, Loos CH. Needs, morale and coping strategies of caregivers for persons with Alzheimer’s disease in isolated communities in Canada. Am J Alzheimer’s Dis 1996;11(3):32–39.
(59) Bouldin ED, Shaull L, Andresen EM, Edwards VJ, McGuire LC. Financial and Health Barriers and Caregiving-Related Difficulties Among Rural and Urban Caregivers. The Journal of rural health: official journal of the American Rural Health Association and the National Rural Health Care Association 2018;34(3):263–274.
(60) O’Connell ME, Germaine N, Burton R, Stewart N, Morgan DG. Degree of rurality is not related to dementia caregiver distress, burden, and coping in a predominantly rural sample. J Appl Gerontol 2013 Dec;32(8):1015–1029.
(61) Pinquart M, Sörensen S. Associations of Stressors and Uplifts of Caregiving With Caregiver Burden and Depressive Mood: A Meta-Analysis. psychsocgerontology 2003;58(2):P112-P128.
(62) Rahmani F, Ranjbar F, Hosseinzadeh M, Razavi SS, Dickens GL, Vahidi M. Coping strategies of family caregivers of patients with schizophrenia in Iran: A cross-sectional survey. International Journal of Nursing Sciences 2019;6(2):148–153.
(63) Nag HE, Bergsaker DK, Hunn BS, Schmidt S, Hoxmark LB. A structured assessment of motor function, behavior, and communication in patients with Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. Eur J Med Genet 2017 Nov;60(11):610–617.
(64) Schoeder CE, Remer R. Perceived Social Support and Caregiver Strain in Caregivers of Children with Tourette’s Disorder. J Child Fam Stud 2007;16(6):888–901.
(65) Chivukula U, Kota S, Nandinee D. Burden experience of caregivers of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Impact of coping and spirituality. Indian J Palliat Care 2018;24(2):189–195.
(66) Faurisson F. Survey of the delay in diagnosis for 8 rare diseases in Europe: EurordisCare2. European Organisation for Rare Diseases Web site 2004.
(67) Zurynski Y, Deverell M, Dalkeith T, Johnson S, Christodoulou J, Leonard H, et al. Australian children living with rare diseases: experiences of diagnosis and perceived consequences of diagnostic delays. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases 2017;12(1):68.
(68) Gainotti S, Mascalzoni D, Bros-Facer V, Petrini C, Floridia G, Roos M, et al. Meeting Patients’ Right to the Correct Diagnosis: Ongoing International Initiatives on Undiagnosed Rare Diseases and Ethical and Social Issues. International journal of environmental research and public health 2018;15(10):2072.
(69) Cavazza M, Kodra Y, Armeni P, De Santis M, Lopez-Bastida J, Linertova R, et al. Social/economic costs and health-related quality of life in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in Europe. Eur J Health Econ 2016 Apr;17 Suppl 1:19–29.
(70) Kayadjanian N, Schwartz L, Farrar E, Comtois KA, Strong TV. High levels of caregiver burden in Prader-Willi syndrome. PloS one 2018;13(3):e0194655.
(71) Ribe Buitron JM, Perez Testor C, Muros Guijarro R, Nofuentes Garcia C. Considerations about the interpretation of the Zarit scale in caregivers of patients with schizophrenia. Aten Primaria 2018;50(7):443–444.
(72) Shannon NL, Maltby EL, Rigby AS, Quarrell OW. An epidemiological study of Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome: life expectancy and cause of mortality. J Med Genet 2001 Oct;38(10):674–679.
(73) Campbell JD, Whittington MD, Kim CH, VanderVeen GR, Knupp KG, Gammaitoni A. Assessing the impact of caring for a child with Dravet syndrome: Results of a caregiver survey. Epilepsy Behav 2018 Mar;80:152–156.
(74) Jensen MP, Liljenquist KS, Bocell F, Gammaitoni AR, Aron CR, Galer BS, et al. Life impact of caregiving for severe childhood epilepsy: Results of expert panels and caregiver focus groups. Epilepsy Behav 2017 Sep;74:135–143.
(75) Khanna R, Madhavan SS, Smith MJ, Patrick JH, Tworek C, Becker-Cottrill B. Assessment of Health-Related Quality of Life Among Primary Caregivers of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders 2011;41(9):1214–1227.
(76) Khangura SD, Karaceper MD, Trakadis Y, Mitchell JJ, Chakraborty P, Tingley K, et al. Scoping review of patient- and family-oriented outcomes and measures for chronic pediatric disease. BMC Pediatr 2015 Feb 13;15:x.
(77) Lee MM, Lee TM, Ng PK, Hung AT, Au AM, Wong VC. Psychosocial Well-Being of Carers of People with Epilepsy in Hong Kong. Epilepsy Behav 2002 Apr;3(2):147–157.
(78) Lowes L, Clark TS, Noritz G. Factors associated with caregiver experience in families with a child with cerebral palsy. Journal of pediatric rehabilitation medicine 2016;9(1):65.
(79) Holly Lanum Peay. Community-engaged approaches to explore research priorities in Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophyDepartment of Clinical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine / Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Leiden University; 2015.
(80) Villas N, Meskis MA, Goodliffe S. Dravet syndrome: Characteristics, comorbidities, and caregiver concerns. Epilepsy Behav 2017 Sep;74:81–86.
(81) Bose M, Mahadevan M, Schules DR, Coleman RK, Gawron KM, Gamble MB, et al. Emotional experience in parents of children with Zellweger spectrum disorders: A qualitative study. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism Reports 2019;19:100459.
(82) Jensen MP, Brunklaus A, Dorris L, Zuberi SM, Knupp KG, Galer BS, et al. The humanistic and economic burden of Dravet syndrome on caregivers and families: Implications for future research. Epilepsy Behav 2017 May;70(Pt A):104–109.
(83) Dellve L, Samuelsson L, Tallborn A, Fasth A, Hallberg LR. Stress and well-being among parents of children with rare diseases: a prospective intervention study. J Adv Nurs 2006 Feb;53(4):392–402.
(84) Khanna A, Anusha P, Patel P, Ganjiwale J, Nimbalkar S. Social, Psychological and Financial Burden on Caregivers of Children with Chronic Illness: A Cross-sectional Study. Indian J Pediatr 2015;82.
(85) Pelentsov LJ, Laws TA, Esterman AJ. The supportive care needs of parents caring for a child with a rare disease: A scoping review. Disabil Health J 2015 Oct;8(4):475–491.
(86) Andrade EM, Geha LM, Duran P, Suwwan R, Machado F, do Rosario MC. Quality of Life in Caregivers of ADHD Children and Diabetes Patients. Front Psychiatry 2016 Jul 25;7:127.
(87) Ganjiwale D, Ganjiwale J, Sharma B, Mishra B. Quality of life and coping strategies of caregivers of children with physical and mental disabilities. J Family Med Prim Care 2016;5(2):343–348.
(88) Awadalla AW, Ohaeri JU, Al-Awadi S, Tawfiq AM. Diabetes mellitus patients’ family caregivers’ subjective quality of life. J Natl Med Assoc 2006;98(5):727–736.
(89) Hawken T, Turner-Cobb J, Barnett J. Coping and adjustment in caregivers: A systematic review. Health psychology open 2018;5(2):2055102918810659.
(90) Lazarus RS, Folkman S. Stress, appraisal, and coping.: Springer publishing company; 1984.
(91) Lyons AM, Leon SC, Phelps CER, Dunleavy AM. The impact of child symptom severity on stress among parents of children with ASD: The moderating role of coping styles. J Child Fam Stud 2010;19(4):516–524.
(92) Pakenham KI, Bursnall S. Relations between social support, appraisal and coping and both positive and negative outcomes for children of a parent with multiple sclerosis and comparisons with children of healthy parents. Clin Rehabil 2006 Aug;20(8):709–723.
(93) Wen C, Chu S. Parenting stress and depressive symptoms in the family caregivers of children with genetic or rare diseases: The mediation effects of coping strategies and self-esteem. 2019.
(94) Wallander JL, Varni JW. Effects of pediatric chronic physical disorders on child and family adjustment. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1998 Jan;39(1):29–46.
(95) Carver CS, Scheier MF, Weintraub JK. Assessing coping strategies: a theoretically based approach. J Pers Soc Psychol 1989 Feb;56(2):267–283.
(96) Martinez O, Jometon A, Perez M, Lazaro E, Amayra I, Lopez-Paz JF, et al. Effectiveness of teleassistance at improving quality of life in people with neuromuscular diseases. Span J Psychol 2014 Dec 15;17:E86.