1. Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration. Survival of HIV-positive patients starting antiretroviral therapy between 1996 and 2013: a collaborative analysis of cohort studies. The lancet HIV. 2017;4(8):e349-e56.
2. Deeks SG, Lewin SR, Havlir DV. The end of AIDS: HIV infection as a chronic disease. Lancet. 2013;382(9903):1525-33. Epub 2013/10/25.
3. Guaraldi G, Silva AR, Stentarelli C. Multimorbidity and functional status assessment. Current opinion in HIV and AIDS. 2014;9(4):386-97. Epub 2014/05/29.
4. Kendall CE, Wong J, Taljaard M, Glazier RH, Hogg W, Younger J, et al. A cross-sectional, population-based study measuring comorbidity among people living with HIV in Ontario. BMC public health. 2014;14(1):161. Epub 2014/02/15.
5. Erlandson KM, Schrack JA, Jankowski CM, Brown TT, Campbell TB. Functional impairment, disability, and frailty in adults aging with HIV-infection. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2014;11(3):279-90.
6. O'Brien KK, Bayoumi AM, Strike C, Young NL, Davis AM. Exploring disability from the perspective of adults living with HIV/AIDS: development of a conceptual framework. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2008;6:76. Epub 2008/10/07.
7. O'Brien KK., Davis AM., Strike C., Young NL., Bayoumi AM. Putting episodic disability into context: a qualitative study exploring factors that influence disability experienced by adults living with HIV/AIDS. J Int AIDS Soc. 2009;12(1):5. Epub 2009/11/11.
8. Juni P, Rothenbuhler M, Bobos P, Thorpe KE, da Costa BR, Fisman DN, et al. Impact of climate and public health interventions on the COVID-19 pandemic: A prospective cohort study. CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l'Association medicale canadienne. 2020. Epub 2020/05/10.
9. Shiau S, Krause KD, Valera P, Swaminathan S, Halkitis PN. The Burden of COVID-19 in People Living with HIV: A Syndemic Perspective. AIDS Behav. 2020. Epub 2020/04/19.
10. Jiang H, Zhou Y, Tang W. Maintaining HIV care during the COVID-19 pandemic. The lancet HIV. 2020;7(5):e308-e9. Epub 2020/04/10.
11. Hull MW, Wu Z, Montaner JS. Optimizing the engagement of care cascade: a critical step to maximize the impact of HIV treatment as prevention. Current opinion in HIV and AIDS. 2012;7(6):579-86. Epub 2012/10/19.
12. Hoffmann M, MacCarthy S, Batson A, Crawford-Roberts A, Rasanathan J, Nunn A, et al. Barriers along the care cascade of HIV-infected men in a large urban center of Brazil. AIDS Care. 2016;28(1):57-62.
13. Hargreaves J, Davey C, Group for lessons from pandemic HIVpftC-r. Three lessons for the COVID-19 response from pandemic HIV. The lancet HIV. 2020;7(5):e309-e11. Epub 2020/04/17.
14. Gatechompol S, Avihingsanon A, Putcharoen O, Ruxrungtham K, Kuritzkes DR. COVID-19 and HIV infection co-pandemics and their impact: a review of the literature. AIDS Res Ther. 2021;18(1):28. Epub 2021/05/07.
15. Carpenter BS, Hanass-Hancock J, Myezwa H. Looking at antiretroviral adherence through a disability lens: a cross-sectional analysis of the intersection of disability, adherence, and health status. Disabil Rehabil. 2019:1-8. Epub 2019/01/09.
16. Bulsara SM, Wainberg ML, Newton-John TRO. Predictors of Adult Retention in HIV Care: A Systematic Review. AIDS Behav. 2018;22(3):752-64. Epub 2016/12/19.
17. Lorig KR, Sobel DS, Ritter PL, Laurent D, Hobbs M. Effect of a self-management program on patients with chronic disease. Effective clinical practice : ECP. 2001;4(6):256-62. Epub 2002/01/05.
18. Webel AR, Lorig K, Laurent D., González V, Gifford AL, Sobel D, et al. Living a Healthy Life with HIV; 4th Edition. Formerly Living Well with HIV & AIDS: Bull Publishing Company; 2016.
19. Esyenbach G. Improving the quality of web surveys: the checklist for reporting results of Internet E-surveys (CHERRIES). Journal of Medicial Internet Research. 2004;6(3):e34.
20. EQUATOR Network. Enhancing the QUAlity and Transparency Of health Research. Centre for Statistics in Medicine (CSM), NDORMS, University of Oxford: UK EQUATOR Centre; 2021 [August 25, 2021]; Available from: https://www.equator-network.org/.
21. O'Brien KK, Bayoumi AM, Solomon P, Tang A, Murzin K, Chan Carusone S, et al. Evaluating a community-based exercise intervention with adults living with HIV: protocol for an interrupted time series study. BMJ Open. 2016;6(10):e013618. Epub 2016/11/01.
22. Dillman DA. Mail and Internet surveys: The tailored design method--2007 Update with new Internet, visual, and mixed-mode guide: John Wiley & Sons; 2011.
23. Qualtrics. Qualtrics. In: Available from: http://www.qualtrics.com, editor. Provo, Utah, USA2017.
24. O'Brien KK, Bayoumi AM, Stratford P, Solomon P. Which dimensions of disability does the HIV Disability Questionnaire (HDQ) measure? A factor analysis. Disabil Rehabil. 2015;37(13):1193-201.
25. O'Brien KK, Solomon P, Bayoumi AM. Measuring disability experienced by adults living with HIV: assessing construct validity of the HIV Disability Questionnaire using confirmatory factor analysis. BMJ Open. 2014;4(8):e005456. Epub 2014/09/03.
26. O'Brien KK, Bayoumi AM, King K, Alexander R, Solomon P. Community engagement in health status instrument development: experience with the HIV disability questionnaire. Progress in community health partnerships : research, education, and action. 2014;8(4):549-59. Epub 2014/01/01.
27. O'Brien KK, Bayoumi AM, Bereket T, Swinton M, Alexander R, King K, et al. Sensibility assessment of the HIV Disability Questionnaire. Disabil Rehabil. 2013;35(7):566-77.
28. O'Brien KK, Solomon P, Bergin C, O'Dea S, Stratford P, Iku N, et al. Reliability and validity of a new HIV-specific questionnaire with adults living with HIV in Canada and Ireland: the HIV Disability Questionnaire (HDQ). Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2015;13:124.
29. O'Brien KK, Kietrys D, Galantino ML, Parrott JS, Davis T, Tran Q, et al. Reliability and Validity of the HIV Disability Questionnaire (HDQ) with Adults Living with HIV in the United States. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. 2019;18:2325958219888461. Epub 2019/11/27.
30. Brown DA, Simmons B, Boffito M, Aubry R, Nwokolo N, Harding R, et al. Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the HIV Disability Questionnaire among adults living with HIV in the United Kingdom: A cross-sectional self-report measurement study. PloS one. 2019;14(7):e0213222. Epub 2019/07/11.
31. O'Brien KK, Dagenais M, Solomon P, Worthington C, Chan Carusone S, Ibanez-Carrasco F, et al. Use of Living Strategies among Adults Aging with HIV in Canada: Comparison by Age-Group Using Data from the HIV, Health and Rehabilitation Survey. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. 2018;17:2325958218774041.
32. Kroenke K, Strine TW, Spitzer RL, Williams JB, Berry JT, Mokdad AH. The PHQ-8 as a measure of current depression in the general population. J Affect Disord. 2009;114(1-3):163-73.
33. Do AN, Rosenberg ES, Sullivan PS, Beer L, Strine TW, Schulden JD, et al. Excess burden of depression among HIV-infected persons receiving medical care in the united states: data from the medical monitoring project and the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. PloS one. 2014;9(3):e92842.
34. Wells TS, Horton JL, LeardMann CA, Jacobson IG, Boyko EJ. A comparison of the PRIME-MD PHQ-9 and PHQ-8 in a large military prospective study, the Millennium Cohort Study. J Affect Disord. 2013;148(1):77-83.
35. Pearlin LI. Pearlin Mastery Scale. Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 1978;19(1):2-21.
36. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing [database on the Internet]. GNU Operating System. 2020. Available from: https://www.R-project.org/.
37. O'Brien KK, Hanna S, Solomon P, Worthington C, Ibanez-Carrasco F, Chan Carusone S, et al. Characterizing the disability experience among adults living with HIV: a structural equation model using the HIV disability questionnaire (HDQ) within the HIV, health and rehabilitation survey. BMC infectious diseases. 2019;19(1):594. Epub 2019/07/10.
38. Solomon P, O'Brien K, Wilkins S, Gervais N. Aging with HIV and disability: the role of uncertainty. AIDS Care. 2014;26(2):240-5. Epub 2013/06/27.
39. Solomon P, O'Brien KK, Nixon S, Letts L, Baxter L, Gervais N. Trajectories of Episodic Disability in People Aging with HIV: A Longitudinal Qualitative Study. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. 2018;17:2325958218759210.
40. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). Living with COVID19: Second Review2021. Available from: https://evidence.nihr.ac.uk/themedreview/living-with-covid19-second-review/.
41. Koffman J, Gross J, Etkind SN, Selman L. Uncertainty and COVID-19: how are we to respond? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 2020;113(6):211-6. Epub 2020/06/11.
42. Koffman J, Gross J, Etkind SN, Selman LE. Clinical uncertainty and Covid-19: Embrace the questions and find solutions. Palliat Med. 2020;34(7):829-31. Epub 2020/06/11.
43. Brown DA, O'Brien KK, Josh J, Nixon SA, Hanass-Hancock J, Galantino M, et al. Six Lessons for COVID-19 Rehabilitation From HIV Rehabilitation. Phys Ther. 2020;100(11):1906-9. Epub 2020/08/02.
44. Cooper TJ, Woodward BL, Alom S, Harky A. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outcomes in HIV/AIDS patients: a systematic review. HIV Med. 2020;21(9):567-77. Epub 2020/07/17.
45. Geretti AM, Stockdale AJ, Kelly SH, Cevik M, Collins S, Waters L, et al. Outcomes of COVID-19 related hospitalization among people with HIV in the ISARIC WHO Clinical Characterization Protocol (UK): a prospective observational study. Clin Infect Dis. 2020. Epub 2020/10/24.
46. Bhaskaran K, Rentsch CT, MacKenna B, Schultze A, Mehrkar A, Bates CJ, et al. HIV infection and COVID-19 death: a population-based cohort analysis of UK primary care data and linked national death registrations within the OpenSAFELY platform. The lancet HIV. 2021;8(1):e24-e32. Epub 2020/12/15.
47. Tesoriero JM, Swain CE, Pierce JL, Zamboni L, Wu M, Holtgrave DR, et al. COVID-19 Outcomes Among Persons Living With or Without Diagnosed HIV Infection in New York State. JAMA network open. 2021;4(2):e2037069. Epub 2021/02/04.
48. Waterfield KC, Shah GH, Etheredge GD, Ikhile O. Consequences of COVID-19 crisis for persons with HIV: the impact of social determinants of health. BMC public health. 2021;21(1):299. Epub 2021/02/07.
49. Marziali ME, Card KG, McLinden T, Wang L, Trigg J, Hogg RS. Physical Distancing in COVID-19 May Exacerbate Experiences of Social Isolation among People Living with HIV. AIDS Behav. 2020;24(8):2250-2. Epub 2020/04/25.
50. Jones DL, Ballivian J, Rodriguez VJ, Uribe C, Cecchini D, Salazar AS, et al. Mental Health, Coping, and Social Support Among People Living with HIV in the Americas: A Comparative Study Between Argentina and the USA During the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic. AIDS Behav. 2021;25(8):2391-9. Epub 2021/02/26.
51. Esser S, Gelbrich G, Brockmeyer N, Goehler A, Schadendorf D, Erbel R, et al. Prevalence of cardiovascular diseases in HIV-infected outpatients: results from a prospective, multicenter cohort study. Clinical research in cardiology : official journal of the German Cardiac Society. 2013;102(3):203-13. Epub 2012/11/03.
52. Wang T, Fu H, Kaminga AC, Li Z, Guo G, Chen L, et al. Prevalence of depression or depressive symptoms among people living with HIV/AIDS in China: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC psychiatry. 2018;18(1):160. Epub 2018/06/02.
53. Remien RH, Stirratt MJ, Nguyen N, Robbins RN, Pala AN, Mellins CA. Mental health and HIV/AIDS: the need for an integrated response. Aids. 2019;33(9):1411-20. Epub 2019/04/06.
54. O'Brien KK, Brown DA, Corbett C, Flanagan N, Solomon P, Vera JH, et al. AIDSImpact special issue - broadening the lens: recommendations from rehabilitation in chronic disease to advance healthy ageing with HIV. AIDS Care. 2020;32(sup2):65-73. Epub 2020/03/27.
55. Brown DA, O'Brien KK. Conceptualizing Long COVID as an Episodic Health Condition. BMJ Global Health. 2021(In Press).
56. Power K. The COVID-19 pandemic has increased the care burden of women and families. Sustainability: Science, Practice, and Policy. 2020;16(1):67-73.
57. Wenham C, Smith J, Morgan R, Gender, Group C-W. COVID-19: the gendered impacts of the outbreak. Lancet. 2020;395(10227):846-8. Epub 2020/03/11.
58. Torjesen I. Covid-19: Middle aged women face greater risk of debilitating long term symptoms. Bmj. 2021;372:n829. Epub 2021/03/27.