1. van Gent RN, Siem D, van Middelkoop M, van Os AG, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, Koes BW: Incidence and determinants of lower extremity running injuries in long distance runners: a systematic review. British journal of sports medicine 2007, 41(8):469-480; discussion 480.
2. Taunton JE, Ryan MB, Clement DB, McKenzie DC, Lloyd-Smith DR, Zumbo BD: A retrospective case-control analysis of 2002 running injuries. British journal of sports medicine 2002, 36(2):95-101.
3. Heino Brechter J, Powers CM: Patellofemoral stress during walking in persons with and without patellofemoral pain. Medicine and science in sports and exercise 2002, 34(10):1582-1593.
4. Waiteman MC, Briani RV, Pazzinatto MF, Ferreira AS, Ferrari D, de Oliveira Silva D, de Azevedo FM: Relationship between knee abduction moment with patellofemoral joint reaction force, stress and self-reported pain during stair descent in women with patellofemoral pain. Clinical biomechanics (Bristol, Avon) 2018, 59:110-116.
5. Farrokhi S, Keyak JH, Powers CM: Individuals with patellofemoral pain exhibit greater patellofemoral joint stress: a finite element analysis study. Osteoarthritis and cartilage / OARS, Osteoarthritis Research Society 2011, 19(3):287-294.
6. Boling M, Padua D, Marshall S, Guskiewicz K, Pyne S, Beutler A: Gender differences in the incidence and prevalence of patellofemoral pain syndrome. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports 2010, 20(5):725-730.
7. Willson JD, Loss JR, Willy RW, Meardon SA: Sex differences in running mechanics and patellofemoral joint kinetics following an exhaustive run. Journal of biomechanics 2015, 48(15):4155-4159.
8. Almonroeder TG, Benson LC: Sex differences in lower extremity kinematics and patellofemoral kinetics during running. Journal of sports sciences 2016:1-7.
9. Nunes GS, Scattone Silva R, dos Santos AF, Fernandes RAS, Serrão FV, de Noronha M: Methods to assess patellofemoral joint stress: A systematic review. Gait and Posture 2018, 61:188-196.
10. Csintalan RP, Schulz MM, Woo J, McMahon PJ, Lee TQ: Gender differences in patellofemoral joint biomechanics. Clinical orthopaedics and related research 2002(402):260-269.
11. Noehren B, Pohl MB, Sanchez Z, Cunningham T, Lattermann C: Proximal and distal kinematics in female runners with patellofemoral pain. Clinical biomechanics (Bristol, Avon) 2012, 27(4):366-371.
12. Salsich GB, Perman WH: Patellofemoral joint contact area is influenced by tibiofemoral rotation alignment in individuals who have patellofemoral pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2007, 37(9):521-528.
13. Lee TQ, Morris G, Csintalan RP: The influence of tibial and femoral rotation on patellofemoral contact area and pressure. The Journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy 2003, 33(11):686-693.
14. Besier TF, Gold GE, Delp SL, Fredericson M, Beaupré GS: The influence of femoral internal and external rotation on cartilage stresses within the patellofemoral joint. Journal of orthopaedic research : official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society 2008, 26(12):1627-1635.
15. Liao TC, Powers CM: Tibiofemoral kinematics in the transverse and frontal planes influence the location and magnitude of peak patella cartilage stress: An investigation of runners with and without patellofemoral pain. Clinical Biomechanics 2019, 62:72-78.
16. Boguszewski DV, Cheung EC, Joshi NB, Markolf KL, McAllister DR: Male-Female Differences in Knee Laxity and Stiffness: A Cadaveric Study. The American journal of sports medicine 2015, 43(12):2982-2987.
17. Schmitz RJ, Ficklin TK, Shimokochi Y, Nguyen AD, Beynnon BD, Perrin DH, Shultz SJ: Varus/valgus and internal/external torsional knee joint stiffness differs between sexes. The American journal of sports medicine 2008, 36(7):1380-1388.
18. Sinclair J, Taylor PJ: Sex differences in tibiocalcaneal kinematics. Human Movement 2014, 15(2):105-109.
19. Boling MC, Nguyen AD, Padua DA, Cameron KL, Beutler A, Marshall SW: Gender-Specific Risk Factor Profiles for Patellofemoral Pain. Clinical journal of sport medicine : official journal of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine 2021, 31(1):49-56.
20. Tomoya T, Mutsuaki E, Takuma I, Yuta T, Masayoshi K: A mathematical modelling study investigating the influence of knee joint flexion angle and extension moment on patellofemoral joint reaction force and stress. The Knee 2019, 26(6):1323-1329.
21. Bonacci J, Vicenzino B, Spratford W, Collins P: Take your shoes off to reduce patellofemoral joint stress during running. British journal of sports medicine 2014, 48(6):425-428.
22. Sinclair J, Selfe J: Sex differences in knee loading in recreational runners. Journal of biomechanics 2015, 48(10):2171-2175.
23. Ferber R, Davis IM, Williams DS, 3rd: Gender differences in lower extremity mechanics during running. Clinical biomechanics (Bristol, Avon) 2003, 18(4):350-357.
24. Wickiewicz TL, Roy RR, Powell PL, Edgerton VR: Muscle architecture of the human lower limb. Clinical orthopaedics and related research 1983(179):275-283.
25. Whyte EF, Moran K, Shortt CP, Marshall B: The influence of reduced hamstring length on patellofemoral joint stress during squatting in healthy male adults. Gait & posture 2010, 31(1):47-51.
26. van Eijden TM, Kouwenhoven E, Verburg J, Weijs WA: A mathematical model of the patellofemoral joint. Journal of biomechanics 1986, 19(3):219-229.
27. Willson JD, Sharpee R, Meardon SA, Kernozek TW: Effects of step length on patellofemoral joint stress in female runners with and without patellofemoral pain. Clinical Biomechanics 2014, 29(3):243-247.
28. Lenhart RL, Thelen DG, Wille CM, Chumanov ES, Heiderscheit BC: Increasing running step rate reduces patellofemoral joint forces. Medicine and science in sports and exercise 2014, 46(3):557-564.
29. Willson JD, Petrowitz I, Butler RJ, Kernozek TW: Male and female gluteal muscle activity and lower extremity kinematics during running. Clinical biomechanics (Bristol, Avon) 2012, 27(10):1052-1057.
30. Powers CM, Ward SR, Chen YJ, Chan LD, Terk MR: The effect of bracing on patellofemoral joint stress during free and fast walking. The American journal of sports medicine 2004, 32(1):224-231.
31. Wilson NA, Press JM, Koh JL, Hendrix RW, Zhang LQ: In vivo noninvasive evaluation of abnormal patellar tracking during squatting in patients with patellofemoral pain. The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume 2009, 91(3):558-566.