1. M. Hojat, M.J. Vergare, K. Maxwell, G. Brainard, S.K. Herrine, G.A. Isenberg, J. Veloski, J.S. Gonella, The devil is in the third year: A longitudinal study of erosion of empathy in medical school, Acad. Med. 2009;84:1182-91.
2. A.K. Brownell, L. Côté, Senior residents' views on the meaning of professionalism and how they learn about it, Acad. Med. 2001;76:734-7.
3. M. Hojat, J.S. Gonnella, T.J. Nasca, S. Mangione, M. Vergare, M. Magee, Physician empathy: definition, components, measurement, and relationship to gender and specialty, Am. J. Psychiatry. 2002;159:1563-9.
4. M.H. Davis, Measuring individual differences in empathy: Evidence for a multidimensional approach, J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 1983;44:113-26.5. M. Hojat, S. Mangione, T.J. Nasca, M.J.M. Cohen, J.S. Gonnella, J.B. Erdmann, J. Veloski, M. Magee, The Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy: Development and preliminary psychometric data, Educ. Psychol. Meas. 2001;61:349-65.
6. S.W. Mercer, W.J. Reynolds, Empathy and quality of care, Br. J. Gen. Pract. 2002;52 (suppl):S9-S12.
7. S.S. Kim, S. Kaplowitz, M.V. Johnston, The effects of physician empathy on patient satisfaction and compliance, Eval. Health Prof. 2004;25:237-51.
8. E. Vermeire, H. Hearnshaw, P. Van Royen, J. Denekens, Patient adherence to treatment: three decades of research. A comprehensive review, J. Clin. Pharm. Ther. 2001;26:331-42.
9. W. Levinson, D.L. Roter, J.P. Mullooly, V.T. Dull, R.M. Frankel RM, Physician-patient communication: The relationship with malpractice claims among primary care physicians and surgeons, JAMA. 1997;277:553-9.
10. D. Chen, R. Lew, W. Hershman, J. Orlander, A cross-sectional measurement of medical student empathy, J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2007;22:1434-8.
11. B.W. Newton, L. Barber, J. Clardy, E. Cleveland, P. O'Sullivan, Is there hardening of the heart during medical school?, Acad. Med. 2008;83:244-9.
12. M. Hojat, S. Mangione, T.J. Nasca, S. Rattner, J.B. Erdmann, J.S. Gonnella, M. Magee, An empirical study of decline in empathy in medical school, Med. Educ. 2004;38:934-41.
13. M. Neumann, F. Edelhäuser, D. Tauschel, M.R. Fischer, M. Wirtz, C. Woopen, A. Haramati, C. Scheffer, Empathy decline and its reasons: A systematic review of studies with medical students and residents, Acad. Med. 2011;86:996–1009.
14. J. Colliver, M. Conlee, S. Verhulst, L. Dorsey, Reports of the decline of empathy during medical education are greatly exaggerated: A reexamination of the research, Acad. Med. 2010;84:588-93.
15. K.W. Eva, J. Rosenfeld, H.I. Reiter, G.R. Norman, An admissions OSCE: The multiple mini-interview, Med. Educ. 2004;38:314-26.
16. R. Karniol, R. Gabay, Y. Ochion, Y. Harari, Is gender or gender-role orientation a better predictor of empathy in adolescence, Sex Roles. 1998;39:45-59.
17. Y. Gabay, S.G. Shamay-Tsoory, L. Goldfarb, Cognitive and emotional empathy in typical and impaired readers and its relationship to reading competence, J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol. 2016;38:1131-43.
18. F. Uzefovsky, I. Shalev, S. Israel, S. Edelman, Y. Raz, D. Mankuta, A. Knafo-Noam, R.P. Ebstein, Oxytocin receptor and vasopressin receptor 1 a genes are respectively associated with emotional and cognitive empathy, Horm. Behav. 2015;67:60-5.
19. M. Di Lillo, A. Cicchetti, A.L. Scalzo, F. Taroni, M. Hojat, The Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy: Preliminary psychometrics and group comparisons in Italian physicians, Acad. Med. 2009;84:1198-1202.
20. J. Kliszcz, K. Nowicka-Sauer, B. Trzeciak, P. Nowak, A. Sadowska, Empathy in health care providers-validation study of the Polish version of the Jefferson Scale of Empathy, Adv. Med. Sci. 2006;51:219-25.
21. M. Hojat, S. Mangione, G.C. Kane, J.S. Gonnella, Relationships between scores of the Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy (JSPE) and the Interpersonal Reactivity Index (IRI), Med. Teach. 2005;27:625-628.
22. M. Hojat, D. Axelrod, J. Spandorfer, S. Mangione, Enhancing and sustaining empathy in medical students, Med. Teach. 2013;35:996-1001.
23. S. Rosenthal, B. Howard, Y.R. Schlussel, D. Herrigel, B.G. Smolarz, B. Gable, J. Vasquez, H. Grigo, M. Kaufman, Humanism at Heart: Preserving Empathy in Third-Year Medical Students, Acad. Med. 2011;86:350-8.
24. M. Muszkat, A. Ben-Yehuda, S. Moses, Y. Naparstek, Teaching empathy through poetry: a clinically based model, Med. Educ. 2010;44:503.
25. M. Muszkat, O. Barak, G. Lalazar, B. Mazal, R. Schneider, I. Mor-Yosef Levi, M.J. Cohen, L. Canetti, A. Ben Yehuda, Y. Naparstek, The effect of medical students' gender, ethnicity and attitude towards poetry-reading on the evaluation of a required, clinically-integrated poetry-based educational intervention, BMC Med. Educ. 2014;14:188.
26. D. Chen, D. Kirshenbaum, J. Yan, E. Kirshenbaum, R. Aseltine, Characterizing changes in student empathy throughout medical school, Med. Teach. 2012;34:305-11
27. B.W. Newton, M.A. Savidge, L. Barber, E. Cleveland, J. Clardy, G. Beeman, T. Hart, Differences in medical students’ empathy, Acad. Med. 2000;75:1215.
28. J. Shapiro, E. Morrison, J. Boker, Teaching empathy to first year medical students: Evaluation of an elective literature and medicine course, Educ. Health. 2004;17:73–84.
29. M. Kommalage, Using videos to introduce clinical material: Effects on empathy, Med. Educ. 2011;45:514–5.
30. J.M. Bensing, A. van den Brink-Muinen, D.H. de Bakker, Gender differences in practice style: A Dutch study of general practitioners, Med. Care. 1993;31:219-29.
31. K.D. Bertakis, L.J. Helms, E.J. Callahan, R. Azari, J.A. Robbins, The influence of gender on physician practice style, Med. Care. 1995;33:407–16.
32. J. Kay, Traumatic deidealization and the future of medicine, JAMA. 1990;263:572-3.
33. N.P. Kenny, K.V. Mann, H. MacLeod, Role modeling in physicians' professional formation: Reconsidering an essential but untapped educational strategy, Acad. Med. 2003;78:1203-10.
34. C.H. Griffith, J.F. Wilson, The loss of student idealism in the 3rd-year clinical clerkships, Eval. Health Prof. 2001;24:61-71.
35. E.J. Austin, P. Evans, R. Goldwater, V. Potter, A preliminary study of emotional intelligence, empathy and exam performance in first year medical students, Pers. Individ. Dif. 2005;29:1395-1405.
36. S. Dehning, S. Gasperi, M. Tesfaye, E. Girma, S. Meyer, W. Krahl, M. Riedel, H-J. Möller, N. Müller, M. Siebeck, Empathy without borders? Cross-cultural heart and mind-reading in first-year medical students, Ethiop. J. Health Sci. 2013;23:113-22.
37. M. Hojat, S. Mangione, T.J. Nasca, J.S. Gonnella, M. Magee, Empathy scores in medical school and ratings of empathetic behavior in residency training 3 years later, J. Soc. Psychol. 2005;145:663-72.
38. J.A. Colliver, M. Willis, R.S. Robbs, D.S. Cohen, M.H. Swartz, Assessment of empathy in a standardized-patient examination, Teach. Learn. Med. 1998;10:8-11.