1. Laniado-Laborin R: Smoking and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Parallel epidemics of the 21 century. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2009, 6:209-224.
2. Taylor JD: COPD and the response of the lung to tobacco smoke exposure. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2010, 23:376-383.
3. Papi A, Casoni G, Caramori G, Guzzinati I, Boschetto P, Ravenna F, Calia N, Petruzzelli S, Corbetta L, Cavallesco G, et al: COPD increases the risk of squamous histological subtype in smokers who develop non-small cell lung carcinoma. Thorax 2004, 59:679-681.
4. Smolle E, Pichler M: Non-Smoking-Associated Lung Cancer: A distinct Entity in Terms of Tumor Biology, Patient Characteristics and Impact of Hereditary Cancer Predisposition. Cancers (Basel) 2019, 11.
5. Hopkins RJ, Duan F, Chiles C, Greco EM, Gamble GD, Aberle D, Young RP: Reduced Expiratory Flow Rate among Heavy Smokers Increases Lung Cancer Risk. Results from the National Lung Screening Trial-American College of Radiology Imaging Network Cohort. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2017, 14:392-402.
6. Durham AL, Adcock IM: The relationship between COPD and lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2015, 90:121-127.
7. Young RP, Hopkins RJ, Gamble GD, Etzel C, El-Zein R, Crapo JD: Genetic evidence linking lung cancer and COPD: a new perspective. Appl Clin Genet 2011, 4:99-111.
8. Bowman RV, Yang IA, Semmler AB, Fong KM: Epigenetics of lung cancer. Respirology 2006, 11:355-365.
9. Houghton AM, Mouded M, Shapiro SD: Common origins of lung cancer and COPD. Nat Med 2008, 14:1023-1024.
10. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management , and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (2018 Report). 2018.
11. de-Torres JP, Wilson DO, Sanchez-Salcedo P, Weissfeld JL, Berto J, Campo A, Alcaide AB, Garcia-Granero M, Celli BR, Zulueta JJ: Lung cancer in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Development and validation of the COPD Lung Cancer Screening Score. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015, 191:285-291.
12. Donaldson GC, Seemungal TA, Bhowmik A, Wedzicha JA: Relationship between exacerbation frequency and lung function decline in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 2002, 57:847-852.
13. Curran WJ, Jr., Paulus R, Langer CJ, Komaki R, Lee JS, Hauser S, Movsas B, Wasserman T, Rosenthal SA, Gore E, et al: Sequential vs. concurrent chemoradiation for stage III non-small cell lung cancer: randomized phase III trial RTOG 9410. J Natl Cancer Inst 2011, 103:1452-1460.
14. Albain KS, Crowley JJ, Turrisi AT, 3rd, Gandara DR, Farrar WB, Clark JI, Beasley KR, Livingston RB: Concurrent cisplatin, etoposide, and chest radiotherapy in pathologic stage IIIB non-small-cell lung cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group phase II study, SWOG 9019. J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:3454-3460.
15. NCCN Clinical practice guidelines in oncology [http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp]
16. Yirmibesoglu E, Higginson DS, Fayda M, Rivera MP, Halle J, Rosenman J, Xie L, Marks LB: Challenges scoring radiation pneumonitis in patients irradiated for lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2012, 76:350-353.
17. Palma D, Lagerwaard F, Rodrigues G, Haasbeek C, Senan S: Curative treatment of Stage I non-small-cell lung cancer in patients with severe COPD: stereotactic radiotherapy outcomes and systematic review. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012, 82:1149-1156.
18. Rancati T, Ceresoli GL, Gagliardi G, Schipani S, Cattaneo GM: Factors predicting radiation pneumonitis in lung cancer patients: a retrospective study. Radiother Oncol 2003, 67:275-283.
19. Ma LD, Taylor GA, Wharam MD, Wiley JM: "Recall" pneumonitis: adriamycin potentiation of radiation pneumonitis in two children. Radiology 1993, 187:465-467.
20. Liu WC, Liu HE, Kao YW, Qin L, Lin KC, Fang CY, Tsai LL, Shia BC, Wu SY: Definitive radiotherapy or surgery for early oral squamous cell carcinoma in old and very old patients: A propensity-score-matched, nationwide, population-based cohort study. Radiother Oncol 2020, 151:214-221.
21. Lin YK, Hsieh MC, Wang WW, Lin YC, Chang WW, Chang CL, Cheng YF, Wu SY: Outcomes of adjuvant treatments for resectable intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: Chemotherapy alone, sequential chemoradiotherapy, or concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Radiother Oncol 2018.
22. Lin YK, Hsieh MC, Chang CL, Chow JM, Yuan KS, Wu ATH, Wu SY: Intensity-modulated radiotherapy with systemic chemotherapy improves survival in patients with nonmetastatic unresectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A propensity score-matched, nationwide, population-based cohort study. Radiother Oncol 2018.
23. Chen TM, Lin KC, Yuan KS, Chang CL, Chow JM, Wu SY: Treatment of advanced nasopharyngeal cancer using low- or high-dose concurrent chemoradiotherapy with intensity-modulated radiotherapy: A propensity score-matched, nationwide, population-based cohort study. Radiother Oncol 2017.
24. Chang WW, Hsiao PK, Qin L, Chang CL, Chow JM, Wu SY: Treatment outcomes for unresectable intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: Nationwide, population-based, cohort study based on propensity score matching with the Mahalanobis metric. Radiother Oncol 2018.
25. Chang CL, Tsai HC, Lin WC, Chang JH, Hsu HL, Chow JM, Yuan KS, Wu ATH, Wu SY: Dose escalation intensity-modulated radiotherapy-based concurrent chemoradiotherapy is effective for advanced-stage thoracic esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Radiother Oncol 2017.
26. Auperin A, Le Pechoux C, Rolland E, Curran WJ, Furuse K, Fournel P, Belderbos J, Clamon G, Ulutin HC, Paulus R, et al: Meta-analysis of concomitant versus sequential radiochemotherapy in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2010, 28:2181-2190.
27. Vokes EE, Herndon JE, 2nd, Kelley MJ, Cicchetti MG, Ramnath N, Neill H, Atkins JN, Watson DM, Akerley W, Green MR, et al: Induction chemotherapy followed by chemoradiotherapy compared with chemoradiotherapy alone for regionally advanced unresectable stage III Non-small-cell lung cancer: Cancer and Leukemia Group B. J Clin Oncol 2007, 25:1698-1704.
28. Belani CP, Choy H, Bonomi P, Scott C, Travis P, Haluschak J, Curran WJ, Jr.: Combined chemoradiotherapy regimens of paclitaxel and carboplatin for locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized phase II locally advanced multi-modality protocol. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:5883-5891.
29. Su VY, Yang KY, Yang YH, Tsai YH, Perng DW, Su WJ, Chou KT, Su KC, Yen YF, Chen PC: Use of ICS/LABA Combinations or LAMA Is Associated with a Lower Risk of Acute Exacerbation in Patients with Coexistent COPD and Asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018, 6:1927-1935 e1923.
30. Vatcheva KP, Lee M, McCormick JB, Rahbar MH: Multicollinearity in Regression Analyses Conducted in Epidemiologic Studies. Epidemiology (Sunnyvale) 2016, 6.
31. Charlson M, Szatrowski TP, Peterson J, Gold J: Validation of a combined comorbidity index. J Clin Epidemiol 1994, 47:1245-1251.
32. Chen JH, Yen YC, Yang HC, Liu SH, Yuan SP, Wu LL, Lee FP, Lin KC, Lai MT, Wu CC, et al: Curative-Intent Aggressive Treatment Improves Survival in Elderly Patients With Locally Advanced Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma and High Comorbidity Index. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016, 95:e3268.
33. Lin SH, Wang L, Myles B, Thall PF, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Ajani JA, Cox JD, Komaki R, Liao Z: Propensity score-based comparison of long-term outcomes with 3-dimensional conformal radiotherapy vs intensity-modulated radiotherapy for esophageal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012, 84:1078-1085.
34. Austin PC, Stuart EA: Moving towards best practice when using inverse probability of treatment weighting (IPTW) using the propensity score to estimate causal treatment effects in observational studies. Stat Med 2015, 34:3661-3679.
35. Senan S, Brade A, Wang LH, Vansteenkiste J, Dakhil S, Biesma B, Martinez Aguillo M, Aerts J, Govindan R, Rubio-Viqueira B, et al: PROCLAIM: Randomized Phase III Trial of Pemetrexed-Cisplatin or Etoposide-Cisplatin Plus Thoracic Radiation Therapy Followed by Consolidation Chemotherapy in Locally Advanced Nonsquamous Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2016, 34:953-962.
36. Wang S, Liao Z, Wei X, Liu HH, Tucker SL, Hu C, Ajani JA, Phan A, Swisher SG, Mohan R, et al: Association between systemic chemotherapy before chemoradiation and increased risk of treatment-related pneumonitis in esophageal cancer patients treated with definitive chemoradiotherapy. J Thorac Oncol 2008, 3:277-282.
37. Zinner RG, Komaki R, Cox JD, Glisson BS, Pisters KM, Herbst RS, Kies M, Liao Z, Hong WK, Fossella FV: Dose escalation of gemcitabine is possible with concurrent chest three-dimensional rather than two-dimensional radiotherapy: a phase I trial in patients with stage III non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009, 73:119-127.
38. Choy H, Jain AK, Moughan J, Curran W, Whipple G, Demas WF, Ettinger DS: RTOG 0017: a phase I trial of concurrent gemcitabine/carboplatin or gemcitabine/paclitaxel and radiation therapy ("ping-pong trial") followed by adjuvant chemotherapy for patients with favorable prognosis inoperable stage IIIA/B non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2009, 4:80-86.
39. Socinski MA, Blackstock AW, Bogart JA, Wang X, Munley M, Rosenman J, Gu L, Masters GA, Ungaro P, Sleeper A, et al: Randomized phase II trial of induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemotherapy and dose-escalated thoracic conformal radiotherapy (74 Gy) in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 30105. J Clin Oncol 2008, 26:2457-2463.
40. Arrieta O, Gallardo-Rincon D, Villarreal-Garza C, Michel RM, Astorga-Ramos AM, Martinez-Barrera L, de la Garza J: High frequency of radiation pneumonitis in patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with concurrent radiotherapy and gemcitabine after induction with gemcitabine and carboplatin. J Thorac Oncol 2009, 4:845-852.
41. Rengan R, Mick R, Pryma D, Rosen MA, Lin LL, Maity AM, Evans TL, Stevenson JP, Langer CJ, Kucharczuk J, et al: A phase I trial of the HIV protease inhibitor nelfinavir with concurrent chemoradiotherapy for unresectable stage IIIA/IIIB non-small cell lung cancer: a report of toxicities and clinical response. J Thorac Oncol 2012, 7:709-715.
42. Ju S, Lee HR, Kim JY, Kim HC, Lee GW, You JW, Cho YJ, Jeong YY, Lee JD, Lee SJ: Impact of coexistent chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on the survival of patients with small cell lung cancer receiving chemotherapy. Thorac Cancer 2018, 9:1271-1278.
43. Lim JU, Kang HS, Yeo CD, Kim JS, Park CK, Kim YH, Kim JW, Kim SJ, Lee SH: Impact of Combined Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Status and Systemic Inflammation on Outcome of Advanced NSCLC: Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2020, 15:3323-3334.
44. Qiang G, Liang C, Xiao F, Yu Q, Wen H, Song Z, Tian Y, Shi B, Guo Y, Liu D: Impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on postoperative recurrence in patients with resected non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2016, 11:43-49.
45. Zhai R, Yu X, Shafer A, Wain JC, Christiani DC: The impact of coexisting COPD on survival of patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer undergoing surgical resection. Chest 2014, 145:346-353.
46. Feary JR, Rodrigues LC, Smith CJ, Hubbard RB, Gibson JE: Prevalence of major comorbidities in subjects with COPD and incidence of myocardial infarction and stroke: a comprehensive analysis using data from primary care. Thorax 2010, 65:956-962.
47. Cebron Lipovec N, Beijers RJ, van den Borst B, Doehner W, Lainscak M, Schols AM: The Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome In Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Systematic Review. COPD 2016, 13:399-406.
48. Tager IB, Speizer FE: Risk estimates for chronic bronchitis in smokers: a study of male-female differences. Am Rev Respir Dis 1976, 113:619-625.
49. Xu X, Weiss ST, Rijcken B, Schouten JP: Smoking, changes in smoking habits, and rate of decline in FEV1: new insight into gender differences. Eur Respir J 1994, 7:1056-1061.
50. Allan V, Ramagopalan SV, Mardekian J, Jenkins A, Li X, Pan X, Luo X: Propensity score matching and inverse probability of treatment weighting to address confounding by indication in comparative effectiveness research of oral anticoagulants. J Comp Eff Res 2020, 9:603-614.
51. Halpern EF: Behind the numbers: inverse probability weighting. Radiology 2014, 271:625-628.
52. Rubin P, Johnston CJ, Williams JP, McDonald S, Finkelstein JN: A perpetual cascade of cytokines postirradiation leads to pulmonary fibrosis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995, 33:99-109.
53. Urvay SE, Yucel B, Erdis E, Turan N: Prognostic Factors in Stage III Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2016, 17:4693-4697.
54. Asmis TR, Ding K, Seymour L, Shepherd FA, Leighl NB, Winton TL, Whitehead M, Spaans JN, Graham BC, Goss GD, National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials G: Age and comorbidity as independent prognostic factors in the treatment of non small-cell lung cancer: a review of National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group trials. J Clin Oncol 2008, 26:54-59.
55. Barletta JA, Yeap BY, Chirieac LR: Prognostic significance of grading in lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer 2010, 116:659-669.
56. Giraud P, Morvan E, Claude L, Mornex F, Le Pechoux C, Bachaud JM, Boisselier P, Beckendorf V, Morelle M, Carrere MO, Centers SS: Respiratory gating techniques for optimization of lung cancer radiotherapy. J Thorac Oncol 2011, 6:2058-2068.
57. Giraud P, Djadi-Prat J, Morvan E, Morelle M, Remmonay R, Pourel N, Durdux C, Carrie C, Mornex F, Le Pechoux C, et al: [Dosimetric and clinical benefits of respiratory-gated radiotherapy for lung and breast cancers: results of the STIC 2003]. Cancer Radiother 2012, 16:272-281.